JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many Jig manufacturers recommend WD40 as a lubricant but I've switched to Tap cutting fluid, it's leaps and bounds better.;)
I had wondered about that too, the using WD40. So I bought some water soluble oil that is made as cutting fluid for just this kind of work. Had to buy a quart of it which even if mixed at lowest recommended dilution is way more than I will ever need but its cheap stuff so figured why not. Figured it would have to be better for the endmill.

I have loaned a couple of members here My HK tooling to bend flats. In both cases it came back unharmed. Loaning tooling is not an issue as long as the person you lent it to, does all the work and not the owner of the tool. I even had a couple of WAC members come to my house and use my tooling. I sat and watched but did not take part in the process. I told them what to do and they did it themselves.
Well you know who I'm coming to if/when I decide to do one...
I'll bring Tacos:D

FWIW

Roh won - in essence - but he has abandoned the business, and he probably spent more on lawyers than he ever made charging to setup the CNC machine. He tossed the dice and won. I would not want to risk it - it isn't worth the money saved.

Not to mention the 5 years he's spent uncertain about whether he'll go to prison or not. Between the time, money, and anxiety, he merely prevailed in his case, but he in no way won it -- he only experienced somewhat less punishment than had he lost it.

I had wondered about that too, the using WD40. So I bought some water soluble oil that is made as cutting fluid for just this kind of work. Had to buy a quart of it which even if mixed at lowest recommended dilution is way more than I will ever need but its cheap stuff so figured why not. Figured it would have to be better for the endmill.

Well you gonna share some info or not...:p:p:p

I own AR15s, the powers that be know I own AR15s so I'm not fooling anyone by building on 80% lowers. I can get a stripped lower for $60... much cheaper, easier and probably more precise than if I milled one myself, so I'd way rather let Aero, Colt, or Brownells do the work.

Only reason I plan on doing 80% is for a couple clone builds I have planned..
And it would end up registered under a form one anyway, since it would likely be a SBR(Mk18).
In order to get the "clone correct" roll marks you can have an 80% engraved and then mill it out. And since it's basically a paper weight, mailing it back and forth to get the work done isn't an issue. It is FAR easier, and less expensive than trying to locate and buy the original Colt lowers with the right verbiage..and in some cases the only way since some were never available for civilians and/or were select fire only. Some cloners will even have faux sere pins engraved to the sides... like the Troy xm177 Clone.

One of the builds I want to do is a Commando...Colt sold 120 stripped/ never built M4 Commando marked lowers to the public that could legally be built as pistols a couple years ago, and they sold out in about an hour... so to get an original your looking at at least a few grand... or... you can send off an 80% and have a very convincing likeness engraved for $100 or so. Looks the same, works the same, but much cheaper...
Even a authentic colt M4A1 lower with the government roll marks for a Block2 Build will demand way more than having one custom engraved... that's why I'm using the "acceptable substitute", a M4 carbine(6920) lower on mine for now.

The 5D is a couple hundred, well worth it when you see them. They are VERY well made. They also sell endmills that thread onto the router which are very nice. Made the job of milling one of these out super easy. You may think you do not want another now but get the jig anyway. After I did my first one it was so damn much fun shooting the gun I have got to make more. :D

I love my 5D jig even though it's a Gen I, going on #5...;)

Aluminum 80's are fair game just don't ask to borrow someone's jig... Like I said, be careful.

Yes, still legal to make things from 80%ers for personal use. Technically though, I don't think there are any additional penalties for a prohibited person borrowing a jig and then becoming a an unlawful possessor of a firearm -- the penalties descend on those who "allow, facilitate, aid, or abet" a prohibited person in making their own firearm (the lender or seller).

hmmmm ... thinking about the WA definition of firearm which matters here, not the Federal definition, I don't think a bare receiver is a "firearm" because it can't do what a WA defined-firearm does: RCW 9.41.010: Terms defined.

(11) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder. "Firearm" does not include a flare gun or other pyrotechnic visual distress signaling device, or a powder-actuated tool or other device designed solely to be used for construction purposes.

I wouldn't bank on that distinction though because it would probably take an expensive appellate case to win it.

EDIT: counterargument to my "a lower receiver is not a firearm under WA law" argument: a receiver is part of a firearm, a necessary part, and helping anyone make a necessary part even if on its own it wouldn't be considered a firearm, is against statute.

Yes, still legal to make things from 80%ers for personal use. Technically though, I don't think there are any additional penalties for a prohibited person borrowing a jig and then becoming a an unlawful possessor of a firearm -- the penalties descend on those who "allow, facilitate, aid, or abet" a prohibited person in making their own firearm (the lender or seller).

hmmmm ... thinking about the WA definition of firearm which matters here, not the Federal definition, I don't think a bare receiver is a "firearm" because it can't do what a WA defined-firearm does: RCW 9.41.010: Terms defined.

I don't need no Alphabet bois slinkin around my back yard fence lookin like Wilson at Tim Taylor's place....:s0092::s0092::s0092: :s0140:

There was a member on here a few years back who ran into issues doing AK builds.

IIRC everything was sold to the AK builder. What happened beyond that... unknown. The point being there was some legal jargon that makes it hard to "rent" parts out that allow you to make your own firearm.

Sometimes they pop up in the classifieds and then reappear a while later from another member. Guess people don't like them very much.

If you only make one, buy the jig, then sell it. This way you have an invoice that you bought your own tool. I did that for my 1911 jigs, made $5 loss on it. Be smart, buy when on sale or coupons!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top