JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

9mm or 40 S&W

• 9mm

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • 40 S&W

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters
These are great posts from 2012 that cover picking the right ammo, which is great and again emphasis on shot placement, but these are also centered around departments use/MIL from the poster's presentation.

The video I used in my post showed 5.7 being ample and suitable for just taking on 9mm. Actual application of 5.7 is little simply because of lack of adoption and years of use unlike the prior 3. Everyone agrees pistols only there to fight you way to a rifle and everyone agrees SBR/Rifles in fact do more damage reliably - no arguing there.

Fortunately, I am neither a LE nor MIL so I don't have to worry about anecdotes from certain encounters nor department budgets or MIL contract, I am simply a guy who works 40hrs every week with my own funding/training. I am willing to give things a chance and the video I linked above gives it a compelling reason for me personally. I already own a 9/40/45 so why not give something a go? again 9mm people always argue capacity and shot placement, even the linked forums seem to indicate this by selecting good ammo and training.

Again, price and training will be an issue here and likely holster options.

a dirty example but this seems to give statement that the 5.7 is effective against targets

While it lacks official autopsy reports it seems to reason that 13 people were killed by this caliber from a handgun. I'd say that's effective even if its gathered data from a crime none the less. It also mentions in there that it depends on whose explaining its effectiveness (sounds eerily close to 9/40/45 depending on who you ask and its application)

Last Edited:
I own two .40 cal pistols. My first was designed around the 40 S&W round which is the HK USP 40. With the colder weather I can carry my USP 40 just fine. But when weather warms I was carrying the XD40SC. For SD I was using the Barnes TAC-XPD 140gr S&W 40 instead since my SC only has a 3" barrel.

I later bought an HK VP9 that I carried concealed for years. I do have a G17 Gen 5 that I am carrying as sometimes as well instead of the VP9. The VP9 is almost as large as my G17. The barrel is a bit longer but on my G17 but I can carry either pistol in an IWB holster.

I carry either, both work well with my chosen ammo(s). The .40 has more punch to the pop, the ammo choice is somewhat limited compared to the 9. The .40 carries fewer rounds compared to the 9, but in my experience those terrible seconds are over long before the magazine is empty. Either round with modern ammo.
Currently looking for a G19 for edc. Retiring my .40 to "trunk carry"...

Last Edited:
Carry one of 3 guns, a sig p229 dak in .40, a fnp45 (winter/ cold weather guns) or a model 49 s&w 38 special (summer gun). Don't even consider a 9mm feasible. Not looking to start an argument, it's just my preference.

carry30x1.jpg

I'll just leave this here.

9701394-cartoon-ape-with-a-monkey-wrench-isolated-on-white.jpg

Physics don't lie. I have both calibers that are originally being compared, and have carried both. I now carry a PMR 30, my wife has a 651PD. I'll get one too as well just as soon as I can afford it. Ask a farm butcher what he shoots those big steers with...it will most likely be the lowly 22WMR. Then watch comparisons between that and the 5.7.

I used to hunt exclusively with a handgun, and having killed 17 deer, 2 elk, and some other critters, all with a 44 RM and some really, really hot loads; there is no such thing as "knock-down power" that I've seen in my 44's. Maybe the 9's, 40's, 10's, and 45's have it. I don't know as I've never shot any Sitka Blacktail, or a Roosevelt elk with any of them. I do know that my 44 wouldn't "knock" one down.

Physics don't lie. I have both calibers that are originally being compared, and have carried both. I now carry a PMR 30, my wife has a 651PD. I'll get one too as well just as soon as I can afford it. Ask a farm butcher what he shoots those big steers with...it will most likely be the lowly 22WMR. Then watch comparisons between that and the 5.7.

I used to hunt exclusively with a handgun, and having killed 17 deer, 2 elk, and some other critters, all with a 44 RM and some really, really hot loads; there is no such thing as "knock-down power" that I've seen in my 44's. Maybe the 9's, 40's, 10's, and 45's have it. I don't know as I've never shot any Sitka Blacktail, or a Roosevelt elk with any of them. I do know that my 44 wouldn't "knock" one down.
"knock down" used to be a VERY common thing before the net came along. TV and movies used to show it and an alarming number of shooters believed it. I used to take anyone who would not believe me to a shooting spot and shoot a 50# bag of sand. It would of course not move off the table. I would then tell them if it will not "toss" that 50# bag how is it going to toss a 200# person? MANY would look on in shock as they had been told all their life a fiction and they could not believe what they were seeing. Now when the term is used I have to assume they mean they are hoping for one shot stops. That too is VERY subjective now days. So many video of people pumping multiple rounds into some drugged up zombie who just will not go down since they can't feel pain. Can be scary as all hell to watch.

Just one point: greater surface area gives greater shock effect.

All things being equal, same weight and velocity across .45, or .40, vs 9mm leads to greater shock effect.

BUT we keep talking about this because "all things are NOT equal."

Just one point: greater surface area gives greater shock effect.

All things being equal, same weight and velocity across .45, or .40, vs 9mm leads to greater shock effect.

BUT we keep talking about this because "all things are NOT equal."
One tenth of an inch difference in diameter makes little difference in "shock effect" (0.452 minus 0.355 == 0.097"). Even expanded the difference is minor; fractions of an inch.

OTOH, the diameter will have an effect on penetration - a larger diameter projectile will not penetrate as far, all else being equal. The shape of the projectile will have a larger effect, especially if the projectile expands; an expanding 9mm projectile will do more damage than a solid .45 projectile (if mass and velocity are the same) because generally JHP 9mm projectiles today look like this after expansion:
FP_P9HST1_9mmLugerHydraShokUpset_A.jpg

In short, there are just too many variables to make wide sweeping generalizations about bullet caliber. Mass, velocity, bullet design, the target composition, are just a few of the variables.

In short, there are just too many variables to make wide sweeping generalizations about bullet caliber. Mass, velocity, bullet design, the target composition, are just a few of the variables.
Inertia being one not often discussed. Talking different calibers, "all things being equal' doesn't typically translate in real world application.

Just sayin....

Einstein said it best; "E=mC^2" (my phone won't let me put an exponent).

Velocity has MUCH more effect than frontal area. A 22-250 has WAY more energy than a 45 ACP does at any range. (Apples to Oranges for effect).

I carry a 40, mostly because of my personal prejudice towards the 9mm. I was in the service when the 9mm was adopted and was firmly in the 45acp camp so poo poo'd the 9 for a long time. As for the vidio, duck, cover and keep backing away seems like all good choices to me. I wouldn't want to actively engage unless forced to. That being said I don't want to be a victim so will fight back.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top