JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My friend is considering a Bersa Thunder 380. He can't afford a P232 which is what he'd rather get. But, he is mortified by 380acp ammo cost and wants to give the 9 Luger slim sub-compacts a hard look.

He thinks the Glock26 is too thick for his taste and at ~$500 is a bit out of his budget. So, we are limited to the likes of Kel-Teck PF-9, Diamondback DB9, and other brands I cringe at the thought of them.

I am unfamiliar with the entry level slim sub-compacts reliability and overall bang-for-the-buck, so I am just opening the floor for your sage advise.

As far as price look at the Stoeger Cougar. Originally designed and built by Beretta. Sportsman's Warehouse had them for $399 NIB. Very solid all metal gun. Not the thinnest because it is a double stack magazine but good as far as bang for the buck. Good luck,
Mike

Both the PF9 and the CW9 are looking pretty good.
The Cougar is too heavy for CC at 32oz empty but otherwise looks like a fine gun. I've always been partial to Beretta designs.
And about the budget/job, it is what it is. We are not talking a single guy with a min wage job and not a worry in the world. This is an empty nester with a chronically ill wife and two jobs.

If he is a good friend then give him or loan him one of your guns if he needs one. Guy is haveing hard times you stand by him if he is a friend. Unless of course you think he might do something bad.

jj

cw9 is the gun for him for sure and 400 out the door is not un heard of.ive carried and carry lots of guns iwb at 3o clock i forget im wearing my cw. i know a guy whos got a cm for sale for 400.

Depends on whether he's looking for a range gun or a carry piece or both. The Bersa 380 is a great, tough, and underappreciated pistol that I've never heard an owner say anything bad about. It's a bit too large and heavy to be a pocket pistol, but it hides easily with the right holster. It's also a nice range gun. Had a 75-year old guy who owns over 40 guns shooting one next to me at the range yesterday tell me it's one of his favorite guns. But .380 is pricey. If he just wants a 9mm carry pistol he can shoot enough to get accurate with, ditto on the Kel-Tek PF9. I had one a while back. Never malfunctioned on me and accurate enough for me to hit 50/50 center mass on a profile target at 50 feet. And Kel-Tek's customer service is second to none, so if he gets a lemon, they'll make it right But it's not a gun he's going to enjoy shooting a lot too light, too powerful If he wants a range gun that he can carry, albeit more , ditto on the Stoeger. Basically, Beretta moved production of the same weapon to Turkey where Stoeger produces it to Beretta standards.

Better yet, go to Gunbroker.com or a reliable online dealer like Budsgunshop.com (free shipping and a good layaway plan) and do a search on 9mm from $275-400. You'd be amazed at how many good, reliable, and long-to-lifetime warrantied pistols from respected manufacturers show up.

As to the last snobby comment by "JustJim" about your friend getting a slingshot or a better job, let me apologize for him and also refer "JustJim" to the forum rules. We should be encouraging people who want to join the shooting culture and educating them on how to do so within their means, regardless of how much they earn, instead of directing pre-adolescent put-downs at them. I have some nice guns, but my favorite is still a $375 lifetime-warrantied Rock Island Armory Officers model 1911 .45 that routinely outshoots the custom Kimbers that other guys bring to the range. But, unlike JustJim, they're man enough to admit that a lot of bucks doesn't necessarily translate into a great gun. Nobody at my range ever says a thing but "great shooting" when my cheapo gun beats them out.

Hope your friend finds something he enjoys.

Just checked and Buds Gun Shop lists a CW9 for $371 with free shipping. He'd have to pay a transfer fee to a local FFL but there are some places that only charge $20-25 for that. And Kahrs are amazing. My carry gun is a Kahr PM40 that is incredibly accurate and completely reliable. Part if that accuracy is due to the precision engineering and design, but a lot of it is also due to what in my opinion is the best double action trigger right out of the box of any pistol around.

9mm single stacks
Kel-Tec PF9
Ruger LC9
Kahr CM9
Kahr CW9
Walther PPS (a little over budget)

Another option is a Ruger SR9C, which is relatively slim for a doublestack.

Depends on whether he's looking for a range gun or a carry piece or both. The Bersa 380 is a great, tough, and underappreciated pistol that I've never heard an owner say anything bad about. It's a bit too large and heavy to be a pocket pistol, but it hides easily with the right holster. It's also a nice range gun. Had a 75-year old guy who owns over 40 guns shooting one next to me at the range yesterday tell me it's one of his favorite guns. But .380 is pricey. If he just wants a 9mm carry pistol he can shoot enough to get accurate with, ditto on the Kel-Tek PF9. I had one a while back. Never malfunctioned on me and accurate enough for me to hit 50/50 center mass on a profile target at 50 feet. And Kel-Tek's customer service is second to none, so if he gets a lemon, they'll make it right But it's not a gun he's going to enjoy shooting a lot too light, too powerful If he wants a range gun that he can carry, albeit more , ditto on the Stoeger. Basically, Beretta moved production of the same weapon to Turkey where Stoeger produces it to Beretta standards.

Ditto what Synaptic said. I have the Bersa Thunder and it's great at the range and still very small. The Bersa is almost twice as heavy (but still feels light) as the Kel Tec 9, so the recoil is almost nonexistent with the 380 ammo. WallyWorld sells Tula .380 for around $14 if you need cheap range ammo. Quality SD ammo is equally as expensive as 9mm. If the gun being purchased will be used at the range often, the owner's hand will feel the difference in recoil before his wallet feels the difference in price. Be sure to shoot a box of ammo through any pocket 9 before buying one because you may not like it as much as shooting 9mm out of a Beretta 92 or Glock 17.

If the gun was for range only, the Stoeger Cougar would also be at the top of my list for a value priced pistol.

My friend wants a carry piece. The gun he really wants is a P232 but it is out of range. But, that's gonna be his only gun (he's got a discontinued 32acp pocket POS he never shoots). He also understands he will have to get proefficient with it (shoot a lot), thus, the 9mm Luger.

I am helping my friend in any way I can. I just don't need to be public about it. ;) He wants to buy a gun and I am helping him choose wisely. I suspect he might end up buying the Bersa anyways.

Better yet, go to Gunbroker.com or a reliable online dealer like Budsgunshop.com (free shipping and a good layaway plan) and do a search on 9mm from $275-400. You'd be amazed at how many good, reliable, and long-to-lifetime warrantied pistols from respected manufacturers show up.

As to the last snobby comment by "JustJim" about your friend getting a slingshot or a better job, let me apologize for him and also refer "JustJim" to the forum rules. We should be encouraging people who want to join the shooting culture and educating them on how to do so within their means, regardless of how much they earn, instead of directing pre-adolescent put-downs at them. I have some nice guns, but my favorite is still a $375 lifetime-warrantied Rock Island Armory Officers model 1911 .45 that routinely outshoots the custom Kimbers that other guys bring to the range. But, unlike JustJim, they're man enough to admit that a lot of bucks doesn't necessarily translate into a great gun. Nobody at my range ever says a thing but "great shooting" when my cheapo gun beats them out.

Hope your friend finds something he enjoys.

That's fine, but keep in mind that guns don't outshoot anyone...people do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top