JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I heard about this. Another good reason to get that C&R liscense i've been pondering. Only allowed to buy 8 a year :(...I only wish I had to worry about that.

I wouldn't mind having one of these. @etrain16 , it says to qualify for a purchase from The CMP a current concealed carry permit will do it too.

The program also requires proof of prior participation in a marksmanship related activity or proof that the individual is knowledgeable about the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. This proof can be current or prior military or law enforcement service or the completion of specific training courses, the possession of a current concealed carry license, or other certifications. The state or municipality where the individual lives may have additional restrictions.

I've got to wonder what kind of shape 50+ year old rifles that have been kept, basically, in a jungle setting would be like? Rust?

I wouldn't mind having one of these. @etrain16 , it says to qualify for a purchase from The CMP a current concealed carry permit will do it too.

The program also requires proof of prior participation in a marksmanship related activity or proof that the individual is knowledgeable about the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. This proof can be current or prior military or law enforcement service or the completion of specific training courses, the possession of a current concealed carry license, or other certifications. The state or municipality where the individual lives may have additional restrictions.

I've got to wonder what kind of shape 50+ year old rifles that have been kept, basically, in a jungle setting would be like? Rust?

I saw this awhile back on the outdoor channel... found it on youtube... shows what they do at CMP to prep before selling...

OK. I have my fair share. So here is a tip.

Did you know it takes two days to get your request mailed to the CMP from Portland?

Why dose this matter you ask?

Because when they have a limited number of a certain type gun. [Like the few Rock-ola and IBM carbines they had.] Your request will be set aside if they receive it early, before the sale is officially started. And if it's not there on the first day they open sales on that type of gun. You aint gona get one!

Yes. And no.

They like a certain pressure curve.
But I'm told they can be easily modified to shoot most any 30-06 ammo.

I myself have a bit of M1 ammo saved up. So have not considered altering my rifles.
I've noticed that some reloading manuals have specific data for the Garand. Seems like you'd want to be following that if making your own.

There are adjustable gas plugs made for the Garand and the latest one to come to market is a hollow gas plug that slows the peak pressure dwell time sufficiently enough to run modern hunting ammo.

Wow! I just decided to tuck this tidbit in here. Not big enough for a whole thread!

So...laying here watching an old documentary about the USSR in WW2 and their showing a shot of a soldier directing trucks on frozen Lake Ladoga, outside of a surrounded Leningrad in 1942. And, this guy is packing a 1903 Springfield! Wow! Lend Lease, baby!
Maybe we could write Stalin and have those sent home! I'd take one! :)

Last Edited:
Wow! I just decided to tuck this tidbit in here. Not big enough for a whole thread!

So...laying here watching an old documentary about the USSR in WW2 and their showing a shot of a soldier directing trucks on frozen Lake Ladoga, outside of a surrounded Leningrad in 1942. And, this guy is packing a 1903 Springfield! Wow! Lend Lease, baby!
Maybe we could write Stalin and have those sent home! I'd take one! :)

I'll take one!!

A friend of mine had a cyrillic marked 1911A1 neat pistol , but kinda weird seeing Russian markings on a iconic US GI pistol.
Kinda like those 1895 Winchesters in 7.62 Russian....
Andy

M1's are neat old rifles. Of all the rounds I've fired through one over the years I've never injured my thumb. If you're careful you're fine. That Hakim I once had, on the other hand...

It's actually pretty easy to qualify to buy one through the CMP. As mentioned, proof of marksmanship participation is fairly easily done. Then you need to be a member of an affiliated organization which is also relatively easy. A lot of people won't buy through the CMP because of "all the hassle", but it's really not that bad, and worth it in my opinion. Back when I got mine they were quite a bit cheaper, and ammo was cheap too.

Personally I think the Garand was about two generations ahead of anything anyone else had at the time. They've been obsolete for a long time now but they're still a great old rifle.

M1.jpg

Obsolete?

It eject its own clip. [You only have to load it]
Just think of all the weight you save not packing magazines?
It can easily reach it's sustained fire rate. [Similar to a M-14's]
Plus it will shoot through a 18'' oak tree to reach you.;)

I would take it into harms way still today.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads