JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yep. That's correct. $96 dollars for a semi auto 22lr.

Bi-Mart BF deal on a Rossi RS22.

First impression, well that's what sub hundred dollars feels like lol.

Supposedly this is a copy of the Mossberg 702 Plinkster.

Tabletop:

Tear down is not horrible but definitely more than others, two Phillips head screws remove the stock from the action. Two cross pins need punched in the right direction to remove the trigger housing from the receiver. The charging handle is simply held in place by the cut outs in the bolt and receiver, you have to push it inwards when the bolt is all the way to the rear to lock it open in a cut on the inside of the receiver. This is crucial to get the trigger housing off. The bolt slides back and forth inside a rail/ejector housed in the trigger pack, and when the bolt is pushed all the way back it clears this rail. Once the trigger pack is out you can unlock the bolt by pulling back and out to release the bolt lock and the bolt can come forward and downward out of the receiver off of the internal spring and guide rod.

The receiver seems to be cast aluminum, the bolt looks billet. No idea if the barrel is made to more precise methods, it is simply pinned in place by two cross pins. Likely just button rifled. The firing pin is free floating, which should prove interesting if this guy gets filthy. The trigger housing is clearly cheaply injected molding, with a lot of flash present. The trigger pull is bad, not the worst I've felt, but for $96 bucks I went in not expecting a lot. Pull to a squishy wall with an unpredictable break. Reset is decent, audible and right back to that squishy wall. Most of the trigger pack is plastic except the pins and hammer, I didn't break it further down inspect the seat and disconnect, I'm guessing they too are metal like the hammer. The magazine is stamped steel with spot welds. Basic cheap construction. The follower does hold the bolt back until you remove the magazine. So you know when your out.

Shooting:

First mag ran flawlessly using my typical mix of ammo that I put in my ammo can. Typically bulk cheap ammo. The fiber optic sights worked very well and at 25 yards I was able to put all 10 shots in a 6" circle steel target. I took off the plastic hood covering the front sight post and it helped a lot. The hood obstructed a good amount of my view. The rifle itself is extremely light, and easy to hold upright for extended times. Likely would make a great kids gun for this reason, however it is in an adult sized stock. It shoots well though besides everything else stated. I need to get a larger magazine for it, I've read that the Mossberg 702 25 round magazine works in this. At $30 I'm not entirely certain I need to buy one right away. So being a 10 round magazine I only put 140 rounds through it before I got tired of loading the one magazine. Other than that it ate and shot all 140 mixed rounds.

Overview:

Winner. For the price I paid this is a great little beater 22. Seems reliable and decent build materials. I'm going to utilize it as a lender type rifle to let folks and kiddos use at Clean Ups and such. It could end up in the car permanently, maybe. I may take some sand paper to the bolt and contact points to slick up the action a bit. Then polish it all. I'm not looking to put any money into this guy, so I'm likely not going to scope it or anything. If anything I'll buy a 25 round mag for it once I find one locally.

I'll update this thread here and there as I try to kill the gun!

Happy plinking!

Updated takedown pictures.

0121653A-2615-4A59-912A-84F4038D1E42.jpeg 68F36EFF-5E71-438E-B389-DD71CEB67FBD.jpeg 14B31F50-2F74-46AE-A145-73190251C659.jpeg F20D1E8C-BD9B-45C6-9248-6BE67821BF5D.jpeg 8FDD5B7E-13F9-40CD-A65B-01A2CC4DE472.jpeg 6CA1ED7F-91E7-4C45-B0B7-168A4E9F04CF.jpeg

Last Edited:
Took apart the gun, cleaned it and sanded the bolt completely over then polished it up on spots I knew contacted spots within the receiver and little rail/ejector.

I put everything back together and completely forgot to take internal pictures. So here are a pinch of external pics. I tried taking a decent picture of the rail in reference.

I'll snatch a bunch of internal pics come next time I have to clean it.

D6FBCA54-FC42-467B-B140-36AC0CB155BB.jpeg 27ED235B-5911-46F0-9B3F-8594B994F31B.jpeg 89A8C6F3-E064-4B02-BD1B-06800146ADE9.jpeg D5FA0DFB-689E-4DFB-8018-25927017B811.jpeg 3A0E5726-D45C-4D3E-9555-D6D067075436.jpeg 9C4F54EB-0C55-4D7F-B6D3-60B2E224221D.jpeg CAB6B8D4-65FF-401B-BCEA-787213CD066C.jpeg 62D79D74-BEBF-43DE-9CA9-CCC6C3837CB6.jpeg B7873BCC-BCD5-4196-9C76-758AA001B5BA.jpeg

I put at least another 200 rounds through it today, boy oh boy my thumb is sore from loading this magazine over and over plus ruger 10-22 mags.

Zero malfunctions minus one dud round failing to fire, but had good rim strike.

Got it good and dirty, at least I tried, hard to do 10 rounds at a time. I can't even get the thin barrel to heat up as I'm having to load the mag so fast after dumping then ten rounds as fast as I can.

I really think this should come with a 25 rounder, I'm still undecided about buying one considering it would cost 1/3 the price of the gun.

Let two others shoot it today as well and they were considerably surprised by it.

This guy has a solid thumbs way up thus far.

It's sitting in the safe dirty for the evening, I'll tear her apart and snap a bunch of internal pictures when I clean it tomorrow or sometime this week.

The gun shot exceedingly well.
The sights are fast on target, easy sight picture too.
Bolt locks back when the mag is empty, which happens too quickly.
@Reno911 was making his steel sing, double tap, triple, triple, double, and then a comment because the mag was empty.
His thumb was black from loading 22.

Junior probably won't be out there speed steel shooting like @Reno911 was today, so the mag limitation wouldn't be much of an issue for your kid....

Took apart the gun, cleaned it and sanded the bolt completely over then polished it up on spots I knew contacted spots within the receiver and little rail/ejector.

I put everything back together and completely forgot to take internal pictures. So here are a pinch of external pics. I tried taking a decent picture of the rail in reference.

I'll snatch a bunch of internal pics come next time I have to clean it.

]
Nice looking little rifle for the money!!

Good to hear that rifle likes all kinds of ammo. My savage 64 only cares for cci ands that's after sanding and polishing up the feed ramps in the mags I have for it

If I recall correctly, there was a picatinny rail on the receiver... put one of those $25 TruGlo red dot sights on it!
:rolleyes:
The $120 plinkster!
:D

I was pretty curious about this rifle myself, I'm glad you wrote this report. I may have to get one for my nephew once every decides he's of age.
Thanks! :)

I was going to clean it. Then I decided, to let her be dirty and I'll just keep shooting it and not cleaning it. So I didn't break her down for internal pictures.

I'll get some eventually.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads