JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't see dumping the time and money into a Taurus with this sort of conversion, maybe a GP100 or as mentioned above just get a convertible Blackhawk.
I understand Taurus' are not 'sexy' to talk about or invest in, but it works well and it is my last 38spl/357 mag Taurus. I got it new and cheap, do not want to buy another 38spl/357 mag. My other Taurus' are big bores and I love them dearly. Plus, I do not want a single-action only revolver - I do not think I can safely CC a SA revolver.

I dunno.
There is something sweet about loading a revolver cylinder with the correct rimmed cartridges.
Ker-plunk, ker-plunk, ker-plunk and so on.
And then smoothly ejecting the spent cases.
Half moon clips and rimless auto cartridges in a revolver reeks of something cheap and Chinese from Ebay.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:D

I dunno.
There is something sweet about loading a revolver cylinder with the correct rimmed cartridges.
Ker-plunk, ker-plunk, ker-plunk and so on.
And then smoothly ejecting the spent cases.
Half moon clips and rimless auto cartridges in a revolver reeks of something cheap and Chinese from Ebay.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:D
I just look at moon clips as another version of a speed loader. :D

I have a Blackhawk convertible that I love. very accurate with 357, and surprisingly accurate with 9mm. Plus single actions are fun to shoot. I highly recommend it.

Ruger Blackhawk 9mm b.JPG

Please explain for this poor iggerunt furriner how you can shoot this -

View attachment 701717

and this -
View attachment 701718

in the same rifle. Surely the .264" diameter bullet will bounce along inside that much larger barrel?

Or is my tenuous grasp on the English language somehow letting me down again?o_O

Sorry guys, I should have made it more clear that I was joking. I thought the pink smiley indicated that, but clearly not enough. :) I know very, very well that you can't shoot the wrong size bullets in a .458 WM.

I was remembering a story I read somewhere written by a guy who hunted with one. As I recall, his favorite joke was to arrive at hunting camp, and when the other guys would be admiring his rifle, he'd start extolling the virtues of the .458 mag, and how you could shoot any other belted magnum cartridge in it. He would say this with a straight face and full sincerity, even showing them how a 7mm Mag case would chamber. Somehow he got a real kick out of a dozen other guys all trying at once to tell him how "You, you you just CAN'T do that!"

I am thinking of phasing out of the 38 spl/ 357 mag cartiridges from my collection.

This moots your question. If you want a 9mm revolver for cool factor, just get one originally chambered in that cartridge. Like a Smith & Wesson Model 986, a Ruger SP-101, or if you have a thick wallet, wait for a Smith & Wesson Model 547 (doesn't need moon clips) to come along. Or the Taurus 692 mentioned above. There are others. But read further.

I've never owned a Taurus. But in my experience, Smith & Wesson revolvers chambered in .38 Special won't accept a 9mm Para. due to the taper. You might find an old, worn gun that will. That's not a reliable measure of adaptability.

Getting a second cylinder made for your existing Taurus would be prohibitively expensive even if you could find someone to do it properly. Might be cheaper than buying a Smith & Wesson 547, though.

I sympathize with the concept of versatility. Like having a carbine that shoots the same cartridge as a revolver. Or having spare cylinders for convertible single actions. Or having chamber sleeves for shooting centerfire in a shotgun. Or having multiple barrels that fit a single frame. Or shooting shot cartridges out of handguns. Or shooting round ball out of a 28 gauge. I've done all this stuff. Yes, it's fun and novel. BUT: As a practical matter, I've never experienced any benefit from nor necessity for these. I admit I wasted money on these things using versatility as justification for doing the odd-ball. Which I now confess.

I've made rimmed 9mm to shoot in 9mm revolvers but only so I could have ammo that didn't require the use of a moon clip.

I have a Blackhawk convertible that I love. very accurate with 357, and surprisingly accurate with 9mm. Plus single actions are fun to shoot. I highly recommend it.

View attachment 701762
I've heavily considered one of these. Figure the single shooter will eliminate the need to run moon clips. That and most lead and poly coated 9mm have the option to get .357 or even .358 bullets for reloading.

Yes, 9mm Luger is cheaper to shoot is the reason for this possible project. Also, I am thinking of phasing out of the 38 spl/ 357 mag cartiridges from my collection.
So you don't reload, even for your big bore revolvers. You probably don't shoot much.
Get a Korth revolver so you can save money shooting 9mm.

This moots your question. If you want a 9mm revolver for cool factor, just get one originally chambered in that cartridge. Like a Smith & Wesson Model 986, a Ruger SP-101, or if you have a thick wallet, wait for a Smith & Wesson Model 547 (doesn't need moon clips) to come along. Or the Taurus 692 mentioned above. There are others. But read further.

I've never owned a Taurus. But in my experience, Smith & Wesson revolvers chambered in .38 Special won't accept a 9mm Para. due to the taper. You might find an old, worn gun that will. That's not a reliable measure of adaptability.

