JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's not a 9-shot, but it's an Iver Johnson "Super 8"- yeah it sounds like a motel chain... top-break. A friend had a 9-shot H&R DA that looked like a "cowboy gun" and I really liked it and wanted one but never found one. So, I bought the IJ many years ago as a light-weight carry while in the hills picnicking, fishing, or what-not. Actually I do like it quite a bit.Almost never use it as I found a preferred S&W 6-shot .22 model 36 (i think it's a 36, it's ringer for my model 36 .38spec).. In the event, I never carry THAT either, it slumbers in my dresser drawer.o_O

It's not a 9-shot, but it's an Iver Johnson "Super 8"- yeah it sounds like a motel chain... top-break. A friend had a 9-shot H&R DA that looked like a "cowboy gun" and I really liked it and wanted one but never found one. So, I bought the IJ many years ago as a light-weight carry while in the hills picnicking, fishing, or what-not. Actually I do like it quite a bit.Almost never use it as I found a preferred S&W 6-shot .22 model 36 (i think it's a 36, it's ringer for my model 36 .38spec).. In the event, I never carry THAT either, it slumbers in my dresser drawer.o_O
I bet a mod. 34 in 22 lr. not 36.

My 9 shot High Standard 'Sentinel'.
This is an early R-103.
These have an interesting history and are really great guns that were ahead of their time in design.
I highly recommend to anyone who finds one (especially 4" or shorter) and the price is right to take it - as these have really started 'drying up' in the last few years.
This was my first revolver owned in 1965. As I recall, it had a die cast or aluminum frame. But I remember it well as being a good value and it worked as it should. I think it was a four inch.

About 20 years later, I was in a pawn shop that had a bunch of guns for sale that had come from a PD confiscated gun auction. One such was a Sentinel, I think it was six in. bbl. It had "Lieutenant Tragg's" evidence markings on it. So I bought this one for very little money, had it for a while.

I'm not sure they were great guns, but they were more than good enough for the money. I think of high standard pistols as being made to a higher "standard" than the Sentinel revolvers. The two I owned were blue finish with brown plastic grip panels.

I've got a Hi-Standard Sentinel MKIV 9-shot in .22WMR...The grips are a little short, but it's a phenomenal revolver. I reecently broke it all of the way down for a deep cleaning and put it all back together. They sure don't make 'em like they used to...

1653344683012.png
This is the same model I have

Here's a picture of my Dad's High Standard Double Nine (top) and my Grandpa's High Standard Sentinel Deluxe with the holsters they carried them in. the Double Nine was the first handgun I ever shot. No idea when these were purchased, but I remember my Dad's pistol from about 4 years old, so at least mid to early seventies, if not earlier. My Dad used to tell stories about Grandpa shooting jackrabbits around the farm from the hip with his Sentinel. No idea if true. The triggers are long and heavy, but I imagine you learn to shoot what you have. I am not good shooting these at all. I will never part with these guns. They are a part of my family history, where I really have very little from a couple of the finest men I have ever known. pic.jpg

Here's a picture of my Dad's High Standard Double Nine (top) and my Grandpa's High Standard Sentinel Deluxe with the holsters they carried them in. the Double Nine was the first handgun I ever shot. No idea when these were purchased, but I remember my Dad's pistol from about 4 years old, so at least mid to early seventies, if not earlier. My Dad used to tell stories about Grandpa shooting jackrabbits around the farm from the hip with his Sentinel. No idea if true. The triggers are long and heavy, but I imagine you learn to shoot what you have. I am not good shooting these at all. I will never part with these guns. They are a part of my family history, where I really have very little from a couple of the finest men I have ever known.View attachment 1205840
The Double-Nine should be a steel frame. The Sentinel probably alloy. High Standard switched frame material around a lot.

TY, you are correct, of course. I actually dug it out, and under the crane it is marked "Mod 34-1". My mistake and my bad for not actually checking it BEFORE I posted!
I consider myself fortunate to have acquired almost all the firearms Ive wanted in my life. So many guns, so little time! 😊
Very hard to find them these days. A good find on your part and a keeper for sure!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top