JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anybody know of someone who will finish one of these projects ? My health is holding me up and I would like to get this done. All that is left is the frame rails to cut.
Thanks
Skidder

mostly done. forgot to order grip screws and a slide lock (scavenged one from another gun for now). I also took too much off the barrel hood and ordered a chamber reamer since its a tad to short now. trigger still feels gritty so I need to do some more polishing.

Interesting experience building one. Its kind of like building a car from a bunch of random parts. Clearly not made to go together and you have to try and fit everything. And the fitting isnt standard either, its a lot of trial and error.

LhKXE6n.jpg

I think Im finished (havent fired it yet, so perhaps not). after figuring out the barrel link was just a tad big it is nice and smooth now. Barrel lines up with the firing pin, Headspace is now correct (the chamber reamer was very easy to use). Safety's work.

For those considering doing one, I guess you have to be willing to drop a bunch of money on something that may fail horribly. But I did it all with hand tools, a drill press, buffing wheel and a dremel. And I dont have anything other than drill press experience. I used online guides and Im sure it helped to buy decent parts from the start. Very rewarding project

FdVb3V9.jpg
yfig9QW.jpg

Last Edited:
I think Im finished (havent fired it yet, so perhaps not). after figuring out the barrel link was just a tad big it is nice and smooth now. Barrel lines up with the firing pin, Headspace is now correct (the chamber reamer was very easy to use). Safety's work.

For those considering doing one, I guess you have to be willing to drop a bunch of money on something that may fail horribly. But I did it all with hand tools, a drill press, buffing wheel and a dremel. And I dont have anything other than drill press experience. I used online guides and Im sure it helped to buy decent parts from the start. Very rewarding project

View attachment 247700

Fantastic job Bolus. That's a beautiful 1911. Something to be proud of.

Does anybody know of someone who will finish one of these projects ? My health is holding me up and I would like to get this done. All that is left is the frame rails to cut.
Thanks
Skidder

are you near Portland? Any conditions that limit the use of your hands? If your frame is steel it would be pretty tough on the hands but could be done. aluminum was pretty easy. It would involve standing over a vise and firm gripping with both hands and 200-300 passes. So if you had arthritis or carpal tunnel it is going to be tough. You'd need to have some close up vision and also have to use some metal files for tuning the fit to the slide.

I dont think someone can help you make it without being registered as a manufacturer.

are you near Portland? Any conditions that limit the use of your hands? If your frame is steel it would be pretty tough on the hands but could be done. aluminum was pretty easy. It would involve standing over a vise and firm gripping with both hands and 200-300 passes. So if you had arthritis or carpal tunnel it is going to be tough. You'd need to have some close up vision and also have to use some metal files for tuning the fit to the slide.

I dont think someone can help you make it without being registered as a manufacturer.

Bolus, This has bean a nice project to follow and i thank you for your info, Carpal & Arthritis I know all to well but this is something that I am going to have to dive into.

Very nice job on your 1911.

Oh my gosh that looks like so much fun. I need to find some inexpensive sources for a 1911, 10/22 and an AR. They seem to be the only 80%ers i can find for sale anywhere. But golly, that just looks like an evening that HAS to happen.

What's your impression on the quality of that kit? Are the internals MIM?
I was pleasantly surprised for the cost. I dont know how to tell if they are MIM. The barrel has some faint tooling marks and these are all drop in parts. There is definitely a little wiggle when the barrel seats into the slide. the grips are crap. Other than that its good

first time was apparently not a fluke. Took me about an hour to finish the receiver this time.

Definitely worth measuring as you go on this cutter. It says to turn the knob 19 steps to lower the cutter for the rails and I only needed 18 to get the 0.061 depth.

BWn0uCC.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads