JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I may be trading barrels with another member here and he asked if a 28" barrel chambered in 2 3/4" & 3" be swapped for an 18" barrel chambered in 2 3'4". Will they work with our Wingmaster actions?

Thanks in advance.;)

Jim Sr.

Last Edited:
Let me ask a clarifying question to help you get the right answer. Do receivers that were originally sold with a 2-3/4" chambered barrel accept 3" shells if equipped with a 3" chambered barrel?

Did I succeed in getting to the bottom of your query?

I would bet that the 870 receivers for both shotguns are the same and will accept both 2-3/4" and 3" shells without problem. And even if there was a problem with that 2-3/4" receiver (if there is such a thing) handling 3" shells, the 3" barrel would most definitely fit and they could simply limit their own use to only 2-3/4" shells. But I could be wrong.

CHLChris is correct--very important thing to remember is that if you put a 3" barrel on a 2 3/4" chamber, only shoot 2 3/4" shells. I have an early 80s vintage Wingmaster and got an 18" slug barrel for it. Slug barrel is 3" and it works flawlessly with 2 3/4" slugs/buckshot.

CHLChris is correct--very important thing to remember is that if you put a 3" barrel on a 2 3/4" chamber, only shoot 2 3/4" shells. I have an early 80s vintage Wingmaster and got an 18" slug barrel for it. Slug barrel is 3" and it works flawlessly with 2 3/4" slugs/buckshot.
So barrels to one with a larger chamber wouldnt allow shooting of the larger shells if the gun came out of the factory with a 2 3/4 barrel?

I think we have the answer...:cool:

"All standard Model 870 2 3/4 and 3-inch barrels are interchangeable within gauge, with the exception of 20 gauge guns built prior to 1977."

Thanks guys!!! I love this site!!!!;)

I swapped a new 28" barrel with a 3" chamber for an old, rusted/pitted barrel coming off a '74 Wingmaster. I was concerned about this and was told it may need a new extractor. But @Velzey, who refinished the old gun for me, discovered that the new 3" chambered barrel worked just fine in the old 2 3/4" model, no mods necessary. Even test fired it numerous times for me to assure me it worked!

Yep you can swap and run 3" shells thru a 2 3/4" gun. Just need to measure a few things and make sure it will work. Works just fine! And if the ejection port is to small take your dremel tool to it and open it up :D or just put it on the milling machine and do it. :)

Grinder <equals> faster <does-not-equal> better.

For opening an ejection port, grinder <equals> bubba, mill <equals> gunsmith.

EDIT: I just reread your post @mjbskwim and realized you were joking... I must be snow-dull.

Last Edited:
Its my understanding the position of the extractor on older gun can be a problem. My Mid 70's 870 Wingmaster will not function with the longer 3" shells and it has a 3" barrel on it at the moment.

How to convert an 870 2-3/4 into a 3 inch [Archive] - CMP Forums
Converting shotgun from 2 3/4 to 3 inch - HuntingNet.com Forums

YMMV

Maybe depends on the gun. My '74 Wingmaster took to the new barrel just fine. Velzey ran it for me first to confirm everything worked - extractor, port, etc., all no problem. He had thought the same thing, that the ejector might need to be replaced, turned out it did not.

Ejection port on my very old model 870 wingmaster measures slightly less than 3 inches. This shotgun originally came with a 2 3/4 barrel
and worked just fine with that length. It now sports a new 3 inch barrel. It will shoot 3 inch shells but will not eject the fired 3 inch case through the "to small" ejector port.

Good Shooting

Lindy

IMG_5463.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR