JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The SR9's issues seem to have been resolved. Just make sure you purchase one with the glock style trigger and you will be fine. I also believe the most recent models have some of the upgrades of the SR9c including a better trigger.

Hmm so what fits under all these.
$400-$450 max budget, new or used.
high capacity (15+1 or so)
Must be 9mm LUGER, not 9x18 Mak.
I'd like at least a 4" barrel
Has to be available in all black
No Glocks, Sigma's, XD's, or XDm's
Must be seriously reliable
Must be able to get mags when I need (Even if they are expensive)
Would like to have a rail for a light
I would like SA/DA with an exposed hammer
No need for adjustable or night sites
Must be easy to disassemble and maintain (Wife will have to be able to do it)

How about this:

The Zastava EZ9
9mm
NIB $300
can use sig p226 mags with moddification
4" SS barrel
15+1

As for the M&P... I shot one a couple months ago and would snatch one up if I could find it in my price range... VERY comfortable shooter.

I bought a M&Pc this last weekend for $480. I would have to assume you could pick up a used one in your price range (if you could get anyone to part with one), or just pay slightly more for one because they are well worth the money. What's $30 really?

I vote the Beretta. I would say the 92 but no rail for you unless you get the 90-two. Although, mags work from 92f, 92fs and 90-two. Plus should be a surplus of parts since they are M9's (Isn't that why everyone buys AR15s for the SHTF?)

Not to be all nit-picky or hijacky or trollish but referring to these weapons as High Capacity only gives anti's more fodder to chew on and regurgitate. Most of the pistols in the thread are designed to hold 15 rounds or more which would make them standard capacity. Anything less, like California's 10 round max, should be called low capacity IMO.

Anyway back to your question, CZ and FN both make excellent weapons for the money but you really couldn't go wrong with any offering from Glock, Springfield, S&W, Ruger etc. Good luck!

Not to be all nit-picky or hijacky or trollish but referring to these weapons as High Capacity only gives anti's more fodder to chew on and regurgitate. Most of the pistols in the thread are designed to hold 15 rounds or more which would make them standard capacity. Anything less, like California's 10 round max, should be called low capacity IMO.

Anyway back to your question, CZ and FN both make excellent weapons for the money but you really couldn't go wrong with any offering from Glock, Springfield, S&W, Ruger etc. Good luck!

Hi, low, or standard.. It all subjective, unless its compared to something different.

well I'm a dummy... the M&P is out of the race although it had nearly taken the lead... Really want SA/DA....

I'll look into that EZ9... I like how it looks like a sig.... so far it looks like parts are a pita to get. Anyone know if the SIG grips will fit it?

As of now 1st is Px4, then PT809, then PT92... but I haven't really looked at the CZ's that well YET.... I sure want to... it looks like a sweet gun. Same story for the fnp or whatever it was.

Browning High Power... standard mags are 13 rounds, fifteens readily available, and I've seen new mags for the Argentine military version, carry 17 rounds and will work fine. Dead reliable, sweet to shoot, and as accurate as any shooter. I've found a few for $500 and less, more of course for the rarer Belgian, nickel, Comp versions.... I've also seen a number of them in .40 for $500 or less. I've seen the odd 9mm BHP at gunshows for significantly under that five hundred mark asking... who knows how low he'd have got. They also hold their value well, where a new gun will depreciate somewhat. You could probably fine a "shooter grade", a tad scuffed, etc, but still with excellent bones, for closer to $400. Check Gunbroker........ few of them come on here, I've been looking. No bargains, at any rate.

You might also look into the Kahr CW's, though some don't like them, I've seen a number of them on the used counters for $350-400, and there's the P9, four inch barrel. I think Cocktailer has a fair number of Kahr in various rounds and prices, new and used.

I've just bought a Ruger P 89, clean, tight, and solid, two mags (15 round?) little wear..... for three hundred bucks from the Cabelas used pistol case..... I tought it was a deal.... they are heavy and solid, but I like that. Don't much care for the plastic guns, felt recoil on the all metal ones is far less. If you're a member of WAC, the new Gun News has a classified, first one in that section, a P 89 for $400 (made me all the gladder for my recent find.. still probably a fair deal, though he may come down some. MUST be a WAS member, though...... house rules. Two of them on Gunbroker three days ago, right at $300, add shipping, Mother May I fees.... probably about $350 in hand. I opted for the one at Cabelas, it will be reported to the sheriff anyway, but so would anything from Gunbroker. And I've seen and handled this one. No surprises.

Sounds like a FNP-9 is what you are looking for. I have a black one in .40 and like it over my Glocks and XD. They come with 3 high cap mags and backstraps to dial in your grip. Dead reliable, and in your price range.

What he said. I have one as well and its a fine handgun, insanely accurate and reliable.

As of now 1st is Px4, then PT809, then PT92... but I haven't really looked at the CZ's that well YET.... I sure want to... it looks like a sweet gun. Same story for the fnp or whatever it was.

If you're ever in the Eugene area, you're more than welcome to try out my px4.

I ended up choosing the px4 after renting 20+ guns and trying everything friends would lend me. In the end, for me, it was an easy choice. The px4 stood out from the crowd.

I wish I had the option to rent or try out guns before I bought them... I had to buy/sell probably 50 guns to figure out my carry guns. I finally ended up falling in love with the XD's. I now carry an XD-40 4" or SC depending on my mood.
Now I get to buy a toy and not worry about carry size. That's what this post is for...
I will research the high power... but don't think it will be my next pistol..... although I will get one someday.

FYI: I have two Cz's: 75 and 85 Combat. The 75 out of the box does 1.5" and the 85 with handloads does 2.5" at 25 yards. Both are flawless. If you want polymer look at SW/MP 9. Curious why would you switch from 40 to 9mm?

I would consider the Ruger SR9c. If you want a compact you've got one if you want full size 17 round clip you can do that too. I also have an XD-40 and size wise its definitely comparable. I'm looking at both right now and the XD does have a slightly longer barrel probably about half an inch. However if you are using it for HD(Home Defense I assume) I prefer the SR9c, I just don't think you can beat the comforting feeling of a thumb safety. I have never had any jams with my gun and I've probably put 500 rounds through it. It also has a rail for a tac light or Crimson Trace makes a laser for it that fits underneath nicely. The only requirement it doesn't meet is the need of a hammer. I would consider it at least I love mine. Also I believe it is a bit over your price range new not used tho.

Last Edited:
I'm not switching... I am adding. I figure it would be nice to have a 9mm ALSO if SHTF. I'm very happy with my carry guns and want a house gun/toy next.
I'm looking at the SR9, I don't want a compact this time. It is in the running but down the list a little bit. I on the other hand do NOT want a manual safety.
I'll admit that I'm probably getting a lil vain in having the Px4 on the top of my list.... it just looks sexy!
As far ad the Hi-powers and clones.... I dunno what it is but I am not that into them as of now. I will probably be later.
In all honesty it will probably come down to a CZ75 SP-01 or Beretta Px4.

OK... here's the guns I'm still considering...
Px4 G - Best overall WOW gun so far
FNP-9 - Impressive value
Sig SP2022 - Sounds like a great gun
PT809 - Very solid, great reviews
SR9 - no hammer, Manual safety, Should be off my list but I like it
Sig P250 - Good gun, need more research

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show