JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
well i just got a mak-90 in trade, i am kinda new to the ak scene and i am trying to make sure it is 922r compliant before i bring it out.
as far as i can tell the handguards, pistol grip and stock are all us made but none of them say "made in the us" or have a brand name on them. so how can i tell?

the mags are pro-mags so i know those are american made.

any info would be great.

picture here:
http://imageshack.us/f/594/dscf3458w.jpg/

if you need any close up pics let me know.

Has the trigger group been changed, or is it still Chinese? ( Tapco triggers will have a "G2" on them, Century will have a "C". )

....and I will get flak for this, but....you didn't manufacture the rifle, technically you don't need to worry about 922r. That being said, better safe than sorry.

With a MAK, US trigger group, P-grip, and mag will get you there.

i am about 90% positive that the trigger group is not american made, my tantal had a tapco trigger and that was easily identifiable

Pick up a G2 kit then, they are actually a really decent trigger and patterned after the Chinese ones so it will look right at home. I would guess that the collapsible is a US made one as well... You pic is way too dark for me to tell, but the HGs look like KVAR ( well maybe ) if they are they will have a small "US" molded into them....I can grab mine and take a pic if you want.

ETA...take off the pistol grip and check the top of it where it meets the receiver for a stamped or molded US

If you stick with the US mags you are already compliant, assuming your PG, buttstock and forestock set are US made. Those three, plus the three parts in the mag, make for six US parts. Since your barrel isn't threaded, you are actually up one part.

Keith

IMG_1389.jpg

Crappy quick pic

Top rear of the upper and lower left of the lower ( right side of pic ) you'll see the "US"

appears to be the original disconnector and gas piston.
i do not see "US" anywhere on the outside of the handguards.
i took the upper handguard off so i could look down inside them but i dont see anything in there either.

i plan on using the us mags and when i purchase more they will be us made as well

well the pistol grip and the stock are both UTG, no wonder why i couldnt find "made in america on them"
my guess is the handguards are too

so i am just gonna go ahead and replace the pistol grip and the stock out before it goes anywhere.
that should set me at 5 and i am good.
thanks for the help

i think i am gonna go with the tapco fixed stock and tapco intrafuse ak-47 saw pistol grip

on cheaper than dirt they say that the stock will not fit a mak-90, from what i read on some other forums it just required a little dremmel work to fit, anyone know if this is true?
i have a straight cut stamped receiver.

Replacing the gas piston ain't that hard. There's a couple of videos on YouTube. Ak-builder has them. A bench drill is good enough for the job. Or, if you don't have a bench drill, a hand drill and a vise should do.

But, I would replace the FCG. Tapco G2 single hook should go for about $30 (three compliance parts). If you go this route, you should get one of these:
rsa_plate_new.jpg FCG Retaining Pin

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=166

i ended up ordering the g2 trigger w/ retaining plate today, that and the 3 parts that make up the mag should make it good. i am also gonna throw a tapco pistol grip on just to be safe.
we are gonna be getting a drill press in the near future so i will pick up a new gas piston then and probably a tapco stock at the same time. that way i will be able to use foreign mags if i chose.

thanks for the help to everyone.

Since you'll have the 5 parts covered if you add the piston and grip, you should lose the plastic and get yourself a Chinese stock set instead of the Tapco. You'd have an excellent Type 56 clone on your hands. The stocks are still available from Polytech.

<broken link removed>

Keith

yeah i started thinking about it and will probably hold off on the stock until i can get something nicer.
i will be golden after installing the trigger (3 parts) and using us mags (3 parts)
most likely i am only gonna change the piston and pistol grip if the US mags dont function well in my rifle.
that way i will have 5 parts and be able to use Chinese mags.

technically that might be right. better to be safe then sorry though. i know there hasnt been any confirmed cases of anyone ever getting in trouble for this (that i know of), but i wouldnt be amazed if i was the first.i would be kissing all my rights goodbye right there.
i like to be able to legally own firearms and enjoy all the other luxuries that felons cannot partake in, so it really aint worth the risk.
i am already having to wait another 8 months to get my chl due to throwing some garbage in a dumpster.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top