JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have the RIA 9mm tactical, and love it. I had a problem that was with the mag, called them and the first thing they asked wqas for my asddress so they coul send a new one. Wonderful service!

I have a RIA GI model in 9mm and a Para LTC 9mm. Both are pure fun at the range! The Para is a Commander size 1911 with an aluminum frame. The RIA is an all steel full size gun. Recoil is minimal. Mine are both 100% reliable so far.

I mentioned earlier I am in the market for one and there is a Citadel at Sportsman's in Bend. Although the finish is a little rough it has a smooth action, nice trigger pull and is tight. I may have to re-think this though because the price is right.

Centerfire usually has cheapest prices on RIA:
That is the best price no doubt but factoring shipping and the FFL I'll probably be close to the one in Sportsman's, which is available and I can operate the slide and try the trigger before I buy, sort of like a test drive
Personally I'd get an old Colt .38 Super and have a competent smith fit a 9mm replacement barrel
I probably would if I could find one - and fit the barrel myself.

They run free shipping pretty often, but understand!
And why get a 38, just get the 9mm to start with!

That is the best price no doubt but factoring shipping and the FFL I'll probably be close to the one in Sportsman's, which is available and I can operate the slide and try the trigger before I buy, sort of like a test drive

I probably would if I could find one - and fit the barrel myself.

Greetings,

As others have indicated, the 9mm is so much fun it's almost cheating:cool:. It's hard to go wrong with one if they're running well. I've got more than a couple rounds down range through a couple of different models. Alot depends on your budget. There are less expensive variants (RIA, others), but I'm a fan of Springfield Armory, just cuz of series 70 design, lifetime warranty, and a great custom shop (and the 9mm 1911 is one that you could trick out quite nicely). Springer, in addition to their EMP, etc. offers two full size stainless 9mms, pretty much identical the same except for the sights (target adjustables or fixed Novak-style). Pick the sights that work best for ya. These are also in the 'Loaded' trim, so you're getting the beavertail, ambi extended safties, lightweight hammer/trigger, front cocking serrations, etc etc. They also have the fully supported chambers/ramped barrels, which is nice. They come in decent cases w/ two mags, etc. Depending on where you live and how much the recent 'panic' has influcenced the dealers price, they run a little under a grand, but all things considered, probably the best value unless you want a plain-jane GI trim pistol. I've got hands on range time with two 9mmSpringers...one in each flavor--Target Adj. and the Novak sighted models. The Target gun is nice, but best left for range/match duty with the large, sharp-edged rear sight. The sample I shot was VERY tight and took a little tinkering (springs) and an extended break-in (about 1000 rds) before it started perking along fairly reliably. Probably could use a few more boxes to break a bit further all things considered. But it is primarily a range gun, not a 'social' gun. The Novak-sighted model had maybe 1-2 bobbles in the first 100 rds and has been 100% after that as far as I recall. And this included a fairly serious 2 day handgun class where other guns, including a four-figure semi-custom 1911 was choking (not the gun's fault, the owner hadn't lubed it well enough).

Two other key things. Recoils springs are key. A .45 typically has enough 'umph' ie energy to run along with most loads and normally a pound up or down over the standard recoil spring weight (17# IIRC) doesn't generally effect reliability of the gun too much. 9mm can be alot more sensitive as there typically isn't as much surplus energy to play with. I believe most factory Gov't 9mm 1911's are running 15# springs. You may have to tinker with that a bit. You'll also find that all 9mm 115 ball isn't equal. One brand might run fine, another might be so luke warm, you'll get to practice your malfunction drills more frequently.

The other thing is magazines. The source of alot of problems in pistols, the 9mm 1911 in particular, is due to magazines and this can be further compounded by the shortened overall length of the 9mm round (vs. 45). Thus far I've had very good results with the Metalform 'Springfield' mags that come with their pistols. They have a groove running up the front to deal with the shorter length and little bit of a 'pre-ramp' to keep the rounds from nose-diving when stripped forward by the slide. Others have spoken well of Cobra Mags, Wilson's (great 38 Super mags) and others. I don't have any experience with those. If it ain't broke, I tend not to screw it up by trying to 'fix' it, so I use the Springer mags. The only issues I don't like is the ones that come with the pistols are the welded floor plate models with no base pads. A call to one of the suppliers like Brownells and some superglue or screws takes care of the latter.

Thirdly, looks like 9mm is going to tougher to find for a little bit...but that's a temporary situation.

iamme, is that the Warren limited run Operator? If I had the funds, that would be on the top of my 'get' list.

Hope this helps.

Lucky Post #1.

Cheers,
BOSS

100_6693.jpg

100_6726.jpg

100_6728.jpg

These 1911's are one of my favorite pistols. You get the great look of the 1911 while getting more rounds and cheaper to shoot. I will be in the market for one, one of these days.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top