JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
9mm lugar brass cases turn silver when cleaning with stainless media in mill. They go in brass color and come out silver colored. Do they use a coating on them. The cases are not alum or steel, magnet has no attraction to them. I have never notice it until lately.:huh:

Huh, that's different. If they went in silver and came out brass, I could explain. What is the manufacturer of the brass? Does someone brass coat their aluminum cases now? Are the cleaned cases shiny silver or dull silver?

What are you adding to the tumbler besides the media and the cases? The only thing I can think of is some sort of electroless nickle or zinc plating. Doesn't seem like that should happen by accident. I would guess that your stainless media has something in it beside stainless steel.

This was range brass most is Federal 90% and Win. The silver is a dull silver compared to nickel. There were some 40 cal in the bunch and the 9mm that were in the 40 case are still brass colored and if they were half way in the 40 case because of stainless pins filling the case first the 9mm case would be half brass and half silver. kind of tuff to explain. The soap was 2 tb. Ivory dish soap and 1/2 tea Lemishine. The cases are not aluminum too heavy and not steel was thinking that some plating thing going on. Think I will go ahead and prep and re clean and see what happens. This brass was pretty dirty when received. The stainless pins were pre cleaned by the same soap combination and ran in a empty drum for a half hour before using.
Thanks for the reply
Flash

The inside is silver as well except where a 9mm went inside a 40 and the base was out then the inside stayed brass colored. And just in case, I don't smoke anything.;)

I took all the brass and de primed and sized it. Then I put the brass back in the drum and added the same soap with the Lemishine ran it for 2 hrs to clean primer pockets. When I opened up the drum the brass looked brass colored just like it should, all is back to normal. Going to start pre washing before doing anything as the only thing I can think of is something was in the brass or was mixed in with it that I didn't notice.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you guys are there to bounce problems like I just experienced.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top