JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is my second 80% I've done, the first one went very smoothly. This one has been a different experience.

I didn't notice those cuts on top until sometime during the second stage of routing.
Using an 80% arms jig and dewalt dwp611.

Is this still usable or is it a paperweight?

1656696615640482350271201922891.jpg

That's still useable. At least it doesn't appear to be deep enough or severe enough to compromise the takedown pin hole. That top stuff is just a little fugly, but won't be noticeable or affect performance.

It just looks like your mill bit got away from you. You wanna make sure you''re not "tipping" your router when you go in for another cut. Keep the bit straight up and down for the plunge and let it spin down completely before removing it to adjust depth for the next pass.

Edit: You're right on the edge of your buffer retainer detent hole. Looks okay and the detent body itself is long enough to have a little stability on it's own, but you really don't want to tap that with your mill bit again. ;)

Last Edited:
That's still useable. At least it doesn't appear to be deep enough or severe enough to compromise the takedown pin hole. That top stuff is just a little fugly, but won't be noticeable or affect performance.

It just looks like your mill bit got away from you. You wanna make sure you''re not "tipping" your router when you go in for another cut. Keep the bit straight up and down for the plunge and let it spin down completely before removing it to adjust depth for the next pass.

Edit: You're right on the edge of your buffer retainer detent hole. Looks okay and the detent body itself is long enough to have a little stability on it's own, but you really don't want to tap that with your mill bit again. ;)
I concur, it also looks like you may have had a bit of "chatter" going on with your cutting bit. That's primarily caused by cutting on the wrong side of the spinning bit, you want to cut on the side of the cutting bit going against the direction you want to traverse.

I think you guys are both right, thanks for the advice. I started another lower and payed more attention to the direction I am cutting in and tried not to take too big of "bites" (aka set the endmill too deep). Came out a lot better, not perfect but better.

I'll probably use the junky as a beater lower with a psa kit or something.

Thanks 👍

Looks like you pulled the router out of the lower with it still running or you trying 2 take out to much metal with 1 pass and she got away from you cosmetic she's fine truck lower

....and tried not to take too big of "bites" (aka set the endmill too deep). Came out a lot better, not perfect but better.

I'll probably use the junky as a beater lower with a psa kit or something.
You're right on point. Too big a bite at once will lead to a lot of chatter and dull your bit up faster.. that'll create even more chatter if you're not careful. If you're going to be doing more, you might consider upgrading your bit. Their stock milling bit only seem to last about 3 or so lowers... and the 3rd... it's noticeably more work to keep it "clean".

I've been using american gunsmith bits for a few years now and really like them. They cut like butta and last considerably longer at pretty much the same price as the orginals.

You can also buy from their website if you prefer (or don't use ebay). I prefer ebay for an additional layer of price and product protection, but the price and shipping is identical either way.

Don't sweat it. I think we all have at least one ugly cousin. Par for the course...:s0140:

Concur with everyone here. You can still salvage it. And like has already been said, slow down and take your time, increase the mill bit depth in short increments, rout in the opposite direction of bit spin, and keep the bit perfectly plumb (vertical) and never, ever tip it. Do that, and you'll get something that looks like this:

AR lower.01.JPG AR lower.02.JPG

And like @Yarome says, watch out for that buffer spring detent hole. You're treadin' on some thin ice there... ;)

My Bertha PSA no one wants to play with. No worries... It happens....

DSCN0427.jpg
Spot the major flaw... get a cookie if you keep it to yourself. 🤣

Whaddaya mean "no one wants to play with"? You can't get an upper to fit with it? o_O
It functions flawlessly and fits just great, but it's definately cursed. Or maybe it's just because it keeps getting bumped down the upper lineup, but it seems like no matter what I put it on, no one feels like shooting that one that day.

Put it on a brand new 16" mid gas 5.56 with some nice magpul furniture and upgraded optic. "Nah... we're good with these."(?). Move it to a sweet n light little 5.56 carbine gas "rock and roller"... no dice. Not interested.

I'm going to trick them though. I put together a .22lr dedicated and slapping Bertha on it. I can't imagine any of the kids no wanting to take that one for a spin. ;)👍

I'm going to trick them though. I put together a .22lr dedicated and slapping Bertha on it. I can't imagine any of the kids no wanting to take that one for a spin. ;)👍
In my old high school, everyone took Betha for a spin... :D

Alright I'll admit it I have a lower floating around here some where that I milled all the way through there's no shelf for the trigger was tired on my last pass not paying attention it happens
Here's another 1 my knw it all nephew who doesn't follow directions or instructions bought a jig & lower drilled straight through from 1 side the pin hole 4 the hammer wrecked his jig & the hammer is crooked know it all punk kid won't listen 2 anybody even told him more then once

Here's another 1 my knw it all nephew who doesn't follow directions or instructions bought a jig & lower drilled straight through from 1 side the pin hole 4 the hammer wrecked his jig & the hammer is crooked know it all punk kid won't listen 2 anybody even told him more then once
Waah waah waaaaah...

full.gif

51J5khWhs-L.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads