Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

98k Mauser cleaning rod question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by transformerguru, Dec 28, 2011.

1. transformerguru

transformerguru Lebanon, Beaver State USA Member

I have a 98k Mauser and I was trying to get all the "correct" capture pieces back on my rifle. My question is, How do you know which length of cleaning rod is correct for the rifle? I should know this, but for some reason I don't. Thanks for your input:thumbup:

2. ernurse

ernurse molalla oregon Active Member

the cleaning is not long enough to go all thru the bore, two or more soldiers would combine them or use the rope opr brass pull through boresnake.IIRC the cleaning rod is only 12 or 14 inches. its the rest of the accessories you need to clean the gun.

3. Ding

Ding Lighter Side of Oz Active Member

The correct length for the 98k rod is 12.5".The easy way to tell if your stock takes a 10" rod is to remove the rear band,which is unless you got a g33/40 you need a 10inch. If there is a lug under the band on the bottom of the stock the stock will take a 10" rod. If the lug is not there then it takes a 12.5" rod..You didn't say what king of 98k ya have.

4. transformerguru

Its just a standard 98k. So its the 12.5" then. Thanks :)

5. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

Early K98k stocks (generally walnut with a flat buttplate) used 250 mm cleaning rods. Later stocks used 320 mm cleaning rods. To tell which length rod a stock uses, look for the nut the rod screws into. If the nut is under the lower band it uses a 250 mm rod. If the nut is farther back it uses a 320 mm rod.

20k4u37.jpg

6. transformerguru

mines a '43 build, so I'm gonna go with the 12.5" rod... I think that is the safe bet

7. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

If it is a Russian Capture (RC) K98k it might have a stock from an earlier rifle. If it has a laminated stock with a cupped buttplate it will use the longer rod.