JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, rebuild actually. I've had a soft spot for putting military guns back to military dress lately, and after finishing the Tanker 03a3 the other day, this one called my name.

This is actually an amalgamation of several rifles I've bought over the years. The stock, stock hardware, and rear sight came off an 1895 Chilean Short Rifle. Sadly, the gun had MASSIVE pitting issues everywhere. The receiver was sent off and welded up to be used on a lightweight sporter build. The stock was too beautiful to get rid of. I love tiger striped stocks, especially ones that show wear. The handguard was destroyed, but replacing it isn't an option, both because of color matching and scarcity. The only downside is the wood has worn to the point that the buttplate is proud on one side. I'm honestly not sure I care, but I can buzz back the plate if necessary. Overall, the stock started this build...

The action I picked up a few years ago with a barrel that someone had drilled and tapped all the way into the bore. So it was scrap. But the receiver was decent and had a matching bent bolt. The barrel I got several months ago from a friend as a rifle barrel someone had cut down. They'd cut dovetails for the front and rear sight, but there was enough length to work with and I will over the old dovetails with original sights. I had to set the breech face back .015" to clear the bolt. I had to crown the barrel and turn down the diameter for the front sight assembly. I screwed the barrel onto the action, only to realize when I stuck it into the stock that the barrel contour was heavier on the rifle barrel, so I had to pull it back off and turn the contour down for six or seven inches to fit in the stock.

For now, it's rebarrelled and mocked up. I will need to drill holes for the sights tomorrow and solder them on. The barrel, since the breech face was set back, may very well need to be punched out. The handguard is still undergoing surgery, but is getting closer. I left the pitted rear sight base for a bit of cool factor, but need to either repair or replace the sight leaf itself, as the volley slide is not functioning (slides freely).

Once that's done, a bit of rust blue on the gun or at least on the barrel and front sight, and it will be lovely again.

But here's a few pictures from the day's fun...

E2EC07D3-A123-43B7-AE59-06412A8299CA.jpeg A063AE09-884B-4423-8D50-956CA24A5945.jpeg A6EABD35-472A-4BA4-97C8-AAF3B30576D2.jpeg AD18EA7E-CC35-4818-B258-DF9AD7C84C0D.jpeg

Very nice. I bought a 1895 Chilean shorty back to life some years back. Found it embedded in a cracked large ring sporter stock. Whittled down a full rifle stock to fit. Found all the right resto parts, mostly from Numrich Arms, and built it back to military config. It started my love affair with small ring Mausers and the 7X57. I'll have to dig it out of the vault for a look. Fun shooter... been a few years though.

8514521B-1379-40D0-AB06-32533CA17615.jpeg D8A518B1-384E-4FD6-A6E1-7D160DE2D0B1.jpeg 59305156-F069-4607-851E-86F1867FC704.jpeg This is an interesting trend I have put some thought into. I have many Mausers, some commercial and some that are sporterized military. I love the design and build quality as well as the historical significance. I have a magnificent M91 Argentine made in 1896 by Lowe in Berlin that is going back to orignal configuration but it is a very rare 16 1/4 inch barrel engineer's carbine with perfect crest, markings and metal. I have sporters that I wouldn't change for anything. These military rifles are the most common rifles on the planet, made by the millions Over decades. Seeing (and owning) one that was converted by a master is an incredible thing. This is my 1895 that I greatly covet, 7mm Mauser, the stock is the orignal military reworked by someone with maby 1000.00 worth of checkering, the rifle is exquisite in every way......I wouldn't change a thing. I think if you run across a nice orignal military specification rifle, it would be best to leave it as is but most (particularly the South American examples) show a hundred years of abuse and neglect. I see no problem modifying them to a more useful configuration. Between and after the wars, there was a large industry established in Suhl and other gun centers turning military rifles into sporters. They would sell a nice rifle for 1/2 the cost of a Winchester M70 that copied them. There are some poorly done sporters or versions that lost there once quality bits (I am doing one of those right now) but there is nothing evil or wrong with a nice sporters made from a once abused common military rifle bought out of some barrel in a store for 20.00. That was where many of these came from.

Last Edited:
A properly done sporter has beauty, significance, soul, and value. I agree, there are some that I wouldn't change for anything. Most of the ones I've collected, I've gotten just for an action or a stock or a barrel or sights.
When I bought them, I bought them to build sporters with for the most part, and I still have, do, and will continue to do so. But recently I've gotten a better appreciation for original/ish guns as well. The stock on this short rifle is a fantastic feel and balance, not to mention being absolutely gorgeous with the wear, the striping in the grain, and the character.

