JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you have to worry about hunting regulations in the woods carrying a rifle on a hike? Worry about this was the impetus for my first AR pistol build. Eliminate issues of having it in the car loaded or camping.

Do you have to worry about hunting regulations in the woods carrying a rifle on a hike? Worry about this was the impetus for my first AR pistol build. Eliminate issues of having it in the car loaded or camping.
I know that in Oregon at least you can legally be out with a rifle and no tag or license during hunting season. Not sure for Washington

Underwood makes some nasty penetrators that will bore into a four legged (or two legged) creature. Just ask Synaptic Silence.
Hahahaha!! Yes, I can personally attest that the Underwood Xtreme Penetrator/Defender rounds, cooking off at a whopping 1400 feet per second, will go straight through flesh and bone in an amazingly efficient manner. Three months out and my ankle is almost back to normal, albeit with pretty cool entry and exit wound scars.

Google it. Lions are seen, photographed, and leave kills in Kansas altho there is "No proof that they are reproducing in Kansas"- or so the "experts" say.. Considering the available food supply it would be surprising if there werent...

The problem is that all the Cougars verified are males (probably young males looking for new territory). It's tough to reproduce without females!

Barnes solid copper penetrates pretty well.

My wife and I are talking about doing more outdoor trails and this came up last night lol...

Her, we will be on trails with other people...

Me, yea I'll have my pistol but I'll also have a rifle or shotgun on my shoulder.

Her, that's going to scare other people on the trail you can't take a long gun.

Me, you better believe I will and it's not my issue if some snowflake is triggered by my legal carrying of a rifle or shotgun out in the boonies.

End of conversation.

Now Bubba THAT takes BALLS, just remember if momma aint happy aint nobody happy! :eek:

LOL :D
Gabby

Now Bubba THAT takes BALLS, just remember if momma aint happy aint nobody happy! :eek:

LOL :D
Gabby

Lived and been out in the stix to long to think going without a long gun and hand gun is a good idea.

My wife may object but we both have our skill sets and trust the other person.

My skill set just includes way more time in the boonies then her. I'm comfortable with other people being uncomfortable with me carrying a shotgun on my shoulder.

I'd most likely avoid taking an AR as I'm not out to scare people, but I won't be a mountain lions dinner either;):D

Lived and been out in the stix to long to think going without a long gun and hand gun is a good idea.

My wife may object but we both have our skill sets and trust the other person.

My skill set just includes way more time in the boonies then her. I'm comfortable with other people being uncomfortable with me carrying a shotgun on my shoulder.

I'd most likely avoid taking an AR as I'm not out to scare people, but I won't be a mountain lions dinner either;):D

I think your choice of a fast handling scatter gun with double 0 buck would be on the money for lion, they are extremely fast and very quiet, keep your head on a swivel. I don't walk in our woods anymore, too slow, and can't hear worth a crap too many rounds down range, and hours riding a noisy diesel of one kind or other.
You might want to do as the AZ Hwy Patrol, did in my day, every other round a slug, just in case that lion is actually a hungry bear, don'tcha know. :rolleyes::D
Gabby

My bare minimum for woods carry when all you have is a sidearm would be a .357 magnum stoked with 180gr hardcast rounds. That being said IF 9mm is your only choice, use the deepest penetrating ammo you can find that shoots accurately AND reliably in your selected firearm along with bear spray. But then if you are real serious about protection carry a real serious sidearm. I do.... .357, 10mm, or a 44 magnum. No bear spray required.... unless you want it.:)

Dave

I'm curious what animals some of you guys are encountering here on Washington's hiking trails that make you want to carry a long gun? Prior to the cougar attack last year, the last fatal cougar attack in Washington was in 1924. I've been hiking for years in Washington and have never been attacked by wildlife. Carry whatever you want if it's legal, but a long gun for protection on the trails is probably unnecessary. If there's good data to suggest otherwise, I'm all for it, but I think carrying a pistol in any service caliber is already more than enough if you don't want to use bear spray or just want to have both.

