Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

870 barrel elmer fudded on me...

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Sandman86, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Sandman86

Sandman86 Portland Member

So yesterday was the opener of duck season...

Was using a 870. shooting Kent steel 3" #2's. Call in our first set of ducks, first shot goes off, go for my second follow up, and I look and my gun has something hanging off the side... I pull it down to examine it and the end blew up on me.... Im assuming it was too much pressure, or a faulty choke? If you look at the pictures attached its split mid thread on the choke (Modified choke). The barrel was clear of debris, and I checked because I put my 3 round plug in, in the field when we got to the blind. So not too sure?

Not sure if Remington will do anything to fix or replace the barrel? does anyone know?

History on the gun, its about 3-4 years old, Purchased in 09. have approx 1000 rounds through it. Clean it after every shoot.

IMG_1040_zps20485e11.jpg
    IMG_1030_zpsd9dbbbf9.jpg

2. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hi Sandman86,
    Well, Some of the shotgun are not made to fire Steel, only Lead. I would bet that your was not to shoot the Steel. Check with Owner Manual.
    Hope this Helps,
    Tony Portland, Oregon Area

3. Gunnerboy

Gunnerboy Cowlitz County Active Member

looks like you had a squib shot load and had a stuck wad in the end of your barrel, seen it before with kent ammo that sat too long.

4. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

What choke was in the gun? Assuming it was your first shot and therefor no wad was stuck in the barrel (or any other obstruction for that matter), then the next likely culprit seems to be a choke (probably a "full") that was not rated for steel...

You could try Remington for a warranty fix, but I'm not sure I'd hold my breath. May just be a chalk it up to experience and buy a new barrel moment...

5. mudflatmike

mudflatmike Lake Stevens, Wa. Active Member

Sometimes steel shot that has gotten wet (last season) will turn into a big, rusty semi solid slug. When fired, this mass can't get thru the choke and----

6. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

I would have never thought of that. I like the way you think !

7. tdb59

tdb59 OR Active Member

A choke tube that is not completely seated can accumulate crud, or just hang enough of the edge of the shot cup on the skirt of the tube to fracture the barrel.

AMHIK ! :(

8. mudflatmike

mudflatmike Lake Stevens, Wa. Active Member

Been duck hunting around the salt water for along time. Hate steel shot!!!!!!!!!!

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Since it wasn't a 20+ yo gun,it was rated for steel for sure.
    The answers about Kent and the steel rusting is a little unnerving!
    Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath on Remington sending you a barrel.

10. glockman99

glockman99 Hoquiam, WA. Active Member

Lucky no-one got hurt...It could have been worse.

11. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

To me it looks like it was likely a defect in the choke/barrel, if you look at where the split occured, it is just above the threading lines on the choke tube. It is likely that the choke failed and took the rest of the barrel with it. If you think about it, this event happened at the muzzle of the gun, so the pressure there is at the lowest vs anywhere in the barrel during firing.

I would bet remington or kent will probably pick up the tab on the damage to your gun. To me it looks like a badly installed choke tube.

12. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I would certainly pursue that direction. The worst they could do is say no. If it truly was a product failure they'll want to know anyway in order to head off bigger problems in the future.