JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Found this article at PoliceOne.com, thru USACarry:
8 tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens

:s0155:

WOW, great article!! I hope every LEO reads it.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

I guess if a person is open carrying then at least the officer knows where the gun is and and has an idea of what he is dealing with. That said, the only time I open carry is in the mountains. I don't want the attention (good or bad) of openly carrying while going around town minding my own business. Just seems like an invitation for un-needed scrutiny.

ssss

A side note to the citizen carrying openly: You should expect to be contacted law enforcement. You should expect to be feared by some, and considered to be a person of interest to many. Understand that by wearing a weapon in the open, you raise the perceived threat level in the eyes of law enforcement and other citizens. Friendly behavior goes a long way. People key on behavior rather than the weapon. Most folks respond well to a smile, polite behavior or a warm hello rather than a cold stare. I recommend that approach. You will be surprised how many people respond in a positive manner when you do that. Actually, this holds true on both sides of an open carry discussion, contact, or encounter...

Good read. I don't know very much about the laws regarding firearms - what are regulations and limitations for open carry?

some cities apparently have ordnances that restrict where you can open carry, but all of these are nullified if you possess a concealed handgun permit. since possessing a CHP is an affirmative defense to violating these ordnances, you WILL be confronted, possibly hassled pretty bad, and be required to present your CHP. all other places where firearms are prohibited are clearly marked at all entrances- federal buildings, court rooms and sometimes courthouses as a whole, certain areas of LE buildings.. just watch for signs.

i don't open carry unless there's a specific need to. last weekend, i OC'd at Rocky Butte, a state park in the middle of portland, during a ropes class i put on for my local training group, as there's no practical way to concealed carry when you're covered in harnesses and equipment. we did get some stares from other park patrons, but no issues. but aside from things like this, i'm covering up.

all this is for Oregon- WA has their own laws.

This will pretty much depend on where one lives. For those in Washington Open Carry is totally legal and there is a State Preemption statute prohibiting local government from regulating any more strict than State Law.

Only Concealed Carry without a permit is prohibited. It is unlawful to carry in any manner intended to intimidate, threaten, or Alarm. The specifics are contained in RCW 9.41.270. While OC is not illegal in Washington, all Federal restrictions still apply and individual property owners can prohibit the practice on their property.

Best thing ANY person carrying a firearm can do, whether open or concealed, is to familiarize themselves with the laws where they will be carrying. WA has made it easier with their preemptive statute but other States can be a little more difficult.

I guess if a person is open carrying then at least the officer knows where the gun is and and has an idea of what he is dealing with. That said, the only time I open carry is in the mountains. I don't want the attention (good or bad) of openly carrying while going around town minding my own business. Just seems like an invitation for un-needed scrutiny.

Not much scrutiny. Here is me and a buddy with the Washington State Attorney General...

Well, i thought it was a good article, too. I do not open carry except as pointed above by others, and for the same reasons. Neither do I feel inclined to make a political statement but I am sure others who do will benefit.

I open carry when walking the dog in the area around my house (rural and wildlife around) for ease of access if I need to use it. I do carry OWB most of the time and cover with a jacket or loose T-shirt but I really dont care if some one catches a glimpse when my weapon "prints". I think its good that this info is getting out. It only serves to help all parties involved

Not a big fan of O/C personally. I've done it a few times just to do it, but not generally.

It scars the sheep. Scared sheep pass stupid laws. It doesn't in any way advance the cause, which is getting people who may never own a gun in their lives to realize that gun owners are safe. It just cements bad images they may have already had about gun owners as gun-toting wackos looking for a confrontation. -Strictly my opinion, YMMV.

Not a big fan of O/C personally. I've done it a few times just to do it, but not generally.

It scars the sheep. Scared sheep pass stupid laws. It doesn't in any way advance the cause, which is getting people who may never own a gun in their lives to realize that gun owners are safe. It just cements bad images they may have already had about gun owners as gun-toting wackos looking for a confrontation. -Strictly my opinion, YMMV.

I don't agree, sheeple will generally remain sheeple regardless of my open carrying, which I have done every day for over 15 years. If you aren't interested in Open Carry-Great, however I don't crap on your desire to carry concealed...

WOW, great article!! I hope every LEO reads it.

I hope every OCer does as well...

A side note to the citizen carrying openly: You should expect to be contacted law enforcement. You should expect to be feared by some, and considered to be a person of interest to many. Understand that by wearing a weapon in the open, you raise the perceived threat level in the eyes of law enforcement and other citizens. Friendly behavior goes a long way. People key on behavior rather than the weapon. Most folks respond well to a smile, polite behavior or a warm hello rather than a cold stare. I recommend that approach. You will be surprised how many people respond in a positive manner when you do that. Actually, this holds true on both sides of an open carry discussion, contact, or encounter...

Found this article at PoliceOne.com, thru USACarry:
8 tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens

:s0155:

Interesting article.
When I lived in a subdivision of Detroit, I applied for a CC permit. (As an owner of a gun shop carrying cash and guns on occasion to, and from gun shows)
They denied me the permit. I was allowed to open-carry though.
They stated the CC permit was for hunters only. I said "If I was hunting, why would I CC?"
Never got an answer..............
Michigan is really messed up on gun stuff.

I would be so nervous about getting negative attention it would give me an ulcer. I don't see the benefit out weighing the risk..imo. Don't get me wrong, I would love oc to be accepted and as normal as carrying your wallet... I think the right gun/holster combo can make a nice fashion statement too ;) I would have a gun for each type of attire...that would be neat

I'm really surprised at the comments by people that are supposed to be our core support for the second amendment. If we don't support firearms carry who will? Ignorance breeds fear. It's no different than racism. everyone I've ever met that has irrational fear of handguns has never been exposed to them. Criminals don't open carry. This is why laws focus on concealed carry, not open carry. We've become a society of hoplophobes and if we dont start to take advantage of our rights we will lose them. Get out there and carry that gun daily and the public will slowly start getting over this irrational fear they have.

I hear you smiddy. And to some degree I agree with you But your advice can end up costing someone a lot of grief, time and money. And probably their chl too... People get in legal trouble for oc'ing all the time. It's bs, but legal trouble none the less

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top