Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

9mm ammo? Help!

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Jvandyke13, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jvandyke13

Jvandyke13 Sherwood,OR Member

Im a little unfamiliar w/ the different kinds of ammo available for 9mm. I took my Ruger P95 shooting for the first time today and it seemed to really liked the Winchester white box and shot 100 rounds w/ it. We are thinking about going up tomorrow and need to buy more ammo. Should i stick w/ the WWB or should i branch out and try a different kind? If so, what do you guys use that seems to work best? Right now its mostly for target practicing and just general shooting. If you have a suggestion for home defense rounds i will also consider those too to keep at home. But right now i am mostly looking on what you guys use to target shooting.

Thank you!

2. Glockman19

Glockman19 Hillsboro Active Member

I have had great luck and no problems with the Remington UMC in the Green Boxes. For future reference you can get a box of 50 at Bimart for about $11 when they go on sale.

3. Pepiot

Pepiot Oregon My other girl ^^^^^

I like Federal champion from walmart, 19.99 for 100 round pack. For home defense speer golt dot 124 grain +p.

evltwn, xd45acp, bikejunkie and 3 others like this.
  4. NoviceSquared

NoviceSquared portland Member

If it's just for practice, go with whatever is cheapest. Some ammo might be dirtier and maybe a little more malfunction-prone, but if you aren't trusting your life to it, go with the cheapest you can find. Blazer/wolf/wwb/s&b etc from walmart, bi-mart, etc. Shop around.

For practice ammo you just want to shoot as much as possible. Cheap ammo also has the added benefit of giving you practice with clearing malfunctions and stripping/cleaning your gun. :laugh:

A full-size ruger has a rep for eating anything, so don't worry.

As for defense ammo, I like heavier (147gr) ammo for more penetration. Winchester ranger, federal hst, hornady xtp. If you go that route I'd also practice with 147gr whenever possible to get a feel for it.

5. DK47

DK47 Beaverton, OR Member

Winchester White Box > Remington UMC imo.. but both have filler... It is always good to practice those FTFs and stovepipes though =) Its fun trying out different ammo, you can figure out what your gun likes or doesn't, and if it eats anything, then you'll be glad to know!

6. mat33

mat33 Portland, OR Active Member

I'll buy anything under $10/box, but I get more excited for Seller & Belliot or Fiochi at those prices because the S&B usually has the red waterproofing over the primers and the Fiochi tends to be very clean. So both give a little (but not much) extra bang for your buck.

Anytime I find anything remotely better for defense around $10 I'll buy that too...I'm thinking flat point, unjacketed lead or hollow point. I wouldn't count on it over more premium stuff for carry...until I run out of the premium stuff.

7. Dinged

Dinged Portland, OR Active Member

NW Armory has 9mm 115gr S&B FMJs for $10/50 rounds. I don't know if that's a good deal or not but I bought a couple boxes, will go back and get more if they still have them at that price lol

Edit, I should add this was a few days ago, the prices might not be same.

8. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

WWB / UMC / Federal they are all good target ammo. Buy whatever is cheapest or on sale.

9. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

I like this for when I go to the range:
    2-SB31049 - 9mm Luger Sellier & Bellot 124 Grain FMJ 1181 fps 50 Round Box V310492A

I have this loaded in the pistol for defensive purposes:
    7-AHDY90236 - 9mm Luger Hornady Critical Duty 135 Grain JHP 1010 fps 25 Round Box 90236

As an aside, I tend to prefer CheaperThanDirt for ammunition purchases since they usually have what I am seeking in stock, and they provide an Amazon-like experience (quick processing, shipping via FedEx or UPS, and a tracking number). I've used them for multiple purchases and never had a problem.

Peter

10. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

11. nwsam

nwsam Idaho Falls, ID Member

I've been using the Remington UMC since I bought my gun and have never had a problem with it. I've always bought it in the 250 mega pack (yellow and black box) since it's usually the best deal for me, especially if it's on sale. Usually runs me in the mid-$50 price range. Bi-Mart was my source in Oregon and thankfully CalRanch has it over here in Idaho.

12. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

Personally I target practice with WWB(Winchester White Box), Remington UMC, Federal American Eagle, PMC Bronze, Black Hills.

I don't use aluminum cased or steel cased ammo. I know there are guys that do it, good for them. Guns in my opinion were meant to be shot with brass cased ammo, so that's what I use.
    If I ever buy and AK47 or similar, I'd probably not have a problem with that type of ammo. I know it all runs wells, etc. It is just my preference.

Self defense ammo. I use any good expanding ammo. from a good/well known company. Speer(Gold Dot Hollow Point), Hornaday(TAP, etc.), Winchester(Ranger), Remington(Golden Saber), Double Tap. Think....what do the police departments around us use?

Wifey and (deleted member) like this.
  13. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

If you don't reload, the aluminum cased Blazer ammo is pretty clean and competitively priced.

14. Dinged

Dinged Portland, OR Active Member

Federal HST 147gr +P 9mm. :)

DK47 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I have a conversion barrel for my Glock so I can shoot 9mm. I just replaced the RSA to a 9mm RSA and the last time I shot it, I didn't have any FTF or FTE. I usually had problems with Russian surplus ammo and the good thing was that I had the chance to do malfunction drills. I usually get either WWB, Federal, or Remington because that is what's out there. I would have no problem trying different stuff for practice but for self defense I just picked up some Golden Saber +P for the 9mm and Winchester Ranger Talons. I normally carry a .40 cal. and I used Winchester Ranger Talons (pretty much the same thing as the Black Talon "cop killers").

When I can get 500 rounds of brown bear for $85 and $12 for shipping..... I don't really care what I shoot. The indoor range I go to does not allow personal ammo so it doesn't matter and I don't intend to take an classes that don't allow steel case ammo, so game on.

I have been dealing with SGAmmo.com for my past two orders and they are pretty good. They are in Oklahoma and shipping is fair. Also it's a family business so...

16. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Cheap is good. No reason to spend more than $11 on 9 mike mike if you are plinking.

17. westy39

westy39 Montana Member

You are on the correct course, asking questions is always best. There is a wealth of information and experience in this forum. I for one just use the cheap stuff for practice usually something from Walmart. Then I always try to pick up some Speer Gold Dot, for those special times when you want to send the very best. I shoot a box or two of the Speer Gold Dot twice a year or more as it important to know where the good stuff will hit. Just my 2 cents worth from the Big Sky Country. Shoot lots and enjoy lots.

18. Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker Willamette valley Member

The Sporting goods salesperson at Wallyworld told me the same thing..the Fiocchi and TulAmmo steel cased ammo is cheap, but there's a reason for it..the complaint is it leaves steel in the gun that can build up and require more frequent cleaning. And you've heard of once fired brass reloads..once fired steel ?

19. Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker Willamette valley Member

HSM ammo in the hunter's orange box is cheap at about $13 a box of 50, but could be much less in bulk or a different retailer... almost always sold out most the time.

20. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

My only other advice, buy in bulk, if you cannot afford to do so, find a friend who shoots the same stuff you do. 1,000 round lots is what i try to buy. For self defense ammo, I'll split 500 or 1000 round cases with a buddy since they're 50cents around if you get a deal it seems.

andreys21 and (deleted member) like this.