Let's see..... more people moving closer to the habitat of these critters, outlawing hound hunting for cougar and bear bating not allowed. Just a few reasons that there are going to more encounters with predator wildlife that will probably have a bad result. I don't think you need to pack a long gun every time you hike the woods, unless you WANT to. But paying attention to your surroundings and having some sort of protection is prudent behavior. You don't have be looking for trouble to encounter it. Be prepared with appropriate safeguards. When not carrying a rifle, I ALWAYS have a firearm on my side. JMHO.

I would agree that having some form of protection is prudent. I just don't think that the actual statistics on wildlife encounters really suggests that the frequency of cougar or bear attacks is high enough where the routine carrying of a shotgun or rifle is indicated. Realistically, your chance of being attacked by a predatory human are probably much, much higher and the majority of people feel that carrying a pistol is sufficient protection. I would bet, although I have not personally tested this theory, that most any 9mm +P load are sufficient to deter a black bear or cougar.

I would agree that having some form of protection is prudent. I just don't think that the actual statistics on wildlife encounters really suggests that the frequency of cougar or bear attacks is high enough where the routine carrying of a shotgun or rifle is indicated. Realistically, your chance of being attacked by a predatory human are probably much, much higher and the majority of people feel that carrying a pistol is sufficient protection. I would bet, although I have not personally tested this theory, that most any 9mm +P load are sufficient to deter a black bear or cougar.

Cougar yes, Black bear, not so much.

Cougar yes, Black bear, not so much.

I used to think that too, but some recent article(s) have suggested otherwise.

Defense Against Bears with Pistols: 97% Success rate, 37 Incidents

I also would believe that even a non-fatal wound to a black bear with most common pistols would be enough to cause it to cease its attack. Again, carry whatever you want that is legal, but I personally would not feel unequipped in the majority of Washington's hiking trails with just a 9mm pistol and/or bear spray.

Don't believe everything you read. I would not count on a 9mm to stop a black bear attack. That's just me though as I have better options. If 9 is all you have then by all means bring it.

Last Edited:
I wouldn't want to count on any pistol to stop a bear attack, but I'm just stating that the odds of a bear attack are low on most, probably all, Washington trails and the likelihood that the 9mm pistol would still work in the event of that unlikely bear attack is rather high. Therefore, I don't let the bear attack scenario factor too much into my decision on what to carry to protect myself.

There are some people who want to carry a .44 magnum with a 6"+ barrel or a 12 gauge shotgun with 3" slugs in the event of an unlikely bear attack while hiking. That's their choice. I think being "bear aware" probably would affect the outcome more than the choice of weapon(s).

Let's see..... more people moving closer to the habitat of these critters, outlawing hound hunting for cougar and bear bating not allowed. Just a few reasons that there are going to more encounters with predator wildlife that will probably have a bad result. I don't think you need to pack a long gun every time you hike the woods, unless you WANT to. But paying attention to your surroundings and having some sort of protection is prudent behavior. You don't have be looking for trouble to encounter it. Be prepared with appropriate safeguards. When not carrying a rifle, I ALWAYS have a firearm on my side. JMHO.

You must be one tough hombre to go around bating bears. I personally would prefer shooting them over a bait, from a tree stand. I would mess myself if a bear was close enough to hit with a bat! :eek:
Gabby

I'd carry an AR if a rifle, because nobody thinks that's a hunting rifle and thus you won't be considered a poacher. Maybe convince some yuppies that the woods are a dangerous place.
:D

I built this as my woods hiking/camping/UTV gun last Fall.

It's a Palmetto State Armory Magpul lower with an AR-Stoner 16" upper in .450 Bushmaster.

It's good to go against anything I will run into in my neck of the woods...

QWWHgal2Dr7bJ_0ZtAHQutOI6BGwYDTbTxYXBH9Cq2QpX92IB.jpg

I built this as my woods hiking/camping/UTV gun last Fall.

It's a Palmetto State Armory Magpul lower with an AR-Stoner 16" upper in .450 Bushmaster.

It's good to go against anything I will run into in my neck of the woods...

View attachment 544244
I thought you were going to say it was 9mm Luger and I was baffled as to the reason... but it's not so that's cool!
I've been considering a large caliber AR for hunting as well, but I never hunt so I'd have to justify it as being for bear defense or something. It's just nice knowing I have options.
I like the optic, and the paint job. Perfect for things that go bump in the woods.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top