JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another question of 80% builds. I see some of the blanks that are sold in the white. Has anyone tried the cold applications to color these? I noticed Birchwood Casey makes a cold solution to black aluminum. Thought I would give a small bottle a try just for kicks. Anyone used it and how did it work, or any other ways to do it without buying a set up to do a pro job?
Ooh that would be cool if it worked. 2 of my 80s are raw. I wasn't sure how I was going to finish them.

To be more clear, I was referring to having someone ELSE doing the engraving. But, yes, an unmachined lower shouldn't be a legal issue even if done by someone else.
It's completely legal to have a non ffl 3rd party engrave your lower reciever while you are present, whether it's an 80 or not. All my NFA items are done this way. They only need to be an ffl if they are storing serialized items waiting for engraving.

Thanks for the clarification.
So how does that square with what seems to be a concern about someone making a lower on someone else's jig or milling machine? Is this more internet legend than truth? That you have to do it on your own tools?

Thanks for the clarification.
So how does that square with what seems to be a concern about someone making a lower on someone else's jig or milling machine? Is this more internet legend than truth? That you have to do it on your own tools?
Held, any person (including any corporation or other legal entity) engaged in the business of performing machining, molding, casting, forging, printing (additive manufacturing) or other manufacturing process to create a firearm frame or receiver, or to make a frame or receiver suitable for use as part of a "weapon … which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive," i.e., a "firearm," must be licensed as a manufacturer under the GCA; identify (mark) any such firearm; and maintain required manufacturer's records.

Held further, a business (including an association or society) may not avoid the manufacturing license, marking, and recordkeeping requirements of the GCA by allowing persons to perform manufacturing processes on blanks or incomplete firearms (including frames or receivers) using machinery, tools, or equipment under its dominion and control where that business controls access to, and use of, such machinery, tools, or equipment.

Held further, this ruling is limited to an interpretation of the requirements imposed on
persons under the GCA, and does not interpret the requirements of the National Firearms Act, 26
U.S.C. 5801 et. seq.

Clear as mud. It stipulates "business". How does that apply to a hobbyists loaning/borrowing a jig to/from another hobbyist at no charge? Not particularly interested in doing either, just trying to understand how this all works.

To be more clear, I was referring to having someone ELSE doing the engraving. But, yes, an unmachined lower shouldn't be a legal issue even if done by someone else.
OK, I see now. Yes, it would still be fine. The way the law goes you can't let someone else machine the 80% for you. Long ago some places with a CNC were set up to do this. They would load the part and have the owner push the button, then say they did not do it. The BATF said no go. Someone who already did the work to make an 80%, a lower then asking it be decorated would be fine. It would be no different than if I took one of mine to someone to be colored in an anodizing tank or such. Only way to get on the wrong side of the law on this is to try to start selling the lower after you made it. Even this is supposedly some gray area. Hear many saying they have done so. I have no doubt some do and get away with it. For me the ones I am making will always be only mine. If I decide to sell the lower would be destroyed and I would only sell the parts you can order. As fun as this has been for me I am not willing to poke the bear so to speak by selling one of these I make.

Hey not to change the subject, but I'm trying to order an upper for my AR 9 I'm doing. Right now I'm looking at one from foxtrot Mike, and one made by stern defense. Anyone have any input on a good AR 9 upper? Looking to go with a very short pistol build.

Clear as mud. It stipulates "business". How does that apply to a hobbyists loaning/borrowing a jig to/from another hobbyist at no charge? Not particularly interested in doing either, just trying to understand how this all works.
It of course makes it muddy. Ever since the 80% started some try to find a way to push the limits. Making your own then having someone decorate it will not cause a problem. The problems always start when some try to move the line and push against it. There was a thread here recently of a guy who got in trouble for this and they ended up letting it go after years it was such a mess. Of course the guy still lost a lot of money and such. Just don't poke the bear with these and they will leave you alone, for now.

Hey not to change the subject, but I'm trying to order an upper for my AR 9 I'm doing. Right now I'm looking at one from foxtrot Mike, and one made by stern defense. Anyone have any input on a good AR 9 upper? Looking to go with a very short pistol build.
Be interested in that too! Already have another lower parts kit here, waiting to get another lower to mill, then next build is a pistol. Be interesting to hear how others have found the uppers around have worked out. This can be addicting :D

Be interested in that too! Already have another lower parts kit here, waiting to get another lower to mill, then next build is a pistol. Be interesting to hear how others have found the uppers around have worked out. This can be addicting :D
Yeah I love it. It's made me think lately about finding gunsmithing classes, looking for work in the firearms industry. Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life, they say.

I have tryed some. Kind off works. Just used it on the inside off the reciver were I Milled out. I would go with a pre-finished 80% lower. When ever possible.

So I'm going to pull the trigger on a jig I guess. Is 5d tactical the way to go? Easy jig? Something else? I need a jig that can do AR 9 as well as AR15.

Sorry for bringing up an old post, but I've been away for awhile.
Either one is really good. I always used the Easy Jig but it's pretty much Ford vs Chevy as both are quality. I finally come up off my wallet and preordered the new GG machine. I want to be able to do the engraving and my mill isn't CNC so I figured WTH. Will take delivery sometime after the 1st of the year. Hoping to make the money back by offering engraving on lowers. No one around here does it esp on uncut 80% lowers.

Sorry for bringing up an old post, but I've been away for awhile.
Either one is really good. I always used the Easy Jig but it's pretty much Ford vs Chevy as both are quality. I finally come up off my wallet and preordered the new GG machine. I want to be able to do the engraving and my mill isn't CNC so I figured WTH. Will take delivery sometime after the 1st of the year. Hoping to make the money back by offering engraving on lowers. No one around here does it esp on uncut 80% lowers.
I looked at the ghost Gunner too but no way I could justify spending that much. I got the easy jig gen 2. I haven't milled any of my lowers yet though.

I just got a FM9 upper today. Of course it shows up when I am working on my days off and working 12's :eek::eek:
Slapped it on a lower of mine and cycled some rounds just to check feeding and it is slick so far. Now can't wait till next week when I can get to the range. For the price seems very well made.
Shout out to Primary Arms. I ordered this complete upper and an SB4 Brace on Monday and it was on my porch today. They say they ship fast and this being my first order from them they impressed me so far:)

FM1.png FM2.png

I just got a FM9 upper today. Of course it shows up when I am working on my days off and working 12's :eek::eek:
Slapped it on a lower of mine and cycled some rounds just to check feeding and it is slick so far. Now can't wait till next week when I can get to the range. For the price seems very well made.
Shout out to Primary Arms. I ordered this complete upper and an SB4 Brace on Monday and it was on my porch today. They say they ship fast and this being my first order from them they impressed me so far:)

View attachment 634760 View attachment 634761
Awesome. I have been eyeing the 5 inch FM upper from primary arms. It's been in my cart for 2 weeks. I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

Awesome. I have been eyeing the 5 inch FM upper from primary arms. It's been in my cart for 2 weeks. I'd love to hear how it works out for you.
Will post a range test in a matter of days. Already love the damn thing before I even got to shoot it, and Primary was fast as they claim.
The SB Brace is VERY well made too. I toyed with buying one that was like 1/3 the cost. Finally decided hell with it, get something decent to try this and glad I did. Feels very solid and well made. Collapsed the whole damn package will be so easy to pack around. Maybe for Christmas get myself one of the folding adapters for these. They look VERY nice too but are pricey.

Update. After I got off work I headed out to try this out and damn it's a lot of fun. Ran several hundred rounds of 115 and 124 gr FMJ of 3 kinds with no problems. When I put a mag full of 124HP I did get a jam a couple times. Suspect this may be a simple fix. The barrel on these has no feed ramp. Just a chamfer all around the chamber. I noticed the places that sell barrels to use in a build are like this. I am "guessing" this is so they can be used in either a Glock set up or a Colt SMG set up. In either case may try to cut and polish in a ramp on it later. I had 6 G-17 mags and only one happy stick in my bag. For some reason the happy stick would not work. I can't see any difference in it, no sure what Gen it is. Will try a couple more later and see if they will feed. If so must be something off with that one mag although it works great in everything else. This too could be the lack of a feed ramp.
Damn little gun is very easy to shoot. This target is the first 2 mags with me not even really trying. Just firing fast I thought I could get away with before the counter girl would come back there giving me dirty looks. :D
Put a set of BUIS on it too. Took the dot off and tried them and it is still super fun and easy.

Target-11-26.jpg.png

Update. After I got off work I headed out to try this out and damn it's a lot of fun. Ran several hundred rounds of 115 and 124 gr FMJ of 3 kinds with no problems. When I put a mag full of 124HP I did get a jam a couple times. Suspect this may be a simple fix. The barrel on these has no feed ramp. Just a chamfer all around the chamber. I noticed the places that sell barrels to use in a build are like this. I am "guessing" this is so they can be used in either a Glock set up or a Colt SMG set up. In either case may try to cut and polish in a ramp on it later. I had 6 G-17 mags and only one happy stick in my bag. For some reason the happy stick would not work. I can't see any difference in it, no sure what Gen it is. Will try a couple more later and see if they will feed. If so must be something off with that one mag although it works great in everything else. This too could be the lack of a feed ramp.
Damn little gun is very easy to shoot. This target is the first 2 mags with me not even really trying. Just firing fast I thought I could get away with before the counter girl would come back there giving me dirty looks. :D
Put a set of BUIS on it too. Took the dot off and tried them and it is still super fun and easy.

View attachment 635992
I ordered an FM9 5 inch upper last night for my build. I can't wait.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top