JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guys & Girls I need your advise

Mom is alone now and worried about her safety

She is not new to guns and hunting but she's older now and has some arthritis in her hands

She had difficulity with the 8lb. trigger pull on my 380 AMT Backup

I'm thinking maybe the Ruger 380 LCP?

I like to take her to an indoor range near Albany Oregon to see what works for her and get some range time in

Any suggerstions of other handguns we should rent?

I think you're on the right track. With arthritis she'd be better off with a single action if she can operate the slide.
There are attachments available for some guns to make operating the slide easier. I've seen them for the Ruger .22's.

Edit: Here's a link to what I was referring to.
Power Custom PCBR

I own an LCP and really, really recommend something else. It's very small and conceals well and that's great. It sacrifices everything else to achieve that. The recoil is punishing. The trigger pull is heavy and a mile long. The accuracy is mediocre.

Get her a full size 9mm of some kind.

.22 revolvers need a heavier trigger pull to get the right primer strike. I would recommend a .38 special. You can have trigger jobs done on those to make the double action nice and light.

Is it for home or to carry? If it's for home, look into a 4" S&W revolver. You can find great deals on .38 Specials most anywhere. Then have a smith do a trigger job on it. Load it with .38spl +P lead semi wadcutters and she'll be good to go.

The 4" barrel will reduce recoil, the trigger job will reduce trigger pull and the .38spl LSWC's were the FBI load for many years. They'll get the job done.

I suggest you stay away from a semi auto. It can be awfully hard to rack a slide for some folks, especially if they have arthritis or some of the maladies that come with age.

Home defense gun? Look for a full-sized semi-auto pistol with a slide she can get a good grip on. Teach her/ find someone to teach her the correct technique for racking that slide. She'll be able to do it*, it's all about technique and using the large muscle groups of the shoulders and back instead of forearms/biceps. Maybe something like the Browning Hi Power, or one of the full-sized M&Ps/XDs/glocks, or a Beretta 92FS or a 3rd Gen S&W.

If she's looking for concealed carry piece, go for a mid-sized compact/large subcompact (XDc/M&Pc, etc sized) Single action or striker fired will have better trigger for her than DA/SA.

Whatever you do, stay away from mouse-guns. Harder to handle, usually much heavier and gritter trigger, much more recoil to manage. All around a bad choice, given what you've told us so far.

* I have taught 4 (out of 4) different frail octogenarian women whose hands are gnarled by arthritis into little claws and who have no grip strength to speak of at all how to successfully rack a slide and manage semi-auto function. Once they learned the proper technique, they universally preferred the semi-auto to revolvers for shooting and had better control/aim/success with the semi-autos.

Best option is a .38 special Smith & Wesson Airweight with a CTC Laser in the grip.
Personally I suggest the single double action with shroud.

They are light easy and practical. Laser is a must.
Grip and point ... red dot is where bullet hits when sighted in.

Great confidence booster to make her feel more secure.

Likely her self protection will be indoors so the red laser is just fine.

Thank you PolishedBrass!

Mother in law gave me the 20 and 12 guages when hubby passed

Dog she has now would lick and intruder into submission, but he's easy on the feed bill...

I would have to vote for a Ruger GP100, the gun needs to be something she will practice with and with her arthitis recoil will be one of the main issues. With the larger frame of a GP100 and shooting .38 Special the recoil will be more managable, she will not practice if it hurts her hands real bad. I would stay away from the light weight .38 Specials.

Ruger® GP100® Double-Action Revolver Model 1705

Try a S&W 3" J frame in .38spl. I would try the 20ga again also, just for a little more intimidation factor. My mom kept her 181/4" 12ga Mossberg 500 until she was well into her 80's!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top