JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bigger is always better. That being said ,if I were to start over from scratch I would invest heavily in 9mm. Why? how bullets work is they make a hole and let blood etc out. 9mm does that. 9mm weighs less than 40S@W and 45acp so pound for pound there is more shots per pound. The old fashioned run what you brung as previously mentioned is what will be. I think we put too much into shtf rather than just being prepared and stocked up for possible disruptions like in the years before we became mindless mass consumers .

9MM will be widely available, that in itself is an advantage. .22LR will run out, as will .40 S&W and .45 ACP for those who do not reload. 9MM will be carried by the military and that will be the source of ammunition should SHTF. I myself am looking at a 9MM carbine, Thureon Defense GA 9MM Thureon Defense | The Shield of Liberty, JRC Home Page, HiPoint Welcome to Hi-Point Firearms! or Beretta CX Storm Deprecated Browser Error are all good choices depending on your pocket book.
You have to build your memory,,,, The gooberment is buying loads of 40 S@W ammo for the "Homeland Defense. Really !!!!! Not that you will be able to get restocked by the kinder New world order Gestapo.

In a SHTF situation, if I could only carry one firearm it would be a handgun. If I could carry only one hand gun and only one rifle it would be .22lr.

A hand gun can be concealed far easier than a rifle can making it easier to maintain your element of surprise.

A hang gun can be wielded with one hand, allowing my other hand free to open doors, or keep a grip on my son or daughter.

A hand gun can be used to obtain a rifle from someone else.

Pound for pound a person can carry a whole lot more ammo in .22lr than the larger calibers. Plus any man woman or child can wield a .22lr firearms if you get injured or sick. It's large enough to take down small game without completely annihilating it. There will be no squirrel left if you take it down with your deer caliber round. Sure it's harder to take down a deer with .22lr but what am I going to do with a whole deer anyway? With no way to preserve it, it's all going to rot anyway. And what about the gut pile and the head? You're either far enough away from your camp that you've left your family vulnerable, or your close enough away to leave a guts and waste where other predators will b drawn to your camp. Eat rabbits squirrels dog and birds with your .22 and bury the waste in the ground.

All this thinking is based on the idea of the even has just started and the need to be on the move with my family only. So for a one size fits all caliber I'd go with .22lr

Posted by fd15k:

My information is from the 'Jello shooters' test results.

A few points to keep in mind about this picture. This was mostly to demonstrate the bullet expansion (bullet design) and penetration depth (product of cross-section after expansion and energy). That is all related to transfer of energy. Expansion prevents over-penetration and increase wound channel. Ironically, wound channels are more or less the same for all of these bullets, but energy transfer is not - the more energy you had to begin with, the more energy is transferred to the surrounding tissues should the bullet not penetrate the body. Another thing that is left out is external ballistics - some of these calibers have flatter trajectories and would be a lot better for use in carbines.

Oh, and one more thing... I really don't see anybody stocking up on tens of thousands of hollow-point rounds ;)

.Oh, and one more thing... I really don't see anybody stocking up on tens of thousands of hollow-point rounds ;)
And why would you? Would one enter a fight, militarily or otherwise, history has shown that one is lucky/it is the norm to merely have swapped his life for another. I don't think you need tens of thousand of rounds of defensive rounds to do that. lol.
Cast semi-wadcutters or fmj tell the story just fine on paper and are just as good for practice.

I'd like a 10mm Glock as a single handgun but my feeling is that handguns, while good for self defense are a poor war fighting tool, a PCC has a lot going for it as a shtf platform for many reasons. 9mm and 40 would seem to be the most plentiful and are close to the same cost

Oh great, another one of those 9mm or .40 or .45 and .223/5.56 or 7.62×39 or 308/7.62×51 threads.

Well for starters my current handgun is a Glock 21 (.45 acp) and my current rifle is an AKM with 7.62x39.

I always find that these threads always turn into a "why that caliber sucks more than this one" thread. It really depends on the personal preference of the shooter.

I have nothing against the 9mm or the .40 S&W but I enjoy shooting the .45 and the Glock 21 fits my hands like a glove.

I also have nothing against the 5.56 or the 7.62x51 but for my needs I have discovered that the AK in 7.62x39 fits what I need.

I think that bigger is better is an incorrect argument because a .50 Desert Eagle isn't exactly easy to carry or shoot, is it? I've shot and held one. It isn't!

For concealed purposes I would use my snub nosed .357 over my Glock 21 any day. For open carry I'd use the Glock 21.

For shooting past 300m/yards but within 800m/yards I'd never use the 7.62x39 but the 5.56.

For my current purposes I'd use the 7.62x39 and the .45 ACP.

If I find that I need a different caliber or rifle, to fit what I need, then my firearms and caliber will change to suit those needs.

Really all calibers are useful. Even a .22. Personal preference and comfort of use with the firearm is going to be far more important than caliber size in the end.

If an individual uses a firearm in a small caliber that they can shoot confidently with then they have better odds of shooting accurately and hitting the target.

A miss with a .50 DE is still a miss. A hit with a .22 Mosquito is still a hit.

I don't know about any of you but I'd rather not get shot by anything. Even a .22.

To each his own.

Dark

When I'm out in the woods, I like to carry a .357 lever action carbine and a .357 revolver on the belt. Either will handle any chance dangerous wildlife encountered in Oregon (I don't expect to run across any cape buffalo or Kodiaks) and gives me the chance to shoot both for fun and practice with the same carried ammo.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top