870 Wingmaster dating by serial number...

Discussion in 'Shotgun Discussion' started by AndyinEverson, Oct 7, 2018.

1. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator with a Black powder affinity... Staff Member Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

So I went to a gun show yesterday and traded for a Remington Wingmaster ( Not Express )
    with a 18 inch Improved Cylinder fixed choke barrel and large bead sight.
    Walnut ( ? ) stock with no checkering , Remington brown vented recoil pad ...
    Chromed bolt , blued steel lifter...

I think that the barrel is a replacement as it is marked for 2 3/4 and 3 inch...but my receiver is marked with a "V" not a "M" for magnum....so hence my thought of a replacement barrel.
    Edit to add:
    No letter codes are present on the left side of the barrel...
    on the underside of the barrel is KT which if it is a misplaced date code makes the barrel from May 1970....

Anyways...
    Does anyone know how to date a 870 Wingmaster by the serial number...?
    Thank you
    Andy

F2CMaDMaXX and KKG like this.
  2. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator with a Black powder affinity... Staff Member Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Update...
    I contacted the folks at Remington Arms...their reply was fast ( within a day )
    I have a 1981 Police Model Wingmaster , that left the factory with 18 inch Improved Cylinder barrel....
    It seems my thoughts on the barrel being a replacement was wrong....its nice to be wrong sometimes...:D
    Andy

Slobray, Flymph, F2CMaDMaXX and 7 others like this.
  3. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

Just for fun here is a picture of my new to me Wingmaster...
    Andy
    DSC06837.jpg

Tony617, solv3nt, Slobray and 4 others like this.
  4. DirectDrive

DirectDrive
    Pacific Northwest
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2017 Volunteer

Wow, that's in beautiful shape !
    Nice score Andy !

Nice skeet gun or grouse gun.

DuneHopper and AndyinEverson like this.
  5. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

Thanks DirectDrive...
    I traded a CVA flintlock pistol , I put together for this gun....:D
    Yeah I'm thinking of a grouse gun , a fun shooter , or a Bump in the Night kinda gun...
    Andy

Tony617, Slobray, Flymph and 2 others like this.
  6. MrMillspecer

MrMillspecer
    Scappoose

Nice score Andy. The Wingmaster is one of my favorite shotguns. But I don't care much for the newer ones with plastic parts. I had read the older wingmasters are good for 250000 rounds. Mine is for home d at the moment but have the walnut stocks and vented rib barrel for hunting. Now you have one of each. Lucky.

Are you going to put an extended mag on it ?
    Web pic
    177734_1.jpg

Slobray and AndyinEverson like this.
  7. Pops1911

Pops1911
    Kent

870.JPG
    Nice shot gun Andy. Mine was from February 1950. The Wingmasters went on sale for the first time in January 1950. Still shoots like a dream even with a newly added short barrel. Still have the original long barrel with the full choke for hunting waterfowl and upland birds.

AndyinEverson and DuneHopper like this.
  8. titsonritz

titsonritz
    CV-Solame-OC
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I would chop that fore end down to match the one on Andy's new score. There is a reason the police models came with the shortened version.

AndyinEverson likes this.
  9. MrMillspecer

MrMillspecer
    Scappoose

Its a web pic. Not mine. And I agree the shorter one would be better. It was to show the magazine extension. I use hogue stocks on mine.

IMG_1979.JPG

Pops1911 and AndyinEverson like this.
  10. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

@MrMillspecer ... Thanks...!
    Not sure if I am gong to get a extended mag or not...it does balance out nicely as is....but I may try one , just 'cause...:D
    No plastic on this one ...YAY !

@Pops1911
    Thank you...I've always wanted a shorter barreled 870 ...
    I have my first gun , its a 870 from 1962 , in 20 gauge...as it was Grandads gun...I wouldn't think of shortening it...I just take it out for grouse and have fun with it...
    DSC06606.jpg
    Andy

Siglvr, Pops1911 and MrMillspecer like this.
  11. titsonritz

titsonritz
    CV-Solame-OC

I took the factory extended mag off my 870P and replaced it with a one shot extension for what I think to be nice balance plus an extra shot, but I also have a Surefire DSF light so moving any weight off the front end was a bonus.

That '62 20ga is beautiful.

Pops1911 and AndyinEverson like this.
  12. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

Thanks titsontiz...!
    Andy

13. WillametteWill

WillametteWill
    Willamette Valley
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Nice pick up Andy. Mine is very similar. At least that one. You have to watch out for 870's. If you remember the Star Trek episode of The Trouble with Tribbles...they multiply when you put them in safes!

Mine is being finicky with extended mag tubes. I've tried two different ones and different followers as well and there is an intermittent issues with shells catching at the seam when loading.

AndyinEverson likes this.
  14. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

Thanks Will...
    I may try a extended mag...or maybe not...
    I like the balance of the gun now as is...and 4+1 rounds of 12 ought to be fine for me....
    Thinking of getting a leather ammo carrier for the stock from Badger Claw Leatherworks , before anything else...well not before more ammo....:D
    Andy

15. titsonritz

titsonritz
    CV-Solame-OC

Though you're probably more into leather I'll share this anyway, I have tried a several methods of carrying spare ammo on my 870, this is my latest and the best I've run across thus far.
    https://www.aridusindustries.com/products/remington-q-dc/

Tony617 and AndyinEverson like this.
  16. Nosler

Nosler
    Ohio but Idaho is home

For a long time Remington 870’s serial numbers were located on the barrel but not the receiver. From 51 to early 54 when Remington began making the 20 ga on its own frame the only numbers were on the barrels. I have a 1954 production, large frame 20 ga. That has only a receiver an and no date code or number on the barrel. Then I have a first year 1951 production large frame 20 ga. That has the serial number on the barrel and no place else.