Pretty sure my wife is making me go get my eyes checked today, so probably not much work on it today...

When working on any old gun...common sense needs to be used.
If it is a badly done sporter...why not pretty it up and make it a sporting rifle you can be proud to show off...
Or if enough of the original rifle is there or to be had...go ahead and put it back to its military shape...

Again common sense on the rifle , markings , maker , historic use , etc... all need to come into play here.
I do like it , when an old neglected gun , gets re-worked and a new lease on life....glad to know that there are folks still doing this.
Andy

When working on any old gun...common sense needs to be used.
If it is a badly done sporter...why not pretty it up and make it a sporting rifle you can be proud to show off...
Or if enough of the original rifle is there or to be had...go ahead and put it back to its military shape...

Again common sense on the rifle , markings , maker , historic use , etc... all need to come into play here.
I do like it , when an old neglected gun , gets re-worked and a new lease on life....glad to know that there are folks still doing this.
Andy
How many Flint and percussion lock rifles had roots in military guns? I have seen many rifles and shotguns constructed with military locks and even barrels. There was a German rifle for sale the other day that had me checking my accounts, it was a match lock built on an Ottoman barrel probably captured in the siege of Vienna. I have seen similar in German museums, it has heavy gold leaf and ivory inlays.........60,000.00 but I believe worth it.

A little Mauser history for ya.... This model 1895 rifle's serial numbers fall within the range of a shipment to the Afrikan Boers that was turned back by the British sea blockade. Made in 1898, the majority of the shipment was then sold to Chili, and roll marked as such. Apparently Mauser retained some of these rifles and best I can tell converted some into sporters, perhaps by employees for personel use. This rifle has all the mil-spec metal bits, like sling bracket and butt plate, turned military barrel and slicked standard trigger. I am certain the Mauser factory inleted this sporter stock as I have put it side by side with a Chilian from the same serial range and the tool marks are identical. It's had some additions through the years, like bolt handle, safety, and scope mounts. I put the old Weaver K-2.5 on it and have killed blacktails with this 7X57 gun.
These pictures are kind of old, from a cheap camera. I should update them when I get time. :rolleyes:

P1000592.JPG

P1000605.JPG

P1000634.JPG

P1000688.JPG

Always love seeing your work Bear, another fine military rifle getting a new lease on life!
I still havnt had a chance to take my 03 up to see Velzey for some much needed work, but the rifle is SLOWLY comming together! Mostly bolt work, I originally intended to swap bolts with a new one, but decided that this one fit so nice and ran so smooth that I would keep it and true it up. I welded up the lock side of the lugs and re cut them, trimmed, re cut, and tuned the secondary lug, welded up and re cut the breach face to tighten the claws grip of the case, as well as insuring the face was dead square to the barrel and breach, pulled the barrel and checked both barrel and receiver for run out, and reinstalled after a slight shave and a hair cut! All in all, a very fine 03 sporter, well worth the effort, and a light, handy, and very smooth running 03!
Will post up some progress picts in the 1903 Thread! :)

The entire rear of the handguard had just disintegrated. This handguard at the time was hard to find and the color would have never matched. I matched the grain in the splice in, but will likely have to dye it to get it close. Oh well, character. There is also another small piece on the right side that will need to be spliced. It chipped out after I put the other block on...

I go slow, which is probably why I don't do this professionally anymore. Hope to get it close tomorrow...

4026CEA7-56DB-40A6-8FAA-50522066E848.jpeg 56BEA2DE-9104-4909-97A9-EC418AB63EBD.jpeg B0F8D09D-D0FC-4716-929E-447BD69FE33D.jpeg

All the aesthetic and 95% of the real work is done. I need to rent a 7x57 reamer and gauges to punch the chamber back out, but other than that it is as far as I will take it. It's a great looking gun, but if you get real close you can see a few weird things like no -matching numbers, repaired handguard, and bluing touch-up. But it should be a great shooter!

B97B55DD-2951-4B02-9F30-676F4916315A.jpeg 86E1A189-01DC-4690-868C-521B8CA74772.jpeg

Once I have a chance to get the reamer and punch out the chamber, I will take it out and post a target, just to prove to @Ura-Ki that I do actually shoot them...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads