JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok so the numbers are wrong - where are the stats to prove that those are wrong? What do the other gun owners that do not belong to the NRA and such actually beleive? Not agreeing with Obama but sure would like this to be a discussion that deals with facts instead of "gut feelings" and "I think so's". Even the NRA is small percentage of gun owners tbat try's to force thier beliefs on the other million of gun owners.

Just because I do not like the idea of universal back ground checks doesnt mean that the average US citizen agrees. Not everyone thinks the same as us gun enthusiast - heck even us enthusiast dont agree on many things.

James Ruby

People don't understand you can manipulate any numbers you want. Whether you are from the NRA or the White House. The problem with people is they just take it as gospel without asking questions. Like where the hell is that university that did the poll are they a liberal school like PSU? Did they just poll students and teachers? Stop pushing numbers that don't mean bubblegum.

We support him, however in their study the left out the word Impeach. The article should read most gun owners support the Impeachment of Obama.

Just a typo :)

Sort of like the study showing we supported a second term for Obama. The word prison was left out though. A fairly important omission.

Ok so the numbers are wrong - where are the stats to prove that those are wrong? What do the other gun owners that do not belong to the NRA and such actually beleive? Not agreeing with Obama but sure would like this to be a discussion that deals with facts instead of "gut feelings" and "I think so's". Even the NRA is small percentage of gun owners tbat try's to force thier beliefs on the other million of gun owners.

Just because I do not like the idea of universal back ground checks doesnt mean that the average US citizen agrees. Not everyone thinks the same as us gun enthusiast - heck even us enthusiast dont agree on many things.

James Ruby

I don't belong to the NRA & I know those numbers are made up. The scientific basis behind those numbers are done no differently than if you went onto any yahoo news story & took the top 10 rated best comments & counted their total thumbs up to their total thumbs down. Every news story would show the PRO gun comments having a 85%+ approval rating as well as being in all top 10 spots on that news story. Not a single gun control comment would be in the top 85 comments of any news story that has 100 comments or more. That's as good of a scientific finding as they state with their numbers except these are verifiable on the net by anyone & everyone.

If you click on the highlighted items in the article it give you the stats. When you see where they come from its all you need to know. Here are the 2 from the article. Seems like they added them together Not sure. Notice the sample size what BS for an entire Country of 300 Million. Also look at the sample size of repubs vs dems.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/S..._Teases/MJ_Marist Poll Release_April-2013.pdf

<broken link removed>

I'm fully aware my opinion on an AWB do not jive with the majority of Americans. My opinion background checks don't jive with even most on this site. That doesn't make me decide to discount a Quinnipiac poll as trumped up nonsense.

Yet another poll from this Quinnipiac University, which seems to have churned out all of the recent polls in support of all of the Obama gun control talking points.

Who the hell is this university?

Quinnipiac University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quinnipiac University (pron.: /&#712;kw&#618;n&#616;pi&#720;æk/) is a private, nonsectarian, coeducational university located in Hamden, Connecticut, United States at the foot of Sleeping Giant State Park. The university grants undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees through its College of Arts and Sciences; School of Business and Engineering; School of Communications; School of Health Sciences; School of Law; School of Nursing and School of Education. U.S. News & World Report's 2013 America's Best Colleges issue has ranked Quinnipiac University first among northern universities with master's degree programs as having made the most promising and innovative changes in academics, faculty, campus or facilities. Quinnipiac is home to the well-known Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

oh, THAT well-known Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, the one who nobody other than mainstream left-leaning media has really even heard of?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinnipiac_University_Polling_Institute

The Quinnipiac University Polling Institute is a public opinion polling center based at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut. It surveys public opinion in Connecticut, Florida, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, and nationally.

It is considerably larger than other academic polling centers, including the Franklin & Marshall College Poll, which only surveys Pennsylvania. The organization employs about 160 work-study students as interviewers, generally drawing from political science, communications, psychology, and sociology majors, as well as some interviewers that are not affiliated with the university. The poll has a full-time staff of ten. The university does not disclose the Institute's operating budget, and the poll does not accept clients or outside funding.

Hmm. Interesting that so much of the MSM talking points in support of the Democrat's gun control plans are being determined by a small private northeastern acedemic polling center that primarily polls a small subset of northeastern states and is entirely comprised of students and a permanent staff of ten people. I'm sure these young students are without political bias, ask honest, straight-forward questions, and never make mistakes or tweak the numbers.

Their average polling size is about 1,000-1,500 individuals. Yep that accurately represents the opinions of 300+ million Americans.

I'm fully aware my opinion on an AWB do not jive with the majority of Americans. My opinion background checks don't jive with even most on this site. That doesn't make me decide to discount a Quinnipiac poll as trumped up nonsense.

That's alright you don't need to discount them, they discount themselves just fine without your help. Read the post above this one.

I don't belong to the NRA & I know those numbers are made up. The scientific basis behind those numbers are done no differently than if you went onto any yahoo news story & took the top 10 rated best comments & counted their total thumbs up to their total thumbs down. Every news story would show the PRO gun comments having a 85%+ approval rating as well as being in all top 10 spots on that news story. Not a single gun control comment would be in the top 85 comments of any news story that has 100 comments or more. That's as good of a scientific finding as they state with their numbers except these are verifiable on the net by anyone & everyone.

So that to me means that there are alot out there that dont see gun ownership as we see it. There are alot of people that simpley dont like guns.
I can't support either sets of numbers but I find your method as inaccurate as Obama's.

James Ruby

Go ahead and give us your entire analytical take on the pole and tell us, really tell us how the poll reads.

"According to the poll, 91 percent of American voters support background checks for all gun buyers, while a mere 8 percent said they are opposed. The poll also showed 88 percent of gun owners in favor of universal background checks "

Don't assume the poll is wrong. Quinnepac is fairly respectable.

I've said this 1000 times: Blocking the IDEA of universal bg checks is going to be a VERY hard sell.

The vast majority of people have no idea how this affects anyone but BGs in any bad way. They don't know about the backdoor registration, they don't grasp how criminals get their guns and they don't fundamentally see any issues with the idea.

The problem with this kind of legislation, like all gun legislation is that it's a highly technical subject with many, many variables and hosts of unintended consequences that never occur to most folks without both a detailed understanding of the proposal and a lot of other knowledge.

If you think the average voter is even remotely that well informed on the subject, you are dead wrong. We can't even get politicians to understand the basics of how firearms work before they vote on a law.

It's up to us to educate people about why this is a bad idea. God knows none of the media seem to even understand it, much less be willing to tell the truth about it if they did.

I had a great conversation with three of my daughter's friends this weekend. They all live in the Seattle area, 2 were ambivalent about guns, one was anti and they all graduated from college about 6 years ago. They all supported "universal background checks" (all but my daughter).

I posed the following questions to them: If your dad had a 22 rifle that he had taught you to shoot as a kid and now wanted to give it to you would that be OK? If you wanted to give one of your guns to a sibling (I'm assuming you've known them all your life) should you be able to do that? If you wanted to give one of your guns to your child when they were old enough should you be able to do that? ALL of them said yes (even the anti).

Then I asked if it was reasonable to require them to take the gun to a gun shop, fill out paperwork, pay a fee, run a background check, if results aren't immediately available they may have to leave the gun with the gun shop and they may or may not be able to ever take possession of the gun would that be OK? Dumbfounded looks all around.

Once you put "universal background checks" into real life scenarios support for the entire process dies off quickly.

I know I made 2 converts this weekend and possibly even an anti is thinking twice about it now.

Their average polling size is about 1,000-1,500 individuals. Yep that accurately represents the opinions of 300+ million Americans.

It does, with a 95% CL and a 3% CI.

I find that people that complain about this point so loudly don't understand statistics.

Just because a sample size doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean it's not statistically (mathematically) valid.

Sample Size Calculator - Confidence Level, Confidence Interval, Sample Size, Population Size, Relevant Population - Creative Research Systems

Unless you lobotomize 50/100 people you will never get a 91 percent consensus about ANYTHING!!! I really do think they throw ridiculous numbers out there that have no basis, or even hope to ever have a basis in reality so Obama and his buddies can troll NWFA as JammerSix and see how many gun nuts they can get to defend their 91 percent lie.... I know it amuses me i'm sure it amuses them even more! :s0112:

I had a great conversation with three of my daughter's friends this weekend. They all live in the Seattle area, 2 were ambivalent about guns, one was anti and they all graduated from college about 6 years ago. They all supported "universal background checks" (all but my daughter).

I posed the following questions to them: If your dad had a 22 rifle that he had taught you to shoot as a kid and now wanted to give it to you would that be OK? If you wanted to give one of your guns to a sibling (I'm assuming you've known them all your life) should you be able to do that? If you wanted to give one of your guns to your child when they were old enough should you be able to do that? ALL of them said yes (even the anti).

Then I asked if it was reasonable to require them to take the gun to a gun shop, fill out paperwork, pay a fee, run a background check, if results aren't immediately available they may have to leave the gun with the gun shop and they may or may not be able to ever take possession of the gun would that be OK? Dumbfounded looks all around.

Once you put "universal background checks" into real life scenarios support for the entire process dies off quickly.

I know I made 2 converts this weekend and possibly even an anti is thinking twice about it now.

I don't think you really made any converts. Those anecdotal instances you used are easy to deal with in final versions of the bill. EBC is going to pass, but its also likely to be incredibly watered down in the final compromise. The NRA really needs to pull its head out of its *** and stop pushing a really lame argument that NOBODY save for a few fringe members is buying. You couldn't get +90% of people to agree on what day it is and they all agree on this. So its time to stop wasting political capital on a lost cause and to start to work (im sure they are already deep in negotiations behind the scenes) on what the final version should look like.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, until after a CHL permit and a background check has been approved by the state you reside in.

So much for rights.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top