JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for all your input guys. My plan is to sell all my registered lowers and replace with 80's and then build some that I have always wanted. I finally found a reasonably priced trust that I can move fire arms and ATF items around at no additional cost.

I'm not into the 80% Building stuff so I'm not going to read all of the Thread. Brownells does offer an online Step by Step video of the entire process.

FWIW - a builder needs to think about the purpose of the firearm and the accoutrements you will be attaching.

One of the three that I will build will be a 'get home' pistol in 7.62x39. This will have a 10 to 14" barrel, and preferably lighter weight components. One of the things I wish to add to it is a DigiTrigger, which requires a removable trigger guard to be installed. I have noted that most of the billet lowers do not have a removable trigger guard.

Also, there is something to be said for the strength of a forged part vs. billet, and especially forged vs. cast.

20171125_130807.jpg 20171125_130837_1511637048348_001.jpg 20171125_130847.jpg 20171125_130819.jpg

The above is a 7.62x39mm I finished up and test fired yesterday. DuraCoat FDE and Combat Black.

i really need to buy a jig and router! a buddy wants to "go in on a jig" with me but something about me using tools to make my living doesnt like that. my tools are MY tools. u know?

Totally agree - I think anyone that works with tools for a living gets a personal connection to those tools. I like mine treated a certain way, organized a certain way. When I had to use shared tools - drill motors, band saws, recip saws, drill indexes, etc., I could never be assured it would work the same way each time. Nope, I'll keep my tools to myself - I don't mind loaning out from time to time, but shared ownership, I'd pass.

When I retire and move, I am going to get some machine tools, probably used, such as a milling machine and a small lathe, then take some machine shop courses again.

When I was at LCC I took a few shop courses as part of my degree program. At that time LCC offered a complete tuition discount for seniors; all you had to pay for was any fees (lab fees, etc.), tuition was free - but degree program students got priority.

So there was one retired guy who was making his own rolling block (IIRC) action in the machine shop. Every semester he would pay the shop fee and get to use all of the machine shop equipment (except the CNC machine) and take his time making his rifle from scratch (he bought the barrel, but he reamed it and crowned it IIRC.

Put this together this morning.
20171126_111149.jpg 20171126_111211.jpg 20171126_111219.jpg 20171126_132137.jpg 20171126_121647.jpg
Not quite as clean as a Bridgeport but fully functional. One tip I'll pass along on black lowers is to use a Sharpie around the edge of the holes so that once assembled there won't be a bright aluminum circle around the pins and selector.

Put this together this morning.
View attachment 408345 View attachment 408346 View attachment 408347 View attachment 408349 View attachment 408350
Not quite as clean as a Bridgeport but fully functional. One tip I'll pass along on black lowers is to use a Sharpie around the edge of the holes so that once assembled there won't be a bright aluminum circle around the pins and selector.
Or re-anodize. What does it take to set up a Type III hard-anodize rig at home anyway? I'm starting to look at options moving beyond polymers, but it defeats the purpose of Ghost Gunning if I have to have an FFL involved and a 4473 to refinish or engrave the lower...

Or re-anodize. What does it take to set up a Type III hard-anodize rig at home anyway? I'm starting to look at options moving beyond polymers, but it defeats the purpose of Ghost Gunning if I have to have an FFL involved and a 4473 to refinish or engrave the lower...

Anodizing at home, completely doable. Hard anodizing at home, not so much

I've been told that someone can finish it for you before you mill it but not after. I could be wrong.

My feeling is once it's all machined it is a complete and finished firearm no different than any other firearm whether it's painted or anodized or bare. You can have your store-bought lower anodized or Cerakoted right? How would an 80% be any different? You cant have anyone finish any part of the work, but when you get to finishing the work to make it a firearm is completed. Its a firearm, anodizing does not make it any more of a firearm than it already was thus finishing is not part of completing its firearm status.

That's how I see it, It's not legal advice nor am I saying I am right. I still feel comfortable with it though. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top