JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I know this has probably been discussed before, but I'm looking into a 9mm can and want to get the quietest one.
I've narrowed my choices down to the octane hd 2 and the osprey.
I've thought about getting a .45 can and just swapping pistons, but I'm worried about it losing too much efficiency.
Does anyone here have either of these two suppressors?
Anyone in the Portland area willing to let me hear them first hand? I'm a tri county member and can take guests in if that helps.
Thoughts?
Dan

Hey guys, I know this has probably been discussed before, but I'm looking into a 9mm can and want to get the quietest one.
I've thought about getting a .45 can and just swapping pistons, but I'm worried about it losing too much efficiency.
Anyone in the Portland area willing to let me hear them first hand? I'm a tri county member and can take guests in if that helps.
Thoughts?
Dan

If it helps I should have an Octane 45 in the next couple weeks. We can meet up to try it out if you like.

Sounds good! I'll try to hold off spending a ton on money in the meantime.. you going to run it on a 9 or just .45?

Both. I picked up almost all the available pistons and fixed endcaps for it, I have a Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf threaded 9mm conversion barrel and an M&P 45 with a threaded Storm Lake barrel ready and waiting for the stamp to arrive. I called to check status today, the Octane is still pending but the other can I put in for a week before the Octane was approved just this morning so it can't be far behind.

That adds another one to the list..haha. It sure is spendy though..even silencershop has them at $880...on sale! It does seem much quieter based on my 10 mins of research though. One video mentioned not using it on a carbine due to the extra spark on the titanium..that was a quote from a liberty employee. Not sure why that would be an issue when it's usable on such a variety of platforms.
Looks like a good one though..I'll do more research
Thanks for the tip

That adds another one to the list..haha. It sure is spendy though..even silencershop has them at $880...on sale! It does seem much quieter based on my 10 mins of research though. One video mentioned not using it on a carbine due to the extra spark on the titanium..that was a quote from a liberty employee. Not sure why that would be an issue when it's usable on such a variety of platforms.
Looks like a good one though..I'll do more research
Thanks for the tip
For some reason (which I have yet to figure out), the Mystic will work on a 223 with at least a 16" barrel and while being mindful of not getting it too hot, while the Infinity will not (at least per the documentation), I am saving for the Infinity myself, as it will satisfy all the requirements I have, in addition to being about 3 dB quieter.

Modeler, if you don't mind me asking, what is your other can? Waiting is a real pain..I waited 7 months for my rifle can..
Also, I've heard both negatives and positives about the lone wolf barrels..you happy with yours?

Rifleenthusiast, the liberty looks good, but for me I'd probably use it on a carbine also..but it sure looks like a very strong front runner for a dedicated pistol can!

Modeler, if you don't mind me asking, what is your other can? Waiting is a real pain..I waited 7 months for my rifle can..
Also, I've heard both negatives and positives about the lone wolf barrels..you happy with yours?

The other can is an HTG CoyoTi, a titanium 5.56mm threaded suppressor from a company that is no longer in business.

I've been happy with the 3 Lone Wolf barrels I've had, although the threaded barrel did require some break-in time before it ran well.

Thoughts?
Dan
I had the same question awhile back, but my desire was the quitest can on the market... I ended up buying a silencerco sparrow a couple years ago and can't be happier. The thing is wicked quiet especially with sub sonic ammo. I espically like the ability to take it apart to clean it. As time went by, the bug kept biting and I started to look into pistol cans. The question is do you want a pretty quite center fire can or a universal can that gives you options to fire multiple calibers? The answer that I found was that buying dedicated pistol cans is your best option. The 9mm suppressor from a main manufacture like silencerco or aac will be the quitest on the market. Other cans are also pretty damn quiet, but those two mfg make the best in my opinion. The route I ended up taking was going for the tirant 45 by aac and and going the piston route for universal calibers. The 45 is still a bit loud, but it's definitely hearing safe and the can reduces it down quite a bit. I'm impressed with it! With the 9mm piston, it's actually pretty quiet . Subsonic 9 via the 45 can is pretty impressive. I can only imagine what a true 9mm can would be like. I honestly will probably buy a 30 cal can prior to a 9 mm can because 9mm through the 45 is still pretty impressive. I eventually would love to get a 9mm can, but before you buy, ask yourself if you want an excellent quiet can or a universal can that suppresses multiple calibers pretty good. For me the 30 cal can makes the most sense as that's the next platforms want to get into. Good problems to
Have, right? Anyway, you can spend hours researching, but that's the best advice I can give. Good luck brother!!!!!

