JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I accidentally high jacked a thread, asking about L.L.'s H&R 939 and posting a picture of my NEF R92 and the focus was taken off the original post! Made me realize maybe we need another thread!

Okay, I've owned 2 High Standard Sentinel 9 shot revolvers in the past (gave one of them to my best friend) and I've owned two H&R 999's that I really wish I had back (one was nickel but I preferred the blued gun from the early 80's).

I horse traded last week about $60-70 worth of primers and powder to a local guy for this NEF R92 6" 9 shot revolver. Clean gun that is nose heavy. I prefer my Colt Diamondback, of course, but this utility gun is great for what it is! Accuracy off hand with a stout trigger was about the size of a racquetball at 20 yards. Not too shabby!

I made some Cocobolo grips for it this weekend out of scrap materials my friend had. I wanted to lengthen the grip, but there wasn't enough material and I don't have a mill.

So...what are your experiences with 9 shot .22lr revolvers? They have a great utility/capacity function to them that the beautiful Smiths & Colts of old don't. The 617 is one on my list to get but spendy.

472CF2DE-BE65-4D07-A7A3-BEBCFDB97270.jpeg 77F49BE6-596D-4905-8839-7FA5FECFA561.jpeg 89DF84DD-FCD9-4CCD-B987-5AA21F55EF37.jpeg 950A635B-1166-44B1-A610-B7917DB21F80.jpeg BC047C9C-4D66-476D-8DA9-5C459B527F8B.jpeg

Very nice revolver, I wish I was handy and could make custom grips. I have and love my 617, but my co worker has a sweet 9 shot revolver. Not sure of the make but it is fun to shoot at work. I have one of those jobs that I can shoot throughout the day, sometimes they even buy the ammo, LOL.

I'm just a hobbyist and have limited skills and tools. My friend makes custom recurve bows and has various scraps from risers he makes. I tried Padauk & Wenge first, but it was under sized in areas and I sanded through the wood at the top, exposing holes. I made the Cocobolo grips after, and improved them over the first set (Padauk).

EEBF917F-DF03-45F3-9A9E-93259EA9305A.jpeg B7C6D64A-C417-4285-A9F6-1AF74E0C1FD2.jpeg 567B8BB2-3498-4663-9285-F5C38474E4E8.jpeg

My 9 shot High Standard 'Sentinel'.
This is an early R-103.
These have an interesting history and are really great guns that were ahead of their time in design.
I highly recommend to anyone who finds one (especially 4" or shorter) and the price is right to take it - as these have really started 'drying up' in the last few years.
I am currently looking for a 4" barrel to swap mine out with.

IMG_2575.JPG

Last Edited:
https://diamondbackfirearms.com/sidekick/I accidentally high jacked a thread, asking about L.L.'s H&R 939 and posting a picture of my NEF R92 and the focus was taken off the original post! Made me realize maybe we need another thread!

Okay, I've owned 2 High Standard Sentinel 9 shot revolvers in the past (gave one of them to my best friend) and I've owned two H&R 999's that I really wish I had back (one was nickel but I preferred the blued gun from the early 80's).

I horse traded last week about $60-70 worth of primers and powder to a local guy for this NEF R92 6" 9 shot revolver. Clean gun that is nose heavy. I prefer my Colt Diamondback, of course, but this utility gun is great for what it is! Accuracy off hand with a stout trigger was about the size of a racquetball at 20 yards. Not too shabby!

I made some Cocobolo grips for it this weekend out of scrap materials my friend had. I wanted to lengthen the grip, but there wasn't enough material and I don't have a mill.

So...what are your experiences with 9 shot .22lr revolvers? They have a great utility/capacity function to them that the beautiful Smiths & Colts of old don't. The 617 is one on my list to get but spendy.

View attachment 1196444 View attachment 1196446
Had a Double-Nine dual cylinder, but ended up selling it decades ago. Always wanted a Sentinel Mk. IV, but now they are getting up there as RVTECH mentions. The D/A pull is atrocious, which is the biggest fault.

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 4.52.20 PM.png
The Sentinal Mk. IV was rather Diamondback-like, by intention I imagine.
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 4.48.30 PM.png
But, speaking of Diamondbacks, the Diamondback Arms "Sidekick" has resurrected the Double-Nine. But, at about $275 street price, it's up against some stiff competition.

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 4.56.54 PM.png

I have a 999. It is beautiful, and by shimming the cylinder and replacing the hammer, I think it is working correctly again.

Brand new to the site. First post. I suppose I should post in new members first, but just stumbled on this thread.
I just bought a JC Higgins Model 88 snubbie. I should get it out of WA limbo in a few days. I just happened to be in my LGS last week transferring another gun, and they had this beauty sitting in the display. I've been thinking about it since Friday and luckily it was still there today. I'll post pics and details after I pick it up next week.

Brand new to the site. First post. I suppose I should post in new members first, but just stumbled on this thread.
I just bought a JC Higgins Model 88 snubbie. I should get it out of WA limbo in a few days. I just happened to be in my LGS last week transferring another gun, and they had this beauty sitting in the display. I've been thinking about it since Friday and luckily it was still there today. I'll post pics and details after I pick it up next week.
Might look like this?

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 8.42.41 PM.png

Yes. I can't wait to pick it up next week. I sure do miss "the good old days" when I could do same day pick up in WA with my valid CPL.
Magnum only? The double action pull on these is pretty heavy, but single action is fine. Coincidentally, I just got an email from Norma. Their ammo is free shipping on $49+. I see they sell a hyper-velocity 22 Mag, but it's out of stock just now.

Magnum only? The double action pull on these is pretty heavy, but single action is fine. Coincidentally, I just got an email from Norma. Their ammo is free shipping on $49+. I see they sell a hyper-velocity 22 Mag, but it's out of stock just now.
22 LR

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads