JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
IMG_0194.JPG All Federal high base is split. Remington shells are fine. Bad shells?

Holy cow! How old are those Federal shells? I'd buy a pickup load of them at $1.75!
I'd also make sure to measure and then cut apart at least one of the Federals. There might be a problem in there.

Are the Federal's reloads?

If not , they are older Federal's 60's -70's looking box ... I have shot old ammo , so I'm not against doing so.
Wonder if how they were stored is playing a part in this?...
Andy

Have you checked your shotgun's headspace and the bolt's locking lug? If headspace is too long, or if the bolt's locking lug or the receiver is worn, the pressure will push the bolt back a bit, causing the plastic to stretch, but the brass will tear like that.

Have you checked your shotgun's headspace and the bolt's locking lug? If headspace is too long, or if the bolt's locking lug or the receiver is worn, the pressure will push the bolt back a bit, causing the plastic to stretch, but the brass will tear like that.

I have not checked that yet. This gun is basically new and probably had 2 or three boxes of ammo through it. All other ammo fires fine. Had I not picked up my shells (I always do) I would never had noticed this issue.

I'd be curious to know how long the unfired shells are. *Assuming* the chamber and bolt are within spec, a shell that's too short, or a rim that's too narrow could also cause this.

Even if the other brands of fired shells don't have torn rims, do any of them show even slight fatigue in the same area?

Do the fired primers have any signs of over-pressure?

I'd be curious to know how long the unfired shells are. *Assuming* the chamber and bolt are within spec, a shell that's too short, or a rim that's too narrow could also cause this.

Even if the other brands of fired shells don't have torn rims, do any of them show even slight fatigue in the same area?

Do the fired primers have any signs of over-pressure?

The other shells look good. I fired off an email to Federal but I'm sure it won't do any good due to the age.

Okay, it might just be thin, cheap brass that has become brittle with age. Embrittlement can be caused by excessive oxygen in the copper that the brass was made from, or that diffused into the brass over time, or a number of other things.

Do you have another shotgun to fire these shells from? If the same thing happens, then it's the shells, and I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're a belt-and-suspenders person, you might take your shotgun over to Floyd's (2917 E 2nd) and see if he can check the headspace for you.

Do you have another shotgun to fire these shells from? If the same thing happens, then it's the shells, and I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're a belt-and-suspenders person, you might take your shotgun over to Floyd's (2917 E 2nd) and see if he can check the headspace for you.

How do you know about Floyds? Actually I do have a few more 12 gages but their not pumps. I'll give it a try. Thanks

I sent an email to Federal and explained the problem. (I was hoping they'd replace the 10 boxes I have for free!). They responded saying my ammo was over 30 years old and out of warranty. Bummer!

I still haven't shot them out of another gun but I will.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top