JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

I just recently got given two rifles. One a Lee Enfield m47c no4 mk1 sniper rifle, and the other an 8x57 mm mauser rifle.

Having a devil of a time finding 8mm ammo though. Anyone able to tell me where to find brass for this, or unfired brass cased ammunition for this little fellow?

Also, anyone able to recommend a good, non boxer primed, source for 303 brit that meets the military spec for the 303 enfield? I'd prefer to run good ammo through it.

Already picked up dies for both and chomping at the bit to do some reloads for these fellows.

Any recs for what the best powder ya'll have tried and liked in either of these?

Steve

Sellier and Bellot offer 303 British.
If I was loading .303 British. I think I'd start with IMR3031. IMR4895 is a good choice, too.

Wolf and PRVI both have loadings of .303 brit, and frankly these are my two preferred vendors for this caliber (I think prvi makes wolf's ammo) as their brass is fantastic. IMR3031 powder was developed specifically for the MkVII loading of .303 brit with a 174gr FMJ-BT bullet. I've found this powder to work the best in this caliber, 4895 doesn't have the elasticity and tends to be a bit less friendly, I don't know why.

8mm should be pretty common, again look for PRVI, or you can make brass from .30-06 if you're really hard up.

Wolf and PRVI both have loadings of .303 brit, and frankly these are my two preferred vendors for this caliber (I think prvi makes wolf's ammo) as their brass is fantastic. IMR3031 powder was developed specifically for the MkVII loading of .303 brit with a 174gr FMJ-BT bullet. I've found this powder to work the best in this caliber, 4895 doesn't have the elasticity and tends to be a bit less friendly, I don't know why.

8mm should be pretty common, again look for PRVI, or you can make brass from .30-06 if you're really hard up.

Ask your local BiMart to get you a couple boxes of 8x57 Mauser. They did so for me at my local store and have stocked it ever since. PRVI is another great option and is easy to find online. As for powder, I had good results with IMR 4895 through my Yugo 24/47. Better with H4350.
Couldn't tell you much about the Brit.

So... how many rounds is that? are they 20 rnd boxes? Because I can get 303 for a LOT less than a buck a round.

If this is reloadable brass (boxer primed), it's worth it. What you buy for cheap is probably Berdan primed and isn't easily reloadable, so it's pretty much a junk case after being shot.

If this is reloadable brass (boxer primed), it's worth it. What you buy for cheap is probably Berdan primed and isn't easily reloadable, so it's pretty much a junk case after being shot.

check here <broken link removed>

boxer primed and brass for 16.45 a box and there is cheaper out there...saw some surplus for 99 a can of 200 that i missed out on. brass was all boxer too...ah well

this is factory loaded boxer primed ready to shoot hunting rounds, not just brass.

Ohhhhh they're hunting rounds.

Well then.... I point you here then <broken link removed>

There. Soft nose hunting rounds... brass, factory loaded. boxer primed... $16.45

Just trying to show you that $20.00 for a box I can get the same or similar rounds cheaper (you can find core lock rounds for about $20.00) than retail prices friend... and why would I pay retail prices for three boxes (one missing a bullet) when I can buy the same thing at retail... just sayin.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top