JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Given the current case before the Supreme Court, this could get very interesting.

80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

FOXNews.com

An 80-year-old Chicago man shot and killed an armed man who broke into his two-story house in a pre-dawn home invasion Wednesday on the city's West Side.

At about 5:20 a.m., the homeowner and his wife, also in her 80s, discovered the intruder entering their home through a back door. The homeowner, who had a gun, confronted and killed the burglar on the doorstep, police said. Cops said the intruder also fired his gun during the struggle.

"It's a good thing they had a gun, or they might be dead," said Curtis Thompson, who lives next door to the couple, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Neighbors described the elderly couple, who both walk with canes, as pillars of the community in Garfield Park, where home invasions have been all too frequent.

Their neighbor, Shaquite Johnson, told MyFoxChicago that the two are "heroes" for fighting off the attacker — and that the shooting means there is "one less criminal" walking the streets.
"They don't bother no one, so why would anyone do that to them?" she said.

Relatives of the couple told the Sun Times that the man is an Army veteran, his wife a former nurse. Police said neither the man nor the woman was injured in the attack.

The assailant, who was described by police as being in his 30s, was found slumped on the back doorstep of the couple's house, removed four hours after the shooting, the Sun Times reported.

No charges have been filed against the homeowner, but Chicago currently has a statute outlawing the possession of handguns. Its legality is currently being decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

A high-profile Chicago attorney has already stepped forward offering to represent the man pro bono if he faces charges for possessing a weapon.

"Self-defense isn't just a right, it's a duty," said attorney Joel Brodsky. "If this man is prosecuted for saving his own life it's not just a travesty, it's justice turned inside out."

It will be interesting to see if Daley and his minions utter a peep about this.

Yes, but even though it doesn't say so I am sure they confiscated his pistol.

"We'll let you off this time, but none of that defending your life again." :angry:

The guy should get a "Letter of Commendation" and a key to the city for his actions!

Chicago goverment should be banished and total re-election. It's insane that one of the biggest cities in the US and has one of the largest populations of gang bangers, drug users. Has taken the "Right's" away from the average citizen to protect there own home.

There is a small city in eastern Oregon (don't recall the name) that requires you to own at least one gun to live in there city. There crime rate? 0%! I wonder why? :s0155:

I would like to see what Obama has to say something about the 80-year-old man "acting stupidly". I really hope that someone has the cajones to ask Obama about this incident, as it would put him in a serious pickle. If he condones the man's actions, then it is a federal sign that the gun ban in Chicago is a bad policy. If he says anything about how he shouldn't have had a gun in the first place, then he will be expressing disapproval the idea of an armed populace defending themselves. Either way, someone is going to chaff at his comments.

What is the race of the perpetrator? What is the race of the victim? We need to know these things before we can determine if this is really self defense or a hate crime.

Keith

At 5:20 am , an 80 year old man finds a stranger WITH A GUN coming uninvited through his back door , and anybody should care what color he is ? It was hate related alright - I would HATE to be that idiot ! Who cares what color this jerkwad was ! He is exactly where those who prey on others should be --- in a box !

This is a great story and no doubt a hero in every sense of the word.
I think that burglar got exactly what he deserves.

This is what makes me so sick about this county. This guy will get his gun taken away for good. Leaving him defenseless, he will face prosecution, and not too mention the ridiculous claims of wrongful death from the family, the ignorant public, and of course Revy al sharpton.....

This person should be reigned as nothing more or less than a Hero. Period.

This is a great story and no doubt a hero in every sense of the word.
I think that burglar got exactly what he deserves.

This is what makes me so sick about this county. This guy will get his gun taken away for good. Leaving him defenseless, he will face prosecution, and not too mention the ridiculous claims of wrongful death from the family, the ignorant public, and of course Revy al sharpton.....

This person should be reigned as nothing more or less than a Hero. Period.

You're sick over things that haven't happened yet?

Can you tell me my future too?

I would like to see what Obama has to say something about the 80-year-old man "acting stupidly". I really hope that someone has the cajones to ask Obama about this incident, as it would put him in a serious pickle. If he condones the man's actions, then it is a federal sign that the gun ban in Chicago is a bad policy. If he says anything about how he shouldn't have had a gun in the first place, then he will be expressing disapproval the idea of an armed populace defending themselves. Either way, someone is going to chaff at his comments.
X2

I think the homeowner (what ever race he is) did the right thing.

Any bad guy who prays upon the elderly should beware, not all lay down and die cause you tell them too!

You're sick over things that haven't happened yet?

Can you tell me my future too?

Smart A....

I mean people proscuted for protecting themselves. or their homes. I shouldn't have to try to flee me home if someone breaks in. I should have to call the coroner.

I think ever state should have a castle law, without the duty to retreat.
Stand your ground law should be manditory.
I'm sure the cimes would go down, at least there wouldn't be as many people doing it.

I'm sick of feeling like I can't defend myself or my family without going to jail for the rest of my life.

Go Grandpa!

My wife says: "how dare you defend yourself and your wife"... sarcastically when I read that to her.

This man should not face any charges. WTF is up with Chicago?

While I feel bad for the trauma that the man went through, I am glad that one less scumbag is walking the streets. And I love the fact that this incident is going to put mayor Daley and the rest of the Chicago anti-gun crowd in an interesting dilemna; by law, they will be required to charge this 80 yr old military veteran with a crime for illegal posession of the gun he used to defend his wife in their home. Even the most hardcore, left-wing, granola-eating anti-gun lunatic is going to have a hard time swallowing that one. This is a real no-win situation for the anti gunners.

this may well be the undoing of King Richard's reign... if he unleashes his hordes of enforcers on this gallant man, he will incur the wrath and hatred of the very people he will be looking to for his votes next go at reelection. If he remains silent and inactive, he will incur the wrath and hatred of his crones down at the Club, the Backroom Boys who've been running Chicago since before Prohibition. Either way, he loses... big time.

I hope the Justices of the Supreme Court are paying attention to this... precisely the sort of scenario for which Mr. MacDonald desires protection. His need for such protection trumped Chicago's insane anti-gun laws..... and he's lived to tell the tale. I'll bet his Wife is sure pleased... and proud.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top