JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting way to do it broach the rails basically. Custom Cutter? It just looks like a Carbide Insert?

small carbide cutter that lowers as the knob turns. shaves off a small amount each pass by hand. Second cutter with the same motion for the barrel seat.

the jig is easy to use.

rXxNnkP.jpg

So the final word on the sarco kit is it is "ok" Guess you get what you pay for. The slide is nice. The sear spring was bent out of shape to the point that the grip safety did not work. I bent it to get it to work but that sure does make you nervous and I got a new one.

The guide rod was just odd. It was like it was too large. several times when racking the slide, the guide rod with fully compressed spring would bind up in the slide itself leaving the slide completely loose. Weird. got a new guide rod and it is fine now.

The hammer does not stay cocked unless the slide is pulled all the way back. So I'll probably go with a new hammer and sear as well.

Sooooo, like I've read elsewhere, if you start with the cheep kit you do end up replacing parts with better ones. But nothing was match so nothing needed fitting. Put the parts in (that work) and it is ready to go. zero 1911 specialty tools needed

Oh, its a bit fugly too
C2fNMLD.jpg

Cool project though and I bet you learned plenty.

Putting one of these together instantly gives you knowledge on what is a good 1911. Especially when you match all the parts. Im sure there is still a ton for me to learn to make a really good one, but it was still a great education.

Like this. Hand fit match barrel

KoVcX7K.jpg

Drop in one from the kit. Its only about 0.5mm gap there but most of the parts are like that

1h92XS9.jpg

I ran across another jig for 80%1911's that does not need a milling machine. This one looks like it will be a lot better for steel receivers.

Rail cutter
<broken link removed>

Barrel seat cutter
<broken link removed>

Decking jig
<broken link removed>

You'd also need a jig to drill the pin holes so it does raise the cost because of having to buy 4 separate jigs.

I got a clark 460 Rowland kit on the way
http://clarkcustomguns.com/parts-category/1911/

Their website is a bit lacking but the guy I talked to was a knowledgeable dude. They make the kit in drop in and match grade (I ordered match)

They used to sell a 6" which I tried to order but they did not have enough people interested. with the compensator it would make it 7" which I think would be awesome but I'll settle for the standard gov length.

Right after I posted the links someone bought the 1911 decking jig:cool: so Im waiting on that before I order anything else.

Good ol' Underwood sells 460 Rowland
<broken link removed>

For those interested, a review of 6 of the 80% frames out there. I agree that the stealth arms one is a good aluminum one. I will be getting the 1911 builder stainless frame for the Rowland build
this video is by the guy who makes the matrix precision jigs

Last Edited:
Matrix precision has the decking tool back in stock, I got the barrel seat cutter as well but will first try the rails with my phantom jig. The barrel seat is more difficult to cut with that jig because the throw distance is so short. I imagine it would be a lot more difficult to cut steel with it. But the rails might be ok if I break up the 800 or so passes into several days to hold off carpal tunnel. I have all the parts (minus grips and sights) for the 460 rowland build on the way.

anyone else building 1911s? It would be great to hear about your project here as well.

Matrix precision decking jigs are sold out again. are you guys buying them?

I saw a comment on one of their videos that Matrix is making a sig226 80% kit with jigs this year.

I got the matrix decking jig and barrel seat cutter. very well made tools. I tried the decking tool on my old sarco receiver. No wonder I didnt like the receiver. the deck needed a bunch of work (the stealth arms receivers did not). I might be able to salvage it for a back up receiver now or a practice receiver for tools.

the decking jig is back in stock at 1911 builders. They are slow though. my receiver still hasnt shipped yet
<broken link removed>

For those of you considering such a build. stealth arms sells a practice receiver for $35
https://www.stealtharms.net/1911-test-frame.html

limited-10 with a couple of lowers.

still haven't actually cut them as i keep getting caught up with other....cheaper...projects, lol

the 2011's are something i want to spend alot of time and money on, i've been short on both since i bought them about 8 months ago, lol

limited-10 with a couple of lowers.

still haven't actually cut them as i keep getting caught up with other....cheaper...projects, lol

the 2011's are something i want to spend alot of time and money on, i've been short on both since i bought them about 8 months ago, lol

cool. it looks like their jig needs a milling machine for the rails. I wonder if a 2011 frame would fit in one of my 1911 jigs. I'd rather spend the money on parts than a decent milling machine.

I'd love to try and replicate something similar to this hand made 2011
pt2011-index.jpg
http://www.guntechtips.com/

yeah, my goal is to make 3 2011's, the first two will be 9mm and 45 and the last one i'll pick up a steel frame and make myself a perfect-10 longslide.

they are just gorgeous guns!

i'm really not quite sure about the need for a mill, i've always had one so i'm unsure of the capabilities you guys have with the drill presses, i really have no doubt though that you could get it to "work" but am not sure of how tight it would be...i also don't know the exact dimensions of the 2011 vs 1911, but it seems as if it should work, all of the holes you need to drill and rail that you cut are all in the exact same place dimensionally, it just depends on the profile and the thickness of the piece vs the jig and what it was designed for...pretty sure you could *make* it work... but not sure if anyone would want to do that....i know on my AR jigs i'll typically mill out clearances for flared mag wells and other designs, i could see doing the same thing with the 2011 in a 1911 jig...

really alot of rambling on my part there as i really have no idea.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top