JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Always wanted to build an AK from a flat or 80% receiver but it seemed pretty cost prohibited because of the tools involved.

But now Im seeing bent 80% receivers with rails already welded in. Trunion removal/install tools that dont need a 15 ton press. So it looks like things are getting easier to build one.

Anyone have information on new build kits or tools that make it easier to build an AK?

Im just collecting ideas at this point

Well.... Why not buy a receiver for your first build? At least that way you could put one together without having to stress if you got the receiver right. After that do another from a flat/ 80% receiver.

Thats been my plan. I actually have all the parts and a Nodak receiver but just have not spent the time to get it done.

Well.... Why not buy a receiver for your first build? At least that way you could put one together without having to stress if you got the receiver right. After that do another from a flat/ 80% receiver.

Thats been my plan. I actually have all the parts and a Nodak receiver but just have not spent the time to get it done.

Im in a state where I have to get a permit to light fireworks off for New Years. It is limited by time and date and amount. if I want to launch a firework into the air I have to get a different permit that costs 4 times as much. If I want a few extra fireworks I have to buy another permit. I'm *this close* to not paying my taxes and saying F this whole country because I'm supposed to get permits to celebrate freedom? In no way am I going to give the state access to my medical records to get a permit to buy a receiver.

Plus I already built one from a 100% barrel receiver and my son tells me it functions with "Russian like efficiency"
WF5yIgO.jpg

Now it is not illegal in my state to buy tools. I dont need a permit to buy flat pieces of metal yet. so right now I'm looking at buying tools. I of course wont make anything without getting the proper legal permitted permission. :mad:

Tagged in case this turns into a how-to thread. I like building things.

And Bolus, we'll save some freedom for you in case you decide to move east when your sentence has been served. My condolences.

My understanding/remembrance (which could be very flawed) is that once bent and the rails attached, the receiver needs to be heat treated?

So yeah, if the bending/etc. is done then I would like to build an AK pistol rather than an AR pistol in 7.62x39.

I wonder how much it would take to build a bullpup from the kit?

328353_01_norinco_ak47_type_86s_bullpup__640.jpg

Centerfire has AK 47 (and others) new parts kits. Their AK parts kits are new parts from the Romanian Cugir factory that are imported by M+M (rather than the usual demilled used rifle parts kits).

They also offer the kit with a populated US made barrel. (population means the gas block and front site and trunion are already pressed on the barrel making a build without a press much more doable at home. I called and they should be headspaced as well though I'd always recommend checking.

Romanian PM-63 AK-47 7.62x39 Parts Kit NOW with Populated 16" USA Made Nitrided Barrel

kit-ak11_1_.jpg

Centerfire has AK 47 (and others) new parts kits. Their AK parts kits are new parts from the Romanian Cugir factory that are imported by M+M (rather than the usual demilled used rifle parts kits).

They also offer the kit with a populated US made barrel. (population means the gas block and front site and trunion are already pressed on the barrel making a build without a press much more doable at home. I called and they should be headspaced as well though I'd always recommend checking.

Romanian PM-63 AK-47 7.62x39 Parts Kit NOW with Populated 16" USA Made Nitrided Barrel

View attachment 459141

FYI, on further research, the front trunnion in this kit does not have the holes drilled in it for the rivets. You can tell by the pics. Since the barrel is already pressed into the trunnion, you would have to press out the barrel, drill the trunnion and then press the barrel back in and headspace it.

The alternative though is that this can be welded to a receiver or drilled and tapped for screws without removing the barrel.

As far as I can tell, there are no jigs for drilling holes in the trunnion.

This is what the trunnion in his kit looks like (Apex also sells it separate and new from the factory without rivet holes.
1nov17_rom-8296_mid01f.jpg

This is where the rivet holes usually go:
polish_new_front_trunnion_3.jpg

So I've had a chance to check out 2 AK 80% receivers.

Recreator Blanks. Has a 80% receiver minus the FCG pin holes and the trunnion pin holes. Hardened. no protective coating other than a little oil. rails are already welded in and you can get the center support rivet in place

https://www.recreatorblanks.com/onl...-Hardened-and-Welded-Receiver-Blank-p94844103

Childers. Same setup except you can get the front and rear trunnion rivet holes drilled. these are undersized by about 0.5mm probably because trunnion holes can vary from maker to maker.

This one has a black oxide like finish already though just may be from the molten salt hardening bath.

http://www.childersguns.com/AK-Receiver-Blanks-80-Percent-heat-treated/AK-47-blank-rails

I think both are equally as good of quality. ship in about 6 weeks.

assuming all the other parts are complete (barrel populated) these receivers would only need the pin drill jig and something to smash the rivets in place in the trunnions and trigger guard. Trunnion rivets holes are typically drilled by using the existing holes in the trunnion as guides for the drill.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top