JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BTW, in my first post I meant a used S&W 38. They can be had very inexpensively and they are outstanding revolvers. Many of the used ones are agency trade-ins and they've been carried a lot, but shot a little.

BTW, in my first post I meant a used S&W 38. They can be had very inexpensively and they are outstanding revolvers. Many of the used ones are agency trade-ins and they've been carried a lot, but shot a little.

Yup, I understood that's what you meant. good idea

I have to admit a handgun for her is a VERY VERY BAD choice.

If she is not conceal carrying do not get a handgun

long guns have better triggers in general

She should consider a 20 or 410 gauge shotgun or semi auto 223 rifle or even a lever action in 357 mag

her arthritis will make side manipulation and even revolver trigger pulls too hard to do

also with her poor upper body strength good luck having her hit the target whilst pulling a 5-6 pound trigger

Granny could brain Jethro at fifteen paces blindfolded. Do not underestimate the Granny. A good smooth 4" S&W .38 Special and wadcutters is the way,. If not, see prior post.

Guys & Girls I need your advise

Mom is alone now and worried about her safety

She is not new to guns and hunting but she's older now and has some arthritis in her hands

She had difficulity with the 8lb. trigger pull on my 380 AMT Backup

I'm thinking maybe the Ruger 380 LCP?

I like to take her to an indoor range near Albany Oregon to see what works for her and get some range time in

Any suggerstions of other handguns we should rent?

May I suggest something that most will poo poo..The High Standard Trophy has an adjustable trigger pull and adjustable trigger overthrow. You can have it fitted with a can if you want for noise suppression. My HS Trophy's trigger pull is measured in OZ..not LB.

The Trophy is very easy to shoot and as it is actually a compitition pistol, very accurate...Grandma is not going to be shooting at more than a few feet, and it has been shown that most Bad guys will run at the sight of any gun..no matter what, and 10 rounds of .22 can do a lot of damage up close and personal. I will guarantee she can rack the slide and pull the trigger without pain, and even more importantly, she can most likely fire the weapon without pain.

I have some arthritis myself, and do not shoot my larger pistols as much any more. I also find racking the slide more difficult (I've only been shooting for 55 years, I know what to do). I do carry a CZ85, but I can still handle that.

Like on my CZ52, which is a blast to shoot, I have a very hard time racking that slide anymore and I have to pull with one hand as I push the frame with the other to even be able to do so. (actually planning on giving the CZ52 to one of our daughters because of this problem)

Alternate is a SA/DA revolver, with a good SA trigger. Downside of this is most revolvers do not have a SA safety, and most revolvers would probably be painful for her to fire.

Conclusion..you really love your MIL (like I love my MIL) get her something like a High Standard Trophy. Extremely light (when adjusted that way) trigger, trigger followthrew is also adjustable, easy to rack the slide, good safety taht is easy and comfortable to drop. Good grips that would work very will for a smaller woman. It would be easy for her to accurate with it, she would not have to worry about where the bullet would stop if she missed....etc ...etc...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top