JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to be buying a high cap 9mm as my next toy and I'd like to have ideas on what to buy so I don't get tunnel vision.
I don't need it for carry purposes, but it might be used for HD when I'm away from home. I carry XD-40's and love them, but I don't want an XD-9. I don't want the chance to mix up the mags if SHTF.

$400-$450 max budget, new or used.
high capacity (15+1 or so)
Must be 9mm LUGER, not 9x18 Mak.
I'd like at least a 4" barrel
Has to be available in all black
No Glocks, Sigma's, XD's, or XDm's
Must be seriously reliable
Must be able to get mags when I need (Even if they are expensive)
Would like to have a rail for a light
I would like SA/DA with an exposed hammer
No need for adjustable or night sites
Must be easy to disassemble and maintain (Wife will have to be able to do it)

So far I'm looking at the Taurus PT809, EAA Witness, CZ-75, Beretta 92F, and possibly a Taurus PT92 (cuz it has a rail) ... Let me know if I'm missing any good candidates. Pics would be great. Thanks!:s0155:

I have a Ruger P95 with rail. 15+1. Brand new w/ two mags, etc, etc..

I walked out spending a bit less than 400 bones with the check and a couple boxes of ammo..

Its 3.9" barrel tho. not your 4"..

Feeds everything I've put through it, and have not had one malfunction. I haven't kept an accurate count of rounds through it.. However at least 1000 rounds this last year.

Its fun to take out to shoot at cans, etc.. I like it. :)

Beretta Px4 storm....

The scales are tipping towards 20,000 rounds through mine... and not a single malfunction of any kind... what so ever... at all....

I threw in some extra redundancy to prove my point :s0155:

It's accurate enough that I was able to win a local pistol league with it. In the process I beat out some people with very expensive 1911's and custom loads...

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to anyone and everyone I meet... It's a great pistol.

They have interchangeable backstraps to customize the grip size, and they come standard with 17 round magazines, and 20 round magazines are also available.

You should be able to find a new or slightly used one in your price range.
They have one locally I know of, brand new for $450

CZ75 SP-01. 18 round mags, steel or polymer, rail. What more could you ask for?
And its sexy!
cz75shadow.jpg

I do dig the PX4... will have to check them out... The ruger on the other hand, although it's a great gun dosen't feel right in my hand... Aren't the Brownings way out of my price range?
As for the M&P... I shot one a couple months ago and would snatch one up if I could find it in my price range... VERY comfortable shooter.

I do dig the PX4... will have to check them out... The ruger on the other hand, although it's a great gun dosen't feel right in my hand... Aren't the Brownings way out of my price range?
As for the M&P... I shot one a couple months ago and would snatch one up if I could find it in my price range... VERY comfortable shooter.

The Rugers are not for everyone, but for what I wanted.. Its perfect. :) I like the decocker on it too. Big, heavy, ugly, and eats everything without issue.

Sounds like a FNP-9 is what you are looking for. I have a black one in .40 and like it over my Glocks and XD. They come with 3 high cap mags and backstraps to dial in your grip. Dead reliable, and in your price range.

If the Ruger p95 is not for you I would look at the Ruger SR9, much slimmer and less of a chunky feel. If you look around real hard you can get one close to $400 and should be able to find them just about anywhere for under $450 They are also made in the USA.

$400-$450 max budget, new or used.
high capacity (15+1 or so)
Must be 9mm LUGER, not 9x18 Mak.
I'd like at least a 4" barrel
Has to be available in all black
No Glocks, Sigma's, XD's, or XDm's
Must be seriously reliable
Must be able to get mags when I need (Even if they are expensive)
Would like to have a rail for a light
I would like SA/DA with an exposed hammer
No need for adjustable or night sites
Must be easy to disassemble and maintain (Wife will have to be able to do it)

You'd rather buy a Taurus than a Glock or XD?

Some people with their phobias...I swear.

I think I"m going to lean towards the Px4 or M&P.... Now I'll also look closer at the FNP-9. Made in USA helps. Better look at the Sig P250 and 2022 also.

Have the SR9's recall issues been remedied?

I like the CZ-75 w/rail.... is it really heavy like it looks.... I could dang near touch an intruder with a barrel that long....lol

I don't want Glocks because I've had enough of them to know they are not my bag... again they are great guns, but not for me... and I don't want to get another XD because I don't want to stuff a 9mm mag in a .40 or vice versa (or have my wife do it) in a hurry.

And as far as Taurus goes..... yeah, I've owned some and never had a problem with any of them except my errors.... so I won't hesitate to buy one again.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top