JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Cynicman part of me brought up another thought. How many owners of gun shops and pawn shops would conceivably be for the bill? It seems to me if everyone were forced to go through an FFL to transfer these shops would be making easy money on transfer fees. Those $25-40 fees could add up to some real money for minimum work.

Sorry, my mind always runs to "follow the money" and "who benefits?"

As an aside I have sent copies of my e-mail to Elizabeth Steiner Hayward (the senator from my district) and Representative Ken Ham (my district rep) sadly, both have records not sympathetic to our cause.
If the gun shops have not been very vocal on all this maybe it's because they would benefit from a large increase in consignment/used sales.
Getting rid of a gun after this BS passes at a Dealer will be the only option to many who want a hassle free, sure to be legal gun transfer.

What ever Koda I'm not a lawyer. What I'm trying to get across is the FFL has to keep the records for a period of time and that has to be worth something as far as cost goes.
sorry. didnt mean offense. A lot of people dont know the FFL dealer is forced to keep a registration, 20 years is a long time.

The sad point Qaolin is that both Prozanski and Birdick are on record stating that it will not stop felons from getting firearms.
What is the real point for this bill ?
registration. They know it wont reduce crime so the next step will be prohibition.

Keep up the recall pressure, enlist everyone who cares, to take actions consistent with lawful and ethical behavior, and let the Lawmakers hear from you. For now. One thing at a time.
Sent this to all 30 Oregon Senators minutes ago:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SB 941: Wrong for Oregon

April 7, 2015
D. Ed Guinn
Happy Valley Oregon
Respectful greetings,

Thank you for your attention in considering another perspective of the volatile and divisive impact that enactment of SB 941 will have.

Please give yourself time to reflect before you Vote on this controversial law.

The Title; SB 941: "Oregon Firearms Safety Act" evokes expectations of safety from harm by firearms to all residents and visitors in Oregon.

The Title is false and misleading.

Criminals and those who are determined to commit mayhem and destruction ignore Laws.

SB 941's enactment will undoubtedly lead to challenges based on ORS and U.S. Constitutional Law.

If SB 941 is enacted, an immediate real-time negative economic Impact on residents engaged in commerce, recreation, and defense will be felt, as well.

We can expect an onset of expensive and ongoing litigation at Taxpayer's expense, if SB 941 is enacted.

Prohibition of legal private transactions without government oversight between law abiding Oregon Residents is a debacle to be avoided, and distracts from the real work to curb Firearms Abuse.

Why not focus on a remedy to Criminal Behaviors and the Abuse of Firearms by restoring funding gaps for Law Enforcement? Without enforcement, Laws alone aren't effective.

Please allow existing laws to be enforced before burdening Taxpayers and Voters by enacting unnecessary Legislation, with unforeseen consequences.

An effective approach would be to reinforce the existing regulatory process - and only if needed; put into place sensible and sustainable guidelines for all Residents.

A process for lawful private sales between individuals, to include personal background checks, already exists.

Considering the Rights of law abiding residents engaged in Protected Activities should be the first order of business for elected officials in our Representational Democracy.

Please cast your Vote in opposition to this divisive and costly experiment and instead, work with firearms owners and Law Enforcement cooperatively, while remembering two things: First – Our Rights Do Not End where Emotions Begin. Second - Voters invited you to work for them, and can take away your privilege, by Recall, or by voting for someone more to their satisfaction in the next election.

Ultimately, despite victories in early stages by challengers; Constitutional Law prevails over the ebb and flow of failed legislative experiments.

Please don't take Oregon down the road to endless litigation by legally entitled individuals and business owners on one side, vs. thoughtful, yet misinformed parties on the other.

Please vote No on SB 941. It's Wrong for Oregon.

Thank you most sincerely, for your time and consideration,

A Concerned Native Oregon Resident

This was from Jeff Barker [email protected]

------------------

Thank you for your email.

I oppose expanding Oregon's background check system. As a retired police lieutenant with 31 years in law enforcement, and as a Democrat, I frequently remind my colleagues that we do not need to fear law abiding gun owners.

Thanks again for your email and please feel free to contact me again on this or any other issue.

Jeff Barker

Progress is being made on all fronts. Keep up the fight everyone. Thank you all.

3:14 PM (1 hour ago)
View attachment 225979

to me
View attachment 225980
View attachment 225981

1.jpg
Oregon's Only No Compromise Gun Rights Organization

As you know, the anti-gun extremists are doing all they can to race through a bill to invade your privacy, attack your liberty, crush your Second Amendment rights and further erode freedom.

The Democrat controlled Oregon Legislature is doing this on many fronts, not just gun rights.

The hearings on SB 941 were rigged to favor the anti-gun side and it is a near certainty that when the bill moves to the House it will be assigned to a committee that would normally not hear this kind of bill, just to further assure that bill races through. The Democrats are stacking the deck, of that there is no debate.

But the amazing amount of activism you are displaying has been nothing short of astonishing. The amount of communication opposing this terrible bill has been unprecedented. Your fighting spirit is unmatched by any amount of shady tricks and backdoor deals the anti's could ever cook up. I want to thank each and every one of your for your tireless efforts. The fight has just begun.

As a result of this latest attack OFF is experiencing a tremendous amount of support from long time members and an explosion of new members. We are deeply grateful for your faith in us and your generosity. At OFF, we are committed to acknowledging every donation and new member as quickly as possible, but as you can imagine, the pace of the gun bills has forced us to address those attacks first.

So, I just want to let you know that we are working to catch up on the backlog of donations and new members and promise you if you have recently joined or contributed, that you will be hearing from us soon with the formal thank you or welcome that you deserve.

We are grateful and humbled by your support.

Kevin Starrett

Interesting idea, but I don't know that I can really get behind that. Making it a crime to sell unknowingly to someone? What if you get a BGC anyway and he still turns out to be prohibited because the system failed? Am I still liable?

In my mind this counter-proposal isn't really much better. It still pretty much kills private sales with the exception of people you know really, really, really well. Might as well kiss NWFA classified and AL goodbye - who would want to risk that type of liability? :(

No, I think I'd have to go against that proposal too.

I've checked the state website again this morning - still no new update on SB 941's status. It doesn't show that it's going up for a vote yet, so I'm wondering, why not? If they want to ram this through, I would have expected a vote by now. Maybe all our efforts (as noted in the OFF email) are having an impact. If they lose just a few votes, it's not going to pass. Man, wouldn't it be nice if our efforts paid off and shut this ba$tard of a bill down?

Just spoke with Senator Thatchers office concerning the minority report. The report, if it comes out will be introduced during session and will be concerning Senator Thatchers proposed amendment. I believe that would be -11 since -8 was withdrawn.

However, it's up to the caucus as to whether to even introduce the minority report or just drop it and be in complete opposition to the bill. It's a tough call since the mental illness provision does require adjudication and is fairly restrictive. Complete opposition to the bill with that section leaves a pretty tough message for the public.

We'll just have to wait and see.

HB 3528
SALEM

Representative Bill Post (R-Keizer) has drafted legislation that would provide an alternative to the unworkable universal background bill moving through the Senate.
HB 3528 makes it illegal to knowingly or unknowingly transfer a firearm to someone who is not eligible to possess one under state law. "The proponents of universal background checks for firearms transfers do not understand that background checks do not stop crimes–they just complicate the lives of law abiding citizens," Rep Post stated. "My bill makes it so that if I know that my neighbor is a responsible person, I would be comfortable selling him a gun. But if
I'm not sure, then I will want to run a background check on him before I sell him that firearm."

HB 3528 simplifies state law, making it easy to enforce and providing a solution for an often polarizing issue.
A second piece of the bill would require the Oregon State
Police to delete records containing the serial number of a firearm if the request for a background check is approved.

I dont trust this HB3528 seems like a weak attempt at a pacifier to me
I dont trust cops or feds to delete the records!
why do they still want the serial number of the firearm to be transferred in private sales?
they only need to run a check on the person receiving the gun....or are they now assuming we are all felons & every gun is stolen?

I called my state senator (Springfield, OR) and he assistant said that they were getting lots of calls in opposition to the bill and almost no calls in favor. Don't take a back-seat approach on this one. They DO listen to their constituents. I told her that I, and those I know make decisions about our elected officials with our votes. She said this was all valuble info to the senator to assist him in deciding his vote on the bill. Please call. You can google your district's senator in 30 seconds. The call takes a minute.

I got that one too. I think that it's an important PART. We also need -2, -3, and -4 amendments reinstated. Those amendments exclude active duty military, current police officers, and CHL holders from the process.

Or perhaps, just add the mental health clauses to the existing law and leave the private transfers alone.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top