JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all!
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of guilt, of having too many guns.......hahah, kidding, no guilt.

But, really, I wonder should I venture in having my Taurus M605 5-shot 38 spl/ 357 mag revolver done up to be able to fire 9mm Luger and short safely?
Why? It seems cool, and I do not want to buy another 9mm/ .357 calibre revolver. I would probably consider selling my last two 357 mag revolvers when I shoot the last of these rounds. But having the flexibility to shoot other rounds seems .......sweet. It may then become my SHTF tool - 4 calibres, one tool. My reading on the net says it possible with some guns-smithing and moon clips.

Should I?
And, thanks.

I wonder if the cost of modifying your Taurus revolver to fire 9mm ...
Would be more than just buying say Ruger Blackhawk convertible in .357 /9mm...
Or a similar revolver...?
Andy
Good point/ question. I am aware of this Blackhawk (and others) but do not want to buy another revolver and then try to sell mine.

I was under the impression the taper on a 9mm case wouldn't work in a cylinder chambered for 38/357. An entire new cylinder would be required?

Anyways, on the subject of 9mm in a revolver. This guy always intrigued me.

1590437726607.jpeg

Sure it'd be neat. Are you also looking at the fact that 9mm is cheaper to buy than .38/.357?
Maybe you should look into reloading if that's the case. Many reload all three for around $2/100 respectively.

It is a cool idea. I used to think the same way, that convertible was a great idea. Over the years I came to the conclusion that it was really only practical for specific reasons, such as a .22lr conversion on a platform you practice with a lot. Otherwise, I came to the conclusion, for myself at least, that it was just so much easier to buy another gun. If you could just swap the cylinders and have it work perfectly and shoot to the same point of aim, and the conversion wouldn't cost as much as a new gun, it might be worth it.

Have u thought about getting a raging judge? It can shoot .454 casul, .410 shot shell, 45LC, 45 schofield, and with adapters, 9mm, 380, 38 special, 22lr, and can't remember but I think 44 mag and some others possibly. I wonder about accuracy with the adapters though. Have never tried personally.

Last Edited:
The ultimate convertible, in a hunting rifle, is the .458 Win Mag. You can shoot .300 Win and Weatherby Mag, 7mm Magnum, .338 Magnum, .264 Magnum, .350 Magnum, 6.5mm Magnum, 8mm Magnum, and about a dozen others! :p

(Added for clarification- I thought the pink smiley and preposterous assertion would be a clear indication of a joke. No, of course you cannot shoot other ammo in a .458WM. Please do not do this and say I said it was OK. Sorry for any confusion. :))

Last Edited:
The ultimate convertible, in a hunting rifle, is the .458 Win Mag. You can shoot .300 Win and Weatherby Mag, 7mm Magnum, .338 Magnum, .264 Magnum, .350 Magnum, 6.5mm Magnum, 8mm Magnum, and about a dozen others! :p

Please explain for this poor iggerunt furriner how you can shoot this -

1590441053635.png

and this -
1590441120255.png

in the same rifle. Surely the .264" diameter bullet will bounce along inside that much larger barrel?

Or is my tenuous grasp on the English language somehow letting me down again?o_O

Surely the .264" diameter bullet will bounce along inside that much larger barrel?

Or is my tenuous grasp on the English language somehow letting me down again?o_O

While I can't speak to your entire question, a smaller bullet certainly won't "bounce along" inside a larger bore barrel. Think of the physics of a shotgun shell and those smaller projectiles in the large barrel, take it a step further and review the physics of adding a choke to the inside of the barrel.

I was under the impression the taper on a 9mm case wouldn't work in a cylinder chambered for 38/357. An entire new cylinder would be required?

Anyways, on the subject of 9mm in a revolver. This guy always intrigued me.

View attachment 701680
I have one on order. I wanted the capability of multiple calibers in a single revolver and I decided this was the safest way to accomplish the task.

While I can't speak to your entire question, a smaller bullet certainly won't "bounce along" inside a larger bore barrel. Think of the physics of a shotgun shell and those smaller projectiles in the large barrel, take it a step further and review the physics of adding a choke to the inside of the barrel.

Ah, right. No choke was mentioned by the OP, only that a plethora of different calbres could be shot down the same rifle.

Shot, sure.

Accurately?

Not a hope in h*ll.

As for the bouncing along the barrel thing, I was using acceptable literary exaggeration, as I'm sure you've figured out.

In any event, the pellets in a shotgun shell are held together whilst travelling down the barrel, effectively as a single mass. I'l therefore ask you to consider the effect of firing ONE pellet down a 12g barrel and see what path it describes.

Note also that the .458 WM case has a diameter of .459" at the neck, whereas the 6.5 Magnum has a diameter of .495" at the case neck...................................hmmmmmmmm.

Last Edited:
Sure it'd be neat. Are you also looking at the fact that 9mm is cheaper to buy than .38/.357?
Maybe you should look into reloading if that's the case. Many reload all three for around $2/100 respectively.
Yes, 9mm Luger is cheaper to shoot is the reason for this possible project. Also, I am thinking of phasing out of the 38 spl/ 357 mag cartiridges from my collection.

Have u thought about getting a raging judge? It can shoot .454 casul, .410 shot shell, 45LC, 45 schofield, and with adapters, 9mm, 380, 38 special, 22lr, and can't remember but I think 44 mag and some others possibly. I wonder about accuracy with the adapters though. Have never tried personally.
I have the Raging Judge Magnum, too, but this is my other CC tool.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews