JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am purchasing my first carry weapon on the 9th of February. I have narrowed it down to two.

I LOVE sigs and own 3 of them already (2 rifles and 1 handgun)

A local shop has the sig 290 nickel with laser and extra extended mag for a flat 500.

I can get a parkerized PF-9 for 300.

I am a skinny guy so weight and Width is important. I know the sig is smaller in every dimension but width at 1.1 inches. The Keltec is lighter at 12 ounces vs 20 ounces and skinnier at .9inches.

The sig wins in height/length, quality, and value for money. Not to mention better looking

But the Keltec is so damn light and thin!

I can't make up my mind without shooting both of them which I havent seen an opportunity to.

Thoughts? I know this can never bring a solid answer but I'm looking for opinions from those who have OWNED AND/OR SHOT THEM. How did they perform? Was the weight of the 290 an issue? Any problems with either model?

Thanks for the help. I just can't make a decision...

... find a range that has them both for rent. Blaze away with the same ammo for range and defense grain.
I'm don't know who to recommend up there in Snohomish ... Wade's (Bellevue) and West Coast Armory (Bellevue) don't have either for rent.

Some other thoughts.
Are you likely to want any accessories (mags, night sights ...) - what are offered for both?

I have the signess ... the P290 is my choice; I like the feel of the extra weight in the hand. That weight is more noticeable for carry and certainly won't be right for pocket carry.
Works well with an inside the waistband holster, with an open top and not moulded; no one handed re-holster though.

The Kel-Tec is cheaper and buys extra ammo for the price difference. The Kahr CM9 falls into this category too.
Both are also a good choice.

Good luck, but really, try and try again at holding and get to shoot the choices if you can ...

If you wait until April, the SIG Sauer P938 is available.
I can't and have been thinking about Cartman's trick of being buried in the snow.

chris

Last Edited:
Don't know if it's the same barrel, slide and such but, had a bad experience with a KelTec P11 shooting 4' low at 30'. Keltec DID make it right but it was a pain and we'll most likely not put money into Keltec again.

Mike

Have you ever actually inspected them and fired them side by side or are you one of those who will just buy a name?

I am one who wouldn't buy a keltec for any price,and have held both brands of guns and can see a definite difference in the quality of both.
I have had many cheap guns in the past.Bought them because of the cheap price. Every time I have sold them within a month because they always feel cheap.
You buy a better,usually more expensive brand gun and you will be happier.I can't afford Sigs or H&Ks,but I have shot them and handles them and they are worth what they sell for.
Just better guns.

Save up a little longer.Put the BETTER gun on lay a way and you will be much happier with your self.

I am one who wouldn't buy a keltec for any price,and have held both brands of guns and can see a definite difference in the quality of both.
I have had many cheap guns in the past.Bought them because of the cheap price. Every time I have sold them within a month because they always feel cheap.
You buy a better,usually more expensive brand gun and you will be happier.I can't afford Sigs or H&Ks,but I have shot them and handles them and they are worth what they sell for.
Just better guns.

Save up a little longer.Put the BETTER gun on lay a way and you will be much happier with your self.

Actually YES I am comparing the two. I also already own 3 sig products, not just shot one once. One is A ALOT cheaper and much much lighter/skinnier. For a person like me where my pelvis is my waist, thinner is better. Of course the sig is better quality, as noted in my post. But thank you for being oh so very helpful!

But usually until I shoot or own a gun I cannot talk crap about it. Just holding it wont solve the problem, so I came here to see if anyone has had any EXPERIENCE with either.

Thanks to those who offered good advice.

I'm going through this very question. First off let me say that ounces, and 10th's of inch's matter. And don't let anyone say, "Oh it's just a couple ounces.. "

yeah, it's just a couple ounces, but ounces add up. And if you view them as a percentage weight of the gun then it illustrates their relevancy a little more.

Width also plays an importance and the difference between .9 and 1.1 is relevant.

Sig makes great guns, no doubt about that. However, there is significant more weight, a little bit more width, and nearly twice the price.

I agree with what cotillion said, and I'd look at the Kahr models. In fact I am looking at the car models. For me the CW9 (not the CM9) is the perfect size gun. Super light weight, thin, holds 8 rounds, and has a quality reputation. You can get one new for $399, or look around and find one used for $350.

I have one on loan to me that I'm carrying now, and I'm sold. I just need approval from the appropriations committee which should be coming through next month.

Try and found a gun shop that rents in your area and try em out.

Worst case scenario, I'll you give you some advice that a friend gave me, just go ahead and buy one... and carry it. If you don't like it you can always sell if for a little less than you paid for it, and then go and get the other one.

I cannot really be objective here. I think Kel-Tec are some of the worst guns ever made and I have had enough of them break on me to reenforce that opinion. I love SIG, but I would not say the P290 is the best example of their work. I will say it is way better than any Kel-Tec though. I have a P290 and I like it just fine. It just isn't a gun I would call excellent.

I cannot really be objective here. I think Kel-Tec are some of the worst guns ever made and I have had enough of them break on me to reenforce that opinion. I love SIG, but I would not say the P290 is the best example of their work. I will say it is way better than any Kel-Tec though. I have a P290 and I like it just fine. It just isn't a gun I would call excellent.

Thanks for your advice guys. Would you care to elaborate on why it is not a good example of sig work?

Zepoll- I was thinking about choosing the sig and selling it if I don't end up liking it. I think I can squeez the cw9 in the list as well. How are you "on loan"? Is it a friends gun?

Thanks for your advice guys. Would you care to elaborate on why it is not a good example of sig work?

Zepoll- I was thinking about choosing the sig and selling it if I don't end up liking it. I think I can squeez the cw9 in the list as well. How are you "on loan"? Is it a friends gun?
It is not an example of bad work. It just isn't what i think of when I think of a SIG firearm. To me SIG always makes the best products on the market. The P290 is a very good product, but it is not anything original or exceptional. It is a very good gun though that is iust as thin as a Kahr but better made.

I carry the PF9. I researched a lot when I was looking at buying my carry gun and I came down on the PF9.

The only problem I had was a failure to extract about once every 10 rounds. I called KelTec and they sent a new extractor and spring, and the problem has disappeared. I now have over 500 failure free rounds through the gun and it fires every time I pull the trigger. Every time I go to the range, I pull out my PF9 and shoot the magazine of my defensive loads that I have in there, and it has never failed that test after swapping out the extractor.

I am a pretty handy guy and I like to work and tinker on things, so tinkering with my gun to me was no big deal and actually kind of fun and rewarding. Especially when you take a gun that fails at an unacceptable rate and turn it into a reliable defensive pistol.

I do not have any experience with the Sig, but just thought I would give my opinion on the KelTec. Good luck in your search!

I also own a PF9, and love it for an every day carry gun. I shoot it about once a month just to stay familiar with the trigger pull and keep it loaded with Hornaday Critical Defense. It is slim and light, always goes bang, and shoots resonably small groups. No, it is not a SIG or a Glock, but it will do what you ask it to for a very reasonable price. Find someone at your home range who has one. Shoot it a few times, you'll like it.
Chris

I also have a PF9 and it works every time, not the most comfortable gun to shoot, but it does the job. However my buddy bought a Ruger LC9 and we shot them side by side and I like the Ruger a lot better. I'm not trading mine in or anything, but you might want to check it out.

KelTecs are not "cheap" guns they are "affordable" guns. There is a difference. They arent pretty but they go bang when you pull the trigger and have excellent customer service. They have been at the forefront of designing ultra-light and ultra compact guns specifically for concealed carry. I have owned several and have never had any issues with them.

"Cheap" handguns include stuff like Hi-point, Jennings/Jimenez/Bryco, Raven, Davis etc. They are pot-metal blowback guns that are not suitable for self defense. Keltecs are well designed locked breech weapons that can handle +p loads and dont even belong in the same category.

My usual carry gun is a Glock 26 but I also have a KelTec P11 that gets carried when weight and size is an issue. I would not hesitate to trust my life to it.

I just found out that Kel-Tec made a plus one mag extension for the PF9, I ordered it from them (it cost $13) and installed it today. Major difference for my wide hands, it fits great and looks nice too. Now all 4 of my fingers are on the grip and I have nine rounds in the gun. Very cool.

Just ordered a +1 extension myself. Hopefully it will improve my grip/accuracy. Personally, I like the pf9, but if I had more money I may look elsewhere. Lifetime warranty on the Kel tec, but not on the Kahr. That was the deal breaker for me.

Hmm thanks for sharing this wonderful post, I really like to your thread.It is quite helpful discussion according to me, thank you so much for the impressive post......

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top