JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was looking to get some extra factory mags for my Para 1911 (96963) but i can't find anywhere with them in stock.

I've been told that not all mags will fit/lock correctly because it's an 8 round, so i was wondering if anyone knows who makes their 8 round magazine with the end cap on it?

I think you've been given incorrect information. Since you have a single stack 1911 I can't imagine why a regular ol 1911 mag wouldn't work. They come in 7 and 8 round, plus 10 round mags that stick out of the grip frame a bit.
Just hit up a gun store or someone like Sportsmans or Fishermans to see what they have.

I actually just found what i think i was looking for. But the information i was given was the issue with the standard mags being longer bodies to accommodate the 8th round, rather than being a redesigned spring/follower.

Anyway, the description and picture of the Mec Gar mags (Mec-Gar Magazines) seem to match up perfectly with the factory mags i have, so these should be a good choice. (I know the factory mags for this particular gun are pretty darn reliable and seem to feed everything)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're trying too hard. (or overthinking the issue) I have several 7 and 8 round mags. Some have bumper pads, some don't. They all fit and function in every 1911 single stack I've owned. In fact, they will work in shorter framed guns (Officer size) just not the other way around.

Now i know they're good mags, but i don't know if they're redesigned spring/followers to allow the 8th round, or actually a longer body?

Orygun, yeah, that's likely, but some mags do not even catch correctly in my gun, i'll have to confirm the exact issues tomorrow at work (friend has same gun with 5000+ rounds through it)

I have said pistol and have many different mags. The only ones I have problems with are the 7 rounders. Every 8 rounder I have tried works without issue.

I see nothing about that gun that leads me to believe any good quality mag shouldn't work. See the "notch" in the front of the magwell? That's to allow the regular 7 or 8 round magazine floor plate to fit. The plastic floor plate of your mag is notched to match, but that's only a visual thing.
I'd be more concerned with the brand of mags that don't "catch" correctly. I'd avoid them.
If you want to try some before spendin your money, I have Colt, Colt knock offs, Dan Wesson, Chip McCormick, Novak and Ruger I would let you try in your gun. We would just need to meet up. PM me if you're interested. One of us would surely learn sumpthin! :)

I have the expert, and I have not had any trouble with the chip McCormick, colt, Mec-gar, or an unstamped 7 rounder. The bodies of the 7 and 8 round mags are all the same size/length.

Thanks all, good to know i'm not going crazy too :) Orygun, thanks for the offer, but i think it won't be required and would be a let down for you to learn something that isn't true :}

Ben, your MecGars, do they seem to be identical to the factory mags? i'm curious :)

have a feeling some one has been blowing smoke up your ....... . generally 8 round mags will use a smaller diameter spring and a different follower to allow an 8th round. I have bought a bunch of different mags over the years. If you want a mag that you can load and leave loaded long term 7 rounders work great, I wouldn't trust an 8 rounder to do the same.

as far as fit goes your para should accept any decent 1911 mag.

The para mags have the pad but the mec-gars are flush.

Ahh right, sounds like you have a different version of the mecgars, the ones i'm looking at are with butt plate/pad and also have the exact same type of follower as the para mag, is the mecgar follower in your mags the same too?