JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First off I know there are much better choices for this purpose but it's not what I'm asking my Q. is if all you have is a 9mm and you do not do a lot but more than the average trail hiking what would be the best ammo to choose any first hand experience with encounters of four legged nasties would be good also thanks

Underwood extreme penetrators very easy to shoot, even in 10mm. I think they have a better chance at not deflecting in a skull.

Their 147 grain hardcast will penetrate more in flesh and maybe bone, but will probably have more recoil. I own both but haven't taken them out yet or tested them because I always carry the 10mm innawoods. Their have been a couple times where a magazine of hardcast would have been convinient to have as opposed do a whole different gun.

You don't want expanding bullets if you're going up against an unknown woods critter. If there is even a chance you could encounter a bear or something dangerous. You want penetration uber alles.

You can ask @Ura-Ki about his experience with 9mm and four legged critters...

I'd carry 124gr FMJ, because that's what I shoot and I wouldn't be worried about over penetration.

I'd carry my regular 9mm defense loads (124 gr gold dots), cause this would be slung on my shoulder.:D
29A1C3DF-A2B0-4A86-924B-42C2491AA152.jpeg

First off I know there are much better choices for this purpose but it's not what I'm asking my Q. is if all you have is a 9mm and you do not do a lot but more than the average trail hiking what would be the best ammo to choose any first hand experience with encounters of four legged nasties would be good also thanks

When I am out in the "great outdoors" here it's not the 4 legged ones I worry about. It's the 2 legged ones. There are of course some 4 legged ones to be concerned about and up in this neck of the woods the 9mm is pretty good. Biggest thing I would run across here is Bear and they would be on par with a large dog in size. Certainly would not choose a 9mm for one but would not feel it worthless. In my carry 9's I use Speer 124 +P GD. In the sub compact 9 I use the same in the Short barrel +P. This is what I would be fine with in the "outback" up here.

^^^ This ^^^

I've never shot a 4 legged critter, but when I do it will be with FMJ cuz I can't afford them fancy boolitts.

I don't much worry about bear unless I'm in a backpack tent. I don't worry about cougars cuz I'm too old to be attractive to them. It's those mushroom hunters I worry about, they'll plug you to protect their morel patch!!

Last Edited:
Barnes solid copper penetrates pretty well.

My wife and I are talking about doing more outdoor trails and this came up last night lol...

Her, we will be on trails with other people...

Me, yea I'll have my pistol but I'll also have a rifle or shotgun on my shoulder.

Her, that's going to scare other people on the trail you can't take a long gun.

Me, you better believe I will and it's not my issue if some snowflake is triggered by my legal carrying of a rifle or shotgun out in the boonies.

End of conversation.

Ya. And when they complain about your 12 gauge. Remind them of the woman that was recently killed by a cougar.

How she apparently ''Died doing what she loved''.
And how Fighting and screaming for your life.
Only to have your throat crushed as you suffocate. Isn't ''What you love''.

Life on a farm has taught me to carry the hardest-hitting thumper I can. A medium-sized beastie can travel a quite a ways before falling over, even after several 9mm hits. And of course, shot placement is king.

I'd get the deepest-penetraing 9 I could find, if that was my only choice. Wouldn't want to carry it in town, though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top