JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I recall correctly, there was a picatinny rail on the receiver... put one of those $25 TruGlo red dot sights on it!
:rolleyes:
The $120 plinkster!
:D

I was pretty curious about this rifle myself, I'm glad you wrote this report. I may have to get one for my nephew once every decides he's of age.
Thanks! :)
It does have a weaver base built into the receiver.

I'm not looking to spend a bunch more on this, as it's kind of a cheap beater to me.

The sights aren't horrible anyways.

If I were to buy anything for it, it would be the $30 25 round mag.

I hear ya, it seems like a good option for a beater and not something to build up.
I still might be tempted to throw on the cheapest red dot i can find.
I would name it "el-cheapo"... :D
I also find it a little funny that the magazine is 1/4 the cost of the rifle.

Updated the second post with some takedown pictures.

Thank you, Reno911, for your postings. I bought one at Bi-Mart last year on sale for $99. My daughter has enjoyed learning to shoot with it. I'll have to get a second magazine (or more) to make it easier to load one while the other is in use. I have found that loading the magazine is easier for me if I push each round with the next round held vertically, i.e. the flat end of the new round pushes the last one into the magazine until there's clearance to rotate the new one down and slide it into place. No need for a MagLula or such.

The 25 round magazine includes a thumb device to push the follower down, making loading it easier. Am considering adding one of those as well, though the significantly larger size and plastic construction concerns me.

Fun little rifle. With the cheapo 4x scope I put on it, it shoots pretty well. Glad I have it!

I'll say polishing the bolt helped cleaning by a lot. Almost spotless via simple wiping with rag.

Recoated with lithium grease and back at it.

Yep. That's correct. $96 dollars for a semi auto 22lr.

Bi-Mart BF deal on a Rossi RS22.

First impression, well that's what sub hundred dollars feels like lol.

Supposedly this is a copy of the Mossberg 702 Plinkster.

Tabletop:

Tear down is not horrible but definitely more than others, two Phillips head screws remove the stock from the action. Two cross pins need punched in the right direction to remove the trigger housing from the receiver. The charging handle is simply held in place by the cut outs in the bolt and receiver, you have to push it inwards when the bolt is all the way to the rear to lock it open in a cut on the inside of the receiver. This is crucial to get the trigger housing off. The bolt slides back and forth inside a rail/ejector housed in the trigger pack, and when the bolt is pushed all the way back it clears this rail. Once the trigger pack is out you can unlock the bolt by pulling back and out to release the bolt lock and the bolt can come forward and downward out of the receiver off of the internal spring and guide rod.

The receiver seems to be cast aluminum, the bolt looks billet. No idea if the barrel is made to more precise methods, it is simply pinned in place by two cross pins. Likely just button rifled. The firing pin is free floating, which should prove interesting if this guy gets filthy. The trigger housing is clearly cheaply injected molding, with a lot of flash present. The trigger pull is bad, not the worst I've felt, but for $96 bucks I went in not expecting a lot. Pull to a squishy wall with an unpredictable break. Reset is decent, audible and right back to that squishy wall. Most of the trigger pack is plastic except the pins and hammer, I didn't break it further down inspect the seat and disconnect, I'm guessing they too are metal like the hammer. The magazine is stamped steel with spot welds. Basic cheap construction. The follower does hold the bolt back until you remove the magazine. So you know when your out.

Shooting:

First mag ran flawlessly using my typical mix of ammo that I put in my ammo can. Typically bulk cheap ammo. The fiber optic sights worked very well and at 25 yards I was able to put all 10 shots in a 6" circle steel target. I took off the plastic hood covering the front sight post and it helped a lot. The hood obstructed a good amount of my view. The rifle itself is extremely light, and easy to hold upright for extended times. Likely would make a great kids gun for this reason, however it is in an adult sized stock. It shoots well though besides everything else stated. I need to get a larger magazine for it, I've read that the Mossberg 702 25 round magazine works in this. At $30 I'm not entirely certain I need to buy one right away. So being a 10 round magazine I only put 140 rounds through it before I got tired of loading the one magazine. Other than that it ate and shot all 140 mixed rounds.

Overview:

Winner. For the price I paid this is a great little beater 22. Seems reliable and decent build materials. I'm going to utilize it as a lender type rifle to let folks and kiddos use at Clean Ups and such. It could end up in the car permanently, maybe. I may take some sand paper to the bolt and contact points to slick up the action a bit. Then polish it all. I'm not looking to put any money into this guy, so I'm likely not going to scope it or anything. If anything I'll buy a 25 round mag for it once I find one locally.

I'll update this thread here and there as I try to kill the gun!

Happy plinking!

the $96 part is that all you need to make the gun legal (info on receiver and Barrel ? ) I am looking to make a Tactical gun with a folding stock. I have the Rossi 22 now.
and I have a kel tec sub 2000 Tactical gun 9MM . if this is correct where can i buy the receiver and Barrel ? Frank

looking for a used kit
Mossberg® 702 Plinkster™ Tactical Folding Stock
they sell new for $55.00

PM279__85230.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews