JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is pretty crazy call from a homeowner who called 911 after his house was broken into. Note that it took a good 10 minutes for police to arrive on scene...during which time the homeowner had to shoot one of the robbers and hide out in his closet. It really solidifies the notion that, "you're on your own, and nobody is coming to save you."

This first link is the full recording...I don't think you need a FB account to hear it...

And I'm pretty sure this is the actual event. It happened up in Seattle a few weeks ago...

'I had to shoot him': Chilling 911 call depicts deadly encounter between homeowner, intruder

How scary. We all wonder what we would do in a situation like this. Good this homeowner kept it together the way he did.

Good for the homeowner!

Good for the BG (not being able to EVER do this again!)

He rocked it!

1) He told that the man had attacked him...and nothing else.
2) He said the attacker will need help.
3) He waited in ambush without searching his house (these observations are not in order)
4) He secured his gun without shooting it. An adrenaline dump will make safe gun handling tougher than we might imagine.

I only have one small critique. He should have asked the 911 operator for a second ambulance. Always ask to get checked out. If for no other reason it gives you at least a little time to gather your thoughts before telling the story.

Last Edited:
The hiding in the closet always makes me chuckle. The person has already broken into the house, the closet door isn't an impenetrable fortress.

Seems simply like a panicked response from not ever thinking through the situation before.

Did you consider that unusually long or what might be reasonable for your location?
I'm 8 minutes from a city of 20,000 so location wasn't the issue. The dispatcher messed up and stated it was an prowler vs burglary. I guess if someone's outside your home it just ain't that important. ;)

I'm 8 minutes from a city of 20,000 so location wasn't the issue. The dispatcher messed up and stated it was an prowler vs burglary. I guess if someone's outside your home it just ain't that important. ;)

You bring up another good point, human error. Neighbor of mine called 911 one night. Some guy had been seen outside middle of the night trying to look in windows. She calls 911. Her address was put out wrong. Instead of 1234 S her street, the Officers were told 1234 N Her street. So LEOs show up, are walking around home. Tell dispatch they see nothing have caller step out. Caller steps out, she sees no Police. After this was relayed to Police someone suddenly realized what was wrong. Cops were 10 blocks the wrong side of the zero street. Jumped in cars and left rubber getting to her. Nothing happened but I did play the tape for her husband who was LIVID. The 911 dispatcher had her open the door and step out, some scum could have been standing there waiting for her.

You bring up another good point, human error. Neighbor of mine called 911 one night. Some guy had been seen outside middle of the night trying to look in windows. She calls 911. Her address was put out wrong. Instead of 1234 S her street, the Officers were told 1234 N Her street. So LEOs show up, are walking around home. Tell dispatch they see nothing have caller step out. Caller steps out, she sees no Police. After this was relayed to Police someone suddenly realized what was wrong. Cops were 10 blocks the wrong side of the zero street. Jumped in cars and left rubber getting to her. Nothing happened but I did play the tape for her husband who was LIVID. The 911 dispatcher had her open the door and step out, some scum could have been standing there waiting for her.
Agreed...point is be armed...problem solved. I will say when I made the decision to carry all waking hours it's not always comfortable, but it is comforting.

Agreed...point is be armed...problem solved. I will say when I made the decision to carry all waking hours it's not always comfortable, but it is comforting.

YEP!! When her other half calmed down, I said play this tape for her. They own guns, she was just not "really into shooting". I told him let here hear what happened so if it happens again, 1 have a gun in her hand, 2 look out windows before putting gun down and opening door no matter what the LESA Operator is telling her. Make sure you can see Officers out there, not take the Operators word for it. Bottom line we are all responsible for our own safety. When we rely on humans to protect us they will some times make errors like this. I played the tape for my Wife too. Told her same thing. If you can't see Police out there don't open the door!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top