JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

9mm or 40 S&W

• 9mm

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • 40 S&W

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters
I tend more toward "What do I shoot best in that size gun"
I mostly carry compact CCW guns, But if I'm carrying a 1911 its in 45.
My EDC is a 642 S&W J frame. That's what is in my pocket as I type this. DR
^^^This. I also tend more towards CCW guns these days. That means S&W 642 (iwb leather) is usually tucked in the belt these days with four reloads. If I might find myself in a more unsavory area it's the P365 (iwb kydex) with a couple of reloads.

Downtown Portland, casual dress is the Sig M11 (iwb kydex) with 3 reloads…. Downtown Portland dressed up a bit, a commander 1911 in .45 ACP (Miami Classic) with 3 reloads.

That's just me…

Gun+suppressor+tax stamp…. What's another 2-300 dollars? Haha.
You mean like this?

DE80657C-E6FF-4DAA-B4EC-E236381EAA5A.jpeg

I used to shoot a lot of .40 when I reloaded 10mm just because it kept components simple, but the reality is that the carry options in 9mm are far better than what's available in .40 "Short & Weak". I will always try to carry 10mm first, but 9mm is a close second.

Yeah 10mm all day with some lehigh defense xtreme penetrator in case there is some bullet "proof" glass between you and the money. wait what... 10mm and when you run out of round I am sure there will be like 5 glock 19s you can pick up.

I've been happy with the 9mm from way back.
Back then, to me, the only choices were the Browning BDA in .45 and the Browning Hi-Power in 9mm. I chose the 9mm with the fine beer can type target sights. Glad I did. I've worn out a few.
I've shot lots of animals using factory loads and handloads using everything from the old Speer 88gr hollow points loaded nuclear to hard cast by me 170gr SWC's and everything in between. Hell, I've still got some GECO BAT ammo.
The 9mm is a very capable cartridge.

The arguments don't change much so I'll simply say... I prefer .40 for kinetic energy. For those that have had the misfortune of placing lead on a live target before... it matters (as does hole size/critical injury probability/seconday tissue trauma).... and you can't argue physics.

I don't find the recoild to be an issue, I'm proficient with it, I find it a nice balance between round count/ballistics (vs .45) and they are a very comfortable carry... for me.

The only thing I really refute is the whole, "with ballistic improvements 9mm will do anything a .45 or .40 will do." argument. It might make a person feel all warm and fuzzy, but that's really only true if the .40 and .45 ballistics hadn't improved right along with advances in 9mm... and again... you can't argue physics.

To each their own.

The only thing I really refute is the whole, "with ballistic improvements 9mm will do anything a .45 or .40 will do." argument. It might make a person feel all warm and fuzzy, but that's really only true if the .40 and .45 ballistics hadn't improved right along with advances in 9mm... and again... you can't argue physics.
It's funny how that little fact always gets glossed over.
There is no substitute for horsepower.

The arguments don't change much so I'll simply say... I prefer .40 for kinetic energy. For those that have had the misfortune of placing lead on a live target before... it matters (as does hole size/critical injury probability/seconday tissue trauma).... and you can't argue physics.

I don't find the recoild to be an issue, I'm proficient with it, I find it a nice balance between round count/ballistics (vs .45) and they are a very comfortable carry... for me.

To each their own.
I always get a kick out the 40 short and weak comments. My carry ammo is 150 grain underwood which falls out of the barrel at 1300 fps. Thats about 560 lb/ft which is well in 10mm range

I always get a kick out the 40 short and weak comments. My carry ammo is 150 grain underwood which falls out of the barrel at 1300 fps. Thats about 560 lb/ft which is well in 10mm range
Most of the short and weak is of course due to the reason the 40 came about. I too LOVE the 10mm but, depends on are we talking a full size pistol or are we getting into the very small pistols. The .40 and then even the 9 start to gain advantage when people start trying to go smaller and lighter and still not go down to something like a .380. The tech got to the point decades back where they could make pistols so powerful a lot of people could not shoot them well. So then all the "trade off" starts to come in. This I keep being told is why the .40 came about. Some of the LEO's handed a 10 could not shoot it well and needed something "toned down" a little. There was of course more to it than that but the common theme was some smaller people could not shoot the pistol they wanted to hand them.

A 40 is a de-tuned and shortened 10, that's the facts Jack. To compare a hot-rodded 40 to a milk-toast 10 is the same argument as "bullet technology has made the 9 better than any other caliber". Compare a hot-rodded 40 to a full house 10 and get back to me. I carry a 40 daily and own a 10 they are not even close in horse power. As they say in racing "there is no replacement for displacement".

To each their own.
You ever try to hit a pop can past 75 yards? Can't lie about ballistics.

Lool

You ever try to hit a pop can past 75 yards? Can't lie about ballistics.
Ever try to hit a pop can past 75 yards with ANY caliber handgun when the adrenaline is pumping during a SD situation?

Maybe it's misguided, but I believe that using the right tool for the job matters. 75+ yards.... that's what AR pistols and rifles are for. :s0155:

Ever try to hit a pop can past 75 yards with ANY caliber handgun when the adrenaline is pumping during a SD situation?

Maybe it's misguided, but I believe that using the right tool for the job matters. That's what AR pistols and rifles are for. :s0155:
Thats why I like shotguns with birdshot. I dont even have to aim. You know, for all those times when I am shooting at someone 225 feet away.

A 40 is a de-tuned and shortened 10, that's the facts Jack. To compare a hot-rodded 40 to a milk-toast 10 is the same argument as "bullet technology has made the 9 better than any other caliber". Compare a hot-rodded 40 to a full house 10 and get back to me. I carry a 40 daily and own a 10 they are not even close in horse power. As they say in racing "there is no replacement for displacement".
I used to think I was was recoil insensitive. Then I got ahold of a box of full power 45 Colt loads from Buffalo bore. Changed my mind when my wrist stopped hurting. In any case mid level 10mm is about where muzzle rise and target reacquiring for me becomes tedious at least for me. Hot 40's are a bit below that threshold. 9mm has a lot more room to grow in that regards but its power left on the table IMHO.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top