Getting a second cylinder made for your existing Taurus would be prohibitively expensive even if you could find someone to do it properly. Might be cheaper than buying a Smith & Wesson 547, though.

I sympathize with the concept of versatility. Like having a carbine that shoots the same cartridge as a revolver. Or having spare cylinders for convertible single actions. Or having chamber sleeves for shooting centerfire in a shotgun. Or having multiple barrels that fit a single frame. Or shooting shot cartridges out of handguns. Or shooting round ball out of a 28 gauge. I've done all this stuff. Yes, it's fun and novel. BUT: As a practical matter, I've never experienced any benefit from nor necessity for these. I admit I wasted money on these things using versatility as justification for doing the odd-ball. Which I now confess.

I've made rimmed 9mm to shoot in 9mm revolvers but only so I could have ammo that didn't require the use of a moon clip.
I see your point and I thought the same but here is my thinking - if the cylinder gets cut and I can safely use 9mm Lugers, then GREAT!! I will alternate through my ammo and when I shoot all the 38spl/357 mags, I will not buy anymore. However, since this ammo is widely available, if need be, I can go back to shooting it and not just the 9mm Lugers - think SHTF scenarios. Thanks for your thought.

So you don't reload, even for your big bore revolvers. You probably don't shoot much.
Get a Korth revolver so you can save money shooting 9mm.
I shoot rifles calibres more than handguns, but I save all my brass and will begin reloading the rifle rounds and big bore handgun stuff. Just ordered some dies from Natchezs. I may reload 9mms......might have to buy a Dillion for that.

Are they reloading primers too? ;) I usually buy a box of 1000 primers but my cost per 100 is around 3.50 to 4.00 just for the primers.
I've been going through some 50,000 Tula small rifle ($17/k) I got after the last big school shooting. Not really that long ago.. I use them in my rifles and pistols that take small primers.
:rolleyes:

Get yourself a RUGER Blackhawk convertible single action revolver.

And if you really want to get OUT of your 357Magnum/38Special caliber firearms and go strictly to a 9mm pistol - do it.

Sell your firearms in the one caliber that you choose to get out of and ALL of the FACTORY ONLY ammunition for it as in a package deal. Throw in your holsters too.

Or you could shoot UP all of your ammunition BEFORE you sell your firearms that you want to get out of, clean the firearm, put it up for sale and go from there.

Cate

Sorry guys, I should have made it more clear that I was joking. I thought the pink smiley indicated that, but clearly not enough. :) I know very, very well that you can't shoot the wrong size bullets in a .458 WM.

I might be the only one here who has worked out of Japan, and I admit that in my desire to continue to work there at odd times in an advisory capacity means that my computers are all FL-system based, and not Microsoft Windows.

What this means is that I can't 'see' your emoticons, except as a blank square, so I have no idea what you intended. As such I took your post seriously.

Perhaps it's time for me to invest in Western system computing equipment...

私は日本で働いた唯一の人かもしれないし、私の願望では、アドバイザリ能力で奇妙な時にそこで働き続けたいという私の願望は、私のコンピュータがすべてFLシステムベースであり、Microsoft Windowsではないことを意味することを認めます。これは、空白の正方形を除いて、あなたの絵文字を「見る」ことができないということです。そのように私は真剣にあなたのポストを取った。 おそらく、私は西洋のシステムコンピューティング機器に投資する時間です.

Yes, 9mm Luger is cheaper to shoot is the reason for this possible project. Also, I am thinking of phasing out of the 38 spl/ 357 mag cartiridges from my collection.
Getting rid of the .38/.357s in your collection? The most popular, versatile, and widely available revolver round? This you will regret... Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your..... ummmm... ah well...

Last Edited:
Getting rid of the .38/.357s in your collection? The most popular, versatile, and widely available revolver round? This you will regret... Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your..... ummmm... ah well...
It's a beautiful round, but for a non-reloader it is expensive to shoot.
44 Special/44 Mag is another great.

Get yourself a RUGER Blackhawk convertible single action revolver.

And if you really want to get OUT of your 357Magnum/38Special caliber firearms and go strictly to a 9mm pistol - do it.

Sell your firearms in the one caliber that you choose to get out of and ALL of the FACTORY ONLY ammunition for it as in a package deal. Throw in your holsters too.

Or you could shoot UP all of your ammunition BEFORE you sell your firearms that you want to get out of, clean the firearm, put it up for sale and go from there.

Cate
Something to consider, not that I have not. SAO revolvers are out of the question, not a chance.

I agree it is a popular and versatile round and sadly I do not think I will add it to my reloading list. I only have this Taurus and a DW 6 inch from the 1970s that is in hierlom condition, never gonna carry that toy anywhere except to the range one/twice a year. I carry the Taurus a lot, but the ability to keep the gun after I finish the specific rounds is ideal, and it could be a long while before I do.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews