JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So yesterday was the opener of duck season...

Was using a 870. shooting Kent steel 3" #2's. Call in our first set of ducks, first shot goes off, go for my second follow up, and I look and my gun has something hanging off the side... I pull it down to examine it and the end blew up on me.... Im assuming it was too much pressure, or a faulty choke? If you look at the pictures attached its split mid thread on the choke (Modified choke). The barrel was clear of debris, and I checked because I put my 3 round plug in, in the field when we got to the blind. So not too sure?

Not sure if Remington will do anything to fix or replace the barrel? does anyone know?

History on the gun, its about 3-4 years old, Purchased in 09. have approx 1000 rounds through it. Clean it after every shoot.

IMG_1040_zps20485e11.jpg
IMG_1030_zpsd9dbbbf9.jpg

Hi Sandman86,
Well, Some of the shotgun are not made to fire Steel, only Lead. I would bet that your was not to shoot the Steel. Check with Owner Manual.
Hope this Helps,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

What choke was in the gun? Assuming it was your first shot and therefor no wad was stuck in the barrel (or any other obstruction for that matter), then the next likely culprit seems to be a choke (probably a "full") that was not rated for steel...

You could try Remington for a warranty fix, but I'm not sure I'd hold my breath. May just be a chalk it up to experience and buy a new barrel moment...

A choke tube that is not completely seated can accumulate crud, or just hang enough of the edge of the shot cup on the skirt of the tube to fracture the barrel.

AMHIK ! :(

Since it wasn't a 20+ yo gun,it was rated for steel for sure.
The answers about Kent and the steel rusting is a little unnerving!
Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath on Remington sending you a barrel.

To me it looks like it was likely a defect in the choke/barrel, if you look at where the split occured, it is just above the threading lines on the choke tube. It is likely that the choke failed and took the rest of the barrel with it. If you think about it, this event happened at the muzzle of the gun, so the pressure there is at the lowest vs anywhere in the barrel during firing.

I would bet remington or kent will probably pick up the tab on the damage to your gun. To me it looks like a badly installed choke tube.

To me it looks like it was likely a defect in the choke/barrel, if you look at where the split occured, it is just above the threading lines on the choke tube. It is likely that the choke failed and took the rest of the barrel with it. If you think about it, this event happened at the muzzle of the gun, so the pressure there is at the lowest vs anywhere in the barrel during firing.

I would bet remington or kent will probably pick up the tab on the damage to your gun. To me it looks like a badly installed choke tube.

I would certainly pursue that direction. The worst they could do is say no. If it truly was a product failure they'll want to know anyway in order to head off bigger problems in the future.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top