JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm starting to reload 9mm Luger and I have two sets of dies available to me. I'd appreciate feedback on your experience with them. Mixing and matching from both is also possible.
  1. Lee Deluxe 4-Die Set (carbide sizing, powder-through expander, seater, carbide factory crimp)
  2. RCBS 3-Die Carbide Taper Crimp Set (carbide sizer, expander, seater w/ TC)
I'll be reloading on a Forster Co-Ax single-stage press. I won't be reloading high volumes. Loading the 137gr Jack Hammer from Hammer Bullets and currently only have Longshot powder available to me.

My first impressions are that I like the powder-through feature of the Lee expander die. I also like that the RCBS seater came with two different stems for different style bullets. The sizing dies seem indistinguishable and I will likely just use a light taper crimp in the seater.

I reload several bottleneck rifle cartridges, but this is my first time reload a straight case handgun cartridge. Insights welcome and thanks in advance.

Both are good die sets. However if the Lee comes with their carbide crimp die, I would go that route. I know it's an extra step for a single stage presses vs. a die that seats and crimps. But the rounds will always chamber when using Lee's carbide crimp die.

I use Lee, RCBS, and Dillon dies for loading handgun cartridges. Somewhat personal preference, but I like to crimp on a separate stage after seating the bullet. I load handgun on either a Dillon 550 or 650, so it doesn't require a separate step as would be the case on the Co-Ax (great press BTW, that's what I use for rifle loading rifle).

That said, i've loaded lots of 9mm with a RCBS carbide set, seating and crimping in the same stage.

I started w/ the Lee 3die set (I was lucky to even find it a few months ago!) but I'm not using the expander (running a Dillon) but I did purchase the separate taper crimp die (Lee). I just didn't like the combining seating/crimping esp. when I had this lovely 5 station press ;) I've definitely come to like the separates.

It sound like all of you who have responded so far would lean toward using the separate crimp die (the Lee carbide factory crimp die in this case). I'm not against taking an extra step and I can appreciate the feel for separating things out into individual steps. For those who use the Lee FCD, do you pretty much use it as described in the instructions? I've heard some variants out there.

For any of you who have used the Lee powder-through expander, have you experienced any issues? Meaning: does powder flow well or do grains get hung up inside?

Thanks for the feedback.

I haven't used the Lee powder through expander die, but case mouth expanding/case mouth belling on the Dillon is done via the powder funnel in the powder station die. No issues with this setup for me, once you have it adjusted correctly for the bullets you are loading. Some powders meter better than others on my setups. I haven't loaded with Longshot. What powder measure are you using?

I've got an FX120i with autoloader setup for throwing and weighing powder, which I use for my rifles. I'll use it for the 9mm as well.

I've been sitting here thinking through the steps and I think I'll skip the Lee powder-through expander and use the RCBS. If I used the Lee, I'd end up filling X number of cases with powder and have them sitting on my bench until I seated bullets (since I'm using a single-stage). I don't like to do that. I prefer to completely shape brass and then toss powder into a case and seat a bullet immediately. Sounds like I'm now leaning toward using all three RCBS dies, but doing a final crimp step with the Lee FCD.

Sounds like I'm now leaning toward using all three RCBS dies, but doing a final crimp step with the Lee FCD.
The RCBS semi auto bullet seating/crimp dies are a taper crimp style and work very well and they save you a step.

I have never had a problem with anything chambering when using them.

I no longer however roll crimp anything that requires it with roll crimp dies.

I use the RCBS dies to load 9mm on a single stage RC press. I also do the crimping in a separate step. It takes some time to load this way, but I'm retired and have the time.

I'm starting to reload 9mm Luger and I have two sets of dies available to me. I'd appreciate feedback on your experience with them. Mixing and matching from both is also possible.
  1. Lee Deluxe 4-Die Set (carbide sizing, powder-through expander, seater, carbide factory crimp)
  2. RCBS 3-Die Carbide Taper Crimp Set (carbide sizer, expander, seater w/ TC)
I'll be reloading on a Forster Co-Ax single-stage press. I won't be reloading high volumes. Loading the 137gr Jack Hammer from Hammer Bullets and currently only have Longshot powder available to me.

My first impressions are that I like the powder-through feature of the Lee expander die. I also like that the RCBS seater came with two different stems for different style bullets. The sizing dies seem indistinguishable and I will likely just use a light taper crimp in the seater.

I reload several bottleneck rifle cartridges, but this is my first time reload a straight case handgun cartridge. Insights welcome and thanks in advance.
The biggest difference between Lee and most everyone else is that everyone else uses finer threads for their adjustments. Once the adjustments are locked in they don't make any difference at all.
in pistol ammo where I cast my own bullets and have not changed anything for decades those adjustments are still locked in place decades later. But with rifle ammo where I change bullets often, I will even spring for Micrometer seating dies.
The powder through aspect only comes in handy when loading on a turret or progressive machine. I have an auto powder measure mounted on that powder through die. For that it works great, but on a single stage not so much.
I still use an old 3 die set that crimps on the seating die. They still load great ammo but you have to use cases that are trimmed the same length. That fourth crimp die lets most people skip the trim in pistol ammo.
So the simple answer is with a single stage press it wont matter much which dies you use. but some of the upgrades make loading more fun. DR

My 38/357 die set is Lee, and the powder through expander works as it should. I do use a Lyman M-Die for coated bullets, but when loading plated or FMJ I use the Lee expander. I put a little funnel on it and rock. If I'm using the Lyman, I have a Hornady powder through die that I just use.

Load on RCBS, Lyman, Lee & Dillon dies and loaded on a Hornady LnL AP, now a Dillon 650.
For 9mm, used to have Lyman and Lee and getting the taper crimp to work properly was problematic to the point I had a kaboom. The Lymans were 9mm, sold with the LnL AP. They worked great.

All brand seater and crimp dies work well. It was operator error that caused my difficulty in getting a good crimp.
Now using Dillon dies for 9mm and have had good, consistent ammo.

About the only big difference I find is the expander.
The Lee "Powder through" expander is crude and gives you very little room for adjustment to bell the mouth. It's more like a tubing flare than a case mouth expander. It is also more difficult for finer adjustment because you are adjusting using the shell holder at 7/8-14 thread pitch.
Lee locking rings are unusable in a Co-Ax.
The RCBS is very smoothly shaped, allows for greater adjustment. The 5/8-18 thread pitch also is much finer.
The Dillon operates much the same, but is also a Powder Through design. Adjusting the Dillon, you are turning the 7/8-14 powder die to adjust the flare depth. Kind of wonky, bu the expander mandrel design is similar to RCBS', and much more forgiving than the Lee to minor adjustments.

I have both. Both are carbide 3 die sets.

There is no difference to me. Though, I prefer the RCBS lock rings over the Lee lock rings.

Accept that......the LEE set is already mounted into my Lee M1000 progressive press. So really.....I don't wish to play around with the settings. That being said....it still pumps out 9mm ammo without any real problems.

Aloha, Mark

I have both. Both are carbide 3 die sets.

There is no difference to me. Though, I prefer the RCBS lock rings over the Lee lock rings.

Accept that......the LEE set is already mounted into my Lee M1000 progressive press. So really.....I don't wish to play around with the settings. That being said....it still pumps out 9mm ammo without any real problems.

Aloha, Mark
I have changed out my Lee lock-rings to Hornady lock rings. Those RCBS lock rings ding up the threads if you're not real careful.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top