JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, I had a little trouble calling it obsolete when I typed that, but as much as I love my old M1's I do have to admit that they are well past their prime by modern military standards.

I like the old Carbine too. I've had mine for about 30 years and have shot literally thousands of rounds through it. My son likes it a lot now. They didn't have quite the rock-solid reputation of the Garand but they're still a great little rifle. Mine is a WWII typewriter gun (Underwood). I think I paid $120 for it back then.

They will only be available through the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program), and to buy one, you'll have to have participated in an official CMP/Service Rifle shoot. I've participated in 2 events at Douglas Ridge, so I have the okay to buy a rifle from the CMP. Those events are available throughout the year, and they have rifles and ammo you can use if you don't already have one. If it's your first time, you'll be required to take a class the night before a match.

Honestly, if you want to buy a Garand, it's a great way to go, because they will teach you how to operate/load the gun and how to shoot it properly. They'll also teach you how to avoid "Garand thumb". So far, I have been able to avoid it myself.
Not just service rifle competition but competition with an approved organization. Appleseed for instance works I believe.

Obsolete?

It eject its own clip. [You only have to load it]
Just think of all the weight you save not packing magazines?
It can easily reach it's sustained fire rate. [Similar to a M-14's]
Plus it will shoot through a 18'' oak tree to reach you.;)

I would take it into harms way still today.

+1 on that. If it hit the fan, I'd rock my Garland. Lack of advanced optics are a big drawback vs next gen semi carbines, but I will not feel under gunned with .30-06. Even in modern warfare, I look at it like a faster, big bore bolt action rifle.
Looking to pick up a D model do I won't feel bad about mounting some form of optic on it ;)

M1's are neat old rifles. Of all the rounds I've fired through one over the years I've never injured my thumb. If you're careful you're fine. That Hakim I once had, on the other hand...

It's actually pretty easy to qualify to buy one through the CMP. As mentioned, proof of marksmanship participation is fairly easily done. Then you need to be a member of an affiliated organization which is also relatively easy. A lot of people won't buy through the CMP because of "all the hassle", but it's really not that bad, and worth it in my opinion. Back when I got mine they were quite a bit cheaper, and ammo was cheap too.

Personally I think the Garand was about two generations ahead of anything anyone else had at the time. They've been obsolete for a long time now but they're still a great old rifle.

View attachment 370706
Obsolete for a functioning military I'll grant you... but imagine the looks on the faces of wannabe robbers and rapists come the Apocalypse!:oops: That there is FUNNY, I dont care WHO ya are!

I got my thumb busted by an M1A, and I can still kinda "feel" it when I think about it. Sort of a rite of passage into a club of manhood... Lost the fingernail on that one, do that count?
Yea, I got mine the first time Gramps handed me his M1 and showed me how to run it, I was 8!!! Just barely nicked my thumb, but drew blood none the less!!!
Yup, it's a pretty exclusive club, and only real men and women can join!!!!:p:D:p:D

Yep I like the Garand too...had one set up for 7.62X51, wish ta heck I hadn't sold it to a co-worker who wanted a hearth and home gun and had carried the Garand during and after his stint in the Korean War... It's not like Im lacking rifles or anything, but.... sigh....:s0110:
Maybe I'll find one floatin around that I can afford.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top