I had the same question awhile back, but my desire was the quitest can on the market... I ended up buying a silencerco sparrow a couple years ago and can't be happier. The thing is wicked quiet especially with sub sonic ammo. I espically like the ability to take it apart to clean it. As time went by, the bug kept biting and I started to look into pistol cans. The question is do you want a pretty quite center fire can or a universal can that gives you options to fire multiple calibers? The answer that I found was that buying dedicated pistol cans is your best option. The 9mm suppressor from a main manufacture like silencerco or aac will be the quitest on the market. Other cans are also pretty damn quiet, but those two mfg make the best in my opinion. The route I ended up taking was going for the tirant 45 by aac and and going the piston route for universal calibers. The 45 is still a bit loud, but it's definitely hearing safe and the can reduces it down quite a bit. I'm impressed with it! With the 9mm piston, it's actually pretty quiet . Subsonic 9 via the 45 can is pretty impressive. I can only imagine what a true 9mm can would be like. I honestly will probably buy a 30 cal can prior to a 9 mm can because 9mm through the 45 is still pretty impressive. I eventually would love to get a 9mm can, but before you buy, ask yourself if you want an excellent quiet can or a universal can that suppresses multiple calibers pretty good. For me the 30 cal can makes the most sense as that's the next platforms want to get into. Good problems to
Have, right? Anyway, you can spend hours researching, but that's the best advice I can give. Good luck brother!!!!!

Thanks for the advice..I'm kinda leaning towards a dedicated 9mm can, as that's mostly all I shoot anymore..mainly for cost reasons. It would be used in several pistols and one carbine. I already have a .30 can (sas arbiter, which I'm very happy with), so I'm not too worried about 300blk, etc...
I think asking myself the question that you posed, I'd lean towards a quiet dedicated can.

Thanks for the advice..I'm kinda leaning towards a dedicated 9mm can, as that's mostly all I shoot anymore..mainly for cost reasons. It would be used in several pistols and one carbine. I already have a .30 can (sas arbiter, which I'm very happy with), so I'm not too worried about 300blk, etc...
I think asking myself the question that you posed, I'd lean towards a quiet dedicated can.
Most excellent! I don't have a 30 cal can but my buddy does. If it helps. my ears tell me that his aac sdn6 with subsonic blkout is quiter than my 45 can with sub sonic 9. Not much quitter, and others may disagree but my ears tell give the Ohhh edge to the blackout! I would bet a box of ammo that a good 9mm can with the right platform and ammo is quiter than a subsonic blkout..

I have three 45 cans, the Osprey, Octane 45 and a new TiRant 45 which I haven't shot yet. I have found that the Osprey is likely quieter than the Octane 45 when used with a 9mm. At least that is what my ears tells me in a indoor range. The Osprey and the Octane when used with a 45 seems pretty much equal, one thing to note, the Osprey definitely affects POI, both my FN FNX45 and my HK MK23 will shoot low about an inch @50 feet with the Osprey attached, POI with the Octane 45 doesn't seem to be too much affected. I haven't bench rested the guns to find out exactly what change it is, but with the Osprey it is very noticeable when the can is attached.

I have three 45 cans, the Osprey, Octane 45 and a new TiRant 45 which I haven't shot yet. I have found that the Osprey is likely quieter than the Octane 45 when used with a 9mm. At least that is what my ears tells me in a indoor range. The Osprey and the Octane when used with a 45 seems pretty much equal, one thing to note, the Osprey definitely affects POI, both my FN FNX45 and my HK MK23 will shoot low about an inch @50 feet with the Osprey attached, POI with the Octane 45 doesn't seem to be too much affected. I haven't bench rested the guns to find out exactly what change it is, but with the Osprey it is very noticeable when the can is attached.

Thanks for the tip..I hadn't thought much about poi changes.

At our last MG shoot several of the guys on our crew got on the line with about 8-10 different 9mm cans and had a shoot off. We all used the same ammo (subsonic), and my M&P 9 with a liberty mystic on it was slightly quieter than any other gun on the line, even though mine is not the quietest on a decibel meter........... keep in mind that Db's are not everything........ in fact decibel ratings on suppressors can be very midleading and are rather useless.

the "tone" that the can emits is more important than the decibel rating........ a can that has a lower tone is going to be more effective at disguising the sound of the shot. My mystic had the best tone out of the cans on the line that day and even though it was going up against cans that are rated slightly quieter on a decibel meter. if you truly are in search of the "quietest can" you literally have to shoot all of them side by side, and base it off of the sound that the can makes when heard by the human ear, because a decibel meter does not pick up tones like the human ear does. i dont buy cans based off of decibel ratings, in fact dont even bother with them, they are fairly useless when determining the effectiveness of a suppresor.

that said, out of all the 9mm cans i have shot i give the mystic a big thumbs up, good tone, very quiet, and it is rated for 38 different calibers. liberty also has the best CS in the industry, (lifetime warranty) i got a baffle strike in mine, sent it back to them and they replaced the core free of charge, and replaced the faulty nielsen device that caused it. :s0023:

I have an Octane 9HD. I went with this one in particular because it is very easy to clean and take apart and assemble and switch out the pistons or use as a fixed mount on rifles. The SS baffles should last a long time. I shoot it on a Sig P226, M&P 9, and also on both 22 rifles and handguns. Its also rated to shoot .300BLK in subsonic. I havnt compared it side by side to any other 9mm cans to know where it rates in quietness but this one if definitely hearing safe. The most noticeable sound to me is the slide racking forward.

Anyone in the Portland area willing to meet up at tri county for a show and tell? I'd love to hear one..particularly the octane and osprey..

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top