JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recently purchased the heavy duty jig Modulus Arms makes, but haven't had the time to put it to use yet. From putting it on a few different forged 80% lowers it does appear to be truly universal, but I don't have a billet 80% lower to try it on. When I get a chance to use it in the next few weeks I'll let you know what I think of it. It does appear to be well engineered at this point, but actual use will tell how accurate that assessment is.

Did you ever put this jig to work? If so, what did you think of it?

Sorry, misunderstood. Best of luck though. Very satisfying project to get one built

Why yes, yes it is! :D

IMG_3656.JPG

Now if I could just find a detachable carry handle in the white! ;)

Any of you guys ever check out this jig from 5D Tactical?

Interesting. I've got my eyes out for a good jig - this one may just jump to the front of the list. I notice too that they sell a 'conversion' kit to modify it for 308 lowers without having to buy a whole 2nd jig - that's a nice way to do it - saves some $$

Look to Ireland, they have the best Irish jigs, ever! :D

Hey! Is that supposed to be some kind of dig at my Irish heritage? Are you calling me a jigger?? You don't know my struggle! You don't know what it's like growing up being different from everyone else. Trigger Alert! Trigger Alert! Where's my safety pin! I need a safe space now!! Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!!

Anyone know where I can find some SJW's to protest this site for me?? I think I just peed a little....:(

Hopefully my little attempt at humor doesn't 'trigger' the mods ;)

Did you ever put this jig to work? If so, what did you think of it?
Apologies for my delay in providing feedback.

I have used the Modulus Arms Heavy Duty jig and found it relatively straight forward to use (read that as easy for the mechanically inclined). After 4 lowers have been finished with it there seems to be only surface wear. The hardest part of the whole process was drilling the fire control pocket holes, but I suspect that a sharper bit may help with that. It seems as if only one hole would really be needed instead of the multiple holes and would probably be a zero sum difference in overall time. Having only used this particular kind of jig to finish lowers I really couldn't compare it to any other, but it seems rather similar to the 5D Tactical design. If one only had a few lowers they ever wanted to do perhaps saving a few bucks to buy an all aluminum jig might be a better option. I would recommend this one for those who wanted to do more than a couple of lowers, though.

ETA: The only draw back I can see with the 5d Tactical design is in their placement of the depth gauge. The modulus design has a separate depth gauge that is easy to fit to the router. It looks as if the 5d design the router must be fitted to the depth gauge. In my mind this may present some manipulation issues, but never having used the 5d design I could not say definitively. YMMV

AETA: I also noticed that the Modulus top plate was not a perfect plane, i.e. not flat. A straight edge showed the barest of high spots in the center, that produced a noticeable, though barely, ability to rock the router back and forth when in milling position. The steel insert and the set screws were not the issue as the high spot and router wobble was still noticeable when they were removed altogether.

Last Edited:
Apologies for my delay in providing feedback.

I have used the Modulus Arms Heavy Duty jig and found it relatively straight forward to use (read that as easy for the mechanically inclined). After 4 lowers have been finished with it there seems to be only surface wear. The hardest part of the whole process was drilling the fire control pocket holes, but I suspect that a sharper bit may help with that. It seems as if only one hole would really be needed instead of the multiple holes and would probably be a zero sum difference in overall time. Having only used this particular kind of jig to finish lowers I really couldn't compare it to any other, but it seems rather similar to the 5D Tactical design. If one only had a few lowers they ever wanted to do perhaps saving a few bucks to buy an all aluminum jig might be a better option. I would recommend this one for those who wanted to do more than a couple of lowers, though.

ETA: The only draw back I can see with the 5d Tactical design is in their placement of the depth gauge. The modulus design has a separate depth gauge that is easy to fit to the router. It looks as if the 5d design the router must be fitted to the depth gauge. In my mind this may present some manipulation issues, but never having used the 5d design I could not say definitively. YMMV

AETA: I also noticed that the Modulus top plate was not a perfect plane, i.e. not flat. A straight edge showed the barest of high spots in the center, that produced a noticeable, though barely, ability to rock the router back and forth when in milling position. The steel insert and the set screws were not the issue as the high spot and router wobble was still noticeable when they were removed altogether.

Thanks for the report! Good to have real life feedback!

I actually just cut a lower with the 5d jig. Turned out great. IMO it's the best jig out there right now for doing multiple lowers. Everything still appears brand new, it was very easy to use, and the customer service is phenomenal. Highly recommended.

As far as the depth gauge is concerned, adjustments were straightforward, pretty easy and accurate. But I get what @bnsaibum is saying, it'd be easier with a separate gauge to just set the router down and make your adjustments, I had the same concerns. But it was fine, and fewer pieces is nice too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top