JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm wanting to pick up a 1911, but dont want to add another caliber. Considering a Coonan is out of my realm right now, that means 9am. What inexpensive ($600 plus tax or less) 9mm 1911's do you like in the 3.5-4" range? I'm content with used to save some money. Idea is a bedside/range gun.

I have a Springfield Armory and Rock Island Armory 1911 9mm pistols. Both shoot fine, only thing to remember is to keep a firm grip shop that the recoil doesn't cause stove pipe ejection issues. Figured this out when my son was having issues and I wasn't.

RUGER Lightweight SR1911 9mm ; I looked at a lot of the video reviews of them yesterday, and it seems solid. Made to take most improving parts but probably wouldn't need them.
No firing pin block Ti firing pin instead to reduce inertia if dropped on the muzzle.Makes for a smoother trigger pull.
No magazine block.
29 OZ. +1 mags avail.
See low price on line at $765 ,,,wish it was $600.
That Made in USA on the side might even take gold leaf highlight.

Why are you dead set on the 1911 platform? Expanding your choices outside that platform offers tremendous opportunities:

S&W M&P 9mm
CZ P10F 9mm
Glock 48 9mm
Without wanting to be rude, but recognizing that it will sound that way.

Does it matter why I'm dead set on a 1911 platform? Why do you drive the car you drive or own the guns you own? Cause they are what you want to have. I want a 1911 cause it's a platform I want to play around with a bit.

As for the 3 you mentioned: I recognize that they are 3 of the most popular 9mm offerings out there, doesnt mean they are right for me.
M&P- I've shot it, its decent. But I dont love it. I've had a few striker pistols in the past and dont care much for them.
CZ P10F- I've never actually shot one, so I dont have an opinion.
Glock-shot many times, not for me.

Hey, fair comment. Okay.....
there are some budget friendly 1911 makers that you might look at. Rock Island makes entry to mid level 1911's. S.A.M. (Shooters Arms Manufacturing) has similar stuff, Remington makes one too. Take a look......

Based on my experience getting into the 1911 platform, if you're set on 9mm in the platform, I would buy the nicest one I could afford.
The 9mm 1911 is also one of my interests, eventually.

CZ P10F- I've never actually shot one, so I dont have an opinion.
Glock-shot many times, not for me.
if you don't like the Gl*ck, the CZ P10 will not satisfy either. Based on my ownership of both.

A buddy taunts me with his Springfield 1911 Stainless 9mm now & again. Very impressive in all aspects. I haven't found one for sale at LGS but see them on line now & then.

A dear friend bought the Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. New. Has all the features of a very nice 1911 but in 9mm. Adjustable sights....
She switched out the *long* trigger for the short one, & put on a set of Hogue polymer grips.
Fired about a thousand rounds before it locked up solid. After a contentious teardown it was revealed that the OEM ejector had backed out, locking the slide to the frame.

Somehow the ejector was pushed back in its hole & the slide was taken off. A careful examination of the ejector revealed that SA has glued the ejector in place instead of JMB's pin design. Very bad.

the only way to fix it was to drill the horizontal ejector hole in the frame & install the pin just like JMB designed. Why SA glued in the ejector is puzzling.

I like the SA RO, & she has posted incredible scores with it, but cutting corners like no ejector pin is unforgivable.WTF SA?

One thing about the 1911 and specifically the High Pressure ammo, do not go smaller then an Officer/Commander or your going to have tuning issues and slide over runs! Once you have one that runs, don't ever get rid of it! ;)

Had a RIA government with the upgraded beaver tail and ambi safety and it was a fine pistol. Personally I sold it off due to the long and loose take up that I just couldn't live with

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads