Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

9-year-old girl dies after accidental shooting in Oregon City

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RVTECH, Apr 16, 2013.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

2. chariot13

chariot13 Near Eugene/Springfield Well-Known Member

This is getting? Like accidents have taken on some new form of greater stupidity..... Accidents or actions without intent as much as actions with intent have not gotten any worse today than they were 25+ years ago. Back then the political hot topic was children losing their lives because they weren't wearing a seatbelt, so the government got involved & made every parent 'pay' if they didn't buckle themselves up as much as their children. Its always been a parenting issue & not the governments business, whether its to do with guns or cars. You raise your children to be extra careful with guns as a child then the above story you posted wouldn't happen (as often) when they're adults. You raise your children to be extra careful behind the wheel as a grown up then the past stories of children losing their lives in cars wouldn't happen (as often) when they're driving their own children around. You see no matter what safeguard you put in place & regardless if they were wearing a seatbelt today or weren't back 25 years ago, kids still die in car accidents without intent much more often than they do in car crashes that happen with intent. Seatbelts were not the answer then anymore than gun control is the answer today or in the future. Teaching your children the value of life & to at least make an attempt at paying attention & to be careful in whatever they do, is. There will still be accidents with death no matter what safeguard is in place, there will still be a loss of life on purpose by some as well. You can't stop the living from dying no matter what formula you come up with. So all you can do is your best & I want you to keep your best away from me, i'm not interested in instituting any 'ones' formal best in the name of government for all, including my own best for all.

bcdon and (deleted member) like this.
  3. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Not accidental, negligent. I'm pretty hard core about this, I think he should hang high

BDA.45 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Blitz, I think anyone who is around firearms long enough is going to have an ND.

The problem I have with this story is that, at least the version I saw, said he was cleaning his gun. Huh??!!

Who cleans a loaded firearm? If you're checking clear, that muzzle ought to be pointed in a safe direction (like you or I would out of reflex!) so we're talking at the floor, but this bullet went sideways and hit the kid. Neg discharge becomes neg homicide.

Swell.

6. bluesurf

bluesurf Portland Active Member

The news last night said "he was practicing drawing his weapon for a new security job he just got." Who practices with loaded weapon in his house with neighbors close by.

7. ARKLITE881South

ARKLITE881South USA Well-Known Member

Thats a real shame, stupidity on his part. I have an 8 yr old grandson, he loves to go out hunting with me, i allow him to carry a .22, unloaded, but, as far as he's concerned, its always loaded. I was given an old .303 British jungle carbine by a friend of mine. Our grandson came over and i told him to come here and check out this old rifle. [ I had just checked it to make sure it was not loaded, even though i knew it was not] He didn't see me do that, i hand it to him, 8 yrs old, he works the bolt to the rear, checked by looking in the mag well, and into the chamber, looks the rifle over and say's ''neat''. BOY!! was i EVER impressed!! looks like it rubbed off, man, was i, am i EVER proud of him. Life is short, life is precious,and, especially with children, its YOUR/OUR, job to do all you can to continue to have that child in a safe environment, and TEACH them the correct/safe way to do things. What a shame a little girls life was lost because of a stupid stunt.

8. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

As a species we are simply getting dumber and dumber as time passes by, not smarter. Dumb people do dumb things. There is nothing that can stop that trend. Not just with firearms. Stupid is as stupid does.

accessbob and (deleted member) like this.
  9. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Yep, you just can't legislate against stupidity but they keep trying..

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  10. osterr1999

osterr1999 Silverton, OR Active Member

There are plenty of idiots out there. I used to work in an hospital and a guy came in that decided after having a few cold ones to demonstrate firearms safety to his kids, he shot himself in the hand instead.

Had another guy come in who went shooting with his buddy and after a few beers and shooting up some targets the guy goes to set up more targets and his buddy decides it would be fun to shoot at his feet and make him dance, like in the westerns. He shot him in the calf instead.

It's job security I guess, but these are the people that end up accidentally killing people by not respecting what a firearm can do. I don't begrudge anyone for having a few beers, but once you do that the guns should be locked up period.

11. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Dave, with all due respect, how have I managed to live a lifetime with guns (I'm 52) and never shoot any innocent household critters? Actions should have consequences

12. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

No argument from me on this one... then mix in a society that gets more and more mentally dependent on technology to do their "thinking/calculating" for them. The brain needs to get worked, or else it gets "flabby".

13. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Blitz, I never shot an "innocent" anything. Everything I ever shot was guilty!

But seriously, I had a neg discharge with test gun several years ago — something went haywire with the trigger mechanism IIRC and it never happened again after I stripped the gun down — and I've been in the presence of other folks who ND'd but in every case, the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction. That CAN happen, despite out best efforts otherwise.

But when I read case reports where somebody was cleaning a loaded gun and blasts the TV or the cat or someone else, or themselves in the foot, it simply astounds me.

So far as your track record goes, good on you! Now go knock wood and thank all the gods in the heavens for your good fortune.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  14. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

I was telling my wife (of 21yrs)about this when my daughter(22yrs) called to say that her moms boyfriend is that poor girls uncle. Too sad. I can't understand why anyone would be doing any type of firearm related drill with a loaded gun with or without people around. That guy was in the wrong 100% and that tragedy was 100% avoidable! Read your manuals people! The life you don't negligently kill while you're "practicing" could be your own! Or it could be someone that is loved by someone that trusted you to be responsible and now you have to face their family. I'm sure he feels like SH#T but, HE was irresponsible with his firearm and it cost an innocent person her life. It happens all of the time. Please be safe and responsible with your firearms. There is a ton of info online on how to handle your firearm safely regardless if yours came with safety instructions. I personally do not know any of the persons directly related to this tragedy. It's just sad being as close to it as I am.