JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have carried a .40 cal since the early 90s. Before that it was a .45 acp. I don't really have a lot of experience with the 9 mm. My wife has gotten into shooting and I got her a Glock 19. When we practice we shoot 115 grain fmj. When she carries it's a 124 grain jhp. With the scarcity of ammo still out there I was wondering would the gun shoot any differently using 147 grain jhp when we can't find 124 grain? Also what is the primary use for 147 grain jhp, is it for self defense. Thanks.

In general, a lighter bullet will be snappier or have sharper recoil because there is more powder used to propel the bullet. In SD (self defense) ammunition, bullet expansion is one of the factors and is typically greater at higher velocities. That's why many of the 124 grain SD loads are listed as +P or higher velocities and beyond the standards for common loads (SAMMI specifications).

For target shooting and competition, I prefer a 147 grain bullet in 9mm. That load gives me less recoil, more of a push back instead of a snap. It still maintains a high power profile because of the heavier bullet. These are just generalizations and there are more variables, but you were asking about basics.

For affordable ammunition in different bullet weights, check out Freedom Munitions. Their 147 grain worked well for me and I used quite a bit of it before I started reloading my own. The important thing is to experiment to see what works best in your guns for your intended purpose.

When she carries it's a 124 grain jhp. With the scarcity of ammo still out there I was wondering would the gun shoot any differently using 147 grain jhp when we can't find 124 grain?
Have you considered not shooting up your 124 grain JHPs? They don't have a "use by" date. I've been carrying the same box of Gold Dots for a decade.

Really? I raised rabbits over an 12 year period, thousands of them, and never heard one fart.
Ru Ro, you got CHS syndrome…

AF7F15D6-C000-43C7-953C-15D12080D8C1.jpeg

Ru Ro, you got CHS syndrome…

View attachment 1253945
I have carried a .40 cal since the early 90s. Before that it was a .45 acp. I don't really have a lot of experience with the 9 mm. My wife has gotten into shooting and I got her a Glock 19. When we practice we shoot 115 grain fmj. When she carries it's a 124 grain jhp. With the scarcity of ammo still out there I was wondering would the gun shoot any differently using 147 grain jhp when we can't find 124 grain? Also what is the primary use for 147 grain jhp, is it for self defense. Thanks.
Thanks to all who replied, once I can find some 147 we will give it a shot at the range and see how she shoots it.

In general, a lighter bullet will be snappier or have sharper recoil because there is more powder used to propel the bullet. In SD (self defense) ammunition, bullet expansion is one of the factors and is typically greater at higher velocities. That's why many of the 124 grain SD loads are listed as +P or higher velocities and beyond the standards for common loads (SAMMI specifications).

For target shooting and competition, I prefer a 147 grain bullet in 9mm. That load gives me less recoil, more of a push back instead of a snap. It still maintains a high power profile because of the heavier bullet. These are just generalizations and there are more variables, but you were asking about basics.

For affordable ammunition in different bullet weights, check out Freedom Munitions. Their 147 grain worked well for me and I used quite a bit of it before I started reloading my own. The important thing is to experiment to see what works best in your guns for your intended purpose.
That makes perfect sense, thanks. We will be trying the 147 grain stuff next range trip.

I think you may be mixing some thing around here:

For two standard pressure self defense loads, like Speer Gold Dots, the recoil energy (power factor) is going to be higher with the heavier 147 grain bullet. Recoil is velocity x mass. From Speer's website:
124gr x 1150fps = 142,600
147gr x 947fps = 144,795

Generally speaking, 147gr defense standard pressure loads can be as hard on the gun (and shooter) as lighter bullets loaded to +P. Which might be why Speer only makes +P in 124gr, even though they make standard pressure in both 124 and 147.

For a target load, you can get a heavier bullet to cycle an autopistol with less powder and pressure by lowering the velocity well below a defense load. But you generally wouldn't want to use a 147gr JHP at those low velocities.

This is all just 9mm - none of it is all that harsh, even the +P stuff. But I would not expect a 147gr JHP to be softer shooting than a 124gr, and I would not expect it to expand as reliably. As you say, velocity is a major component in expansion. The reason 9mm JHPs used to not be considered reliable is that the most reliable expanders also had a tendency toward jacket separation. Bonded JHPs and other technology solved that.

So if I was recoil sensitive and wanted the most effective SD ammo without LE concerns like being able to shoot through car doors, I'd choose 124gr or 115gr bonded JHPs.

I got the point, but to continue with the unappreciated humor; If that'd be the case, A 115gr and 147gr would produce exactly the same recoil since zero farts added or subtracted to anything changes nothing.
That's fine in theory, but if you load them to the same power factor, the felt recoil is significantly less with the 147grain bullet. As I mentioned before, the recoil is more of a push backwards instead of an upward snap on the gun. Try it yourself, you might be surprised.

Can confirm, I thought it would be the opposite effect.
Im not sure if this is the same for 10mm though which makes absolutely no sense to me. But I'm jackin' everything out of my barrels as fast as possible. I can't recall exactly what my 200gr 10mm's are pushing, I want to say 1200fps. (Enough to max out the slide on the frame with a 22lbs - 24lb RSA) so those are fun!

But yes I thought 147's pushed even past saami were more of a shove than a snap. And they were pretty dang accurately too! (XTP's)

I think some are mixing power factor with velocity. If you loaded 115 and 147 gr to the same velocity there would be a big difference in felt recoil.
To the Op's question A 147 gr defensive bullet is using the extra weight to push through the tissue, where a 115 gr bullet likely uses its higher velocity to get its expanded bullet moving through.
At target velocities neither load generates a lot of recoil in a service size handgun. But an SD load begins to add felt recoil. And put those loads in a pocket 9mm and they become a handful.
A few years back a Glock 19 was considered a compact gun. These days they are more mid size to service size. [ others have gotten so much smaller].
I practice with what ever I can find[ these days] and keep a carry load that I can shoot well and be confident that I can make good hits with.
Every couple months I shoot up a carry mag full. This rotates my carry ammo, and gives me some practice with it. Shooting a mag full every other month has me only using 60 rounds a year or so.[ of carry ammo.]
It's hard right now but best you can find a load she likes and stick to that. She will thank you. DR

Yes and then there's other factors. Like a magazine full of 147's vs 115's will add up and might be a annoyance to her.
And a very minor argument is speed does kill speed penetrates barriers better. Its not really even a consideration I'm this argument but idk. I feel its worth mentioning.

I keep saying air marshalls use (or at least used to use) a 90gr bullet in 9mm because theres less of a chance of pass through. It counter intuitive but the faster your bullet goes the less penetration in gel, but it will punch a hole through solid material deeper. Its weird. But speed kills and causes rapid expansion.
Another small factor to consider is what are the ranges and how fast will the bullets slow down. The heavier stuff will loose less velocity compared to equal distances with 115gr. If that's important to you at all.

One way to think about it. Is a heavier bullet will be more likely to be caught in a heavy leather jacket and jeans etc. A faster bullet will "cut" through these layers better.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top