JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So Q comes out with the 8.6 blackout. Cut down 6.5 Creedmore case with a .338 projectile. The 6.5 case cuts down lower for a nice long heavy .338 round, they then put a short 1:3 twist in the barrel (basically threads!) But the fast twist spins that heavier long 300gr round to stabilize for slow subsonic flight. Go super and your tossing a huge 210 gr round at 1900fps, that is going to have some punch. But if we are going loud with a .338 round lets just go .338 Lalpua and get the job one and done.

Ok so the subsonic is why we want any of these really. So our gain here is 300 grains stabilized hitting with 80 more grains of mass at the same speed over a 220gr 300BLK. That is a punch.

I just dont think this round is going to knock 300BLK off its spot. Cost wise the ammo for 8.6Blk makes 300BLK look budget, both new and to load it.

8.6blk is made from cut down 6.5 Creemore cases, but who finds those all over the range like 5.56 cases! Most 6.5C are bolt guns and at the new cost of 6.5C not many are just chucking them on the deck, let alone slapping 30round mag after mag in. I have only found 6.5C a few times at the range and usually less than one 20 round box worth. So you are already starting with a relatively special, costly new cartridge (6.5C) that is mostly fired from a gun that holds the brass and most shooters only shoot a few doz rounds in a trip to the range.

The projectile, yes the same size wise as .338 but since more .338 projectiles are made for very fast flight they have supper heavy jackets on them, when shot at the lower speeds the jacket is going to hold it all together. Well this is the same for 300BLK shooting most 7.62 projectiles. BUT .338 cost vrs the very common 7.62 its a monster difference.

Bottom line I think the 8.6blk may have a home in the special bolt action sub 150yrd shots but otherwise just no change it will rivel what the 300BLK use is.

Thoughts? Anyone with or shot one?

7A467790-280D-4F18-BED7-5F48093ACBA4.jpeg

You can't fit a. 338 Lapua in an AR of any size. I like that there's a good, powerful sub option on the market and the 1:3 twist is interesting if it catches on

I think I am suffering from caliber overload as it is. I'm not really interested in another solution in search of a problem.

I do find it ironic though, that people will whine about the price of 300 blackout, but lust over 2-3 times more expensive 8.6 blackout...like a second mortgage for the latest Gucci round is no big deal. Different strokes I guess...

I watched a video on the 8.6 a while back and the super fast spin made it almost explosive on impact. I'm sure the bullets were cherry picked to show the effect but it was kind of impressive. Still a hard pass for me, I'll stick with my 300blk bolt and semi's

I think I am suffering from caliber overload as it is. I'm not really interested in another solution in search of a problem.

I do find it ironic though, that people will whine about the price of 300 blackout, but lust over 2-3 times more expensive 8.6 blackout...like a second mortgage for the latest Gucci round is no big deal. Different strokes
Must be another forum "Lusting" over the 8.6 BLK, I only found one other thread with it mentioned in 2021 about load data.

As for whineing about 300BLK pricing, well thats all over this board for the past three years. "Price gouging etc." all BS. My 300BLK subs cost about $0.47 each with Hornady ELDX 220 projectiles. Suppers are $0.32 each and both shoot better than any commercial loads. I love shooting 300BLK and loading it. One of the main reasons I looked at the 8.6 Blk data, its interesting but I dont thin it will go far.

I don't see the two as competitors.
In the end yes I agree with this. However at first I did not. Its marketed as a Simi auto Subsonic round. All these subsonic rounds are basicly crap past 150yrds so they are competing for the same use overall. But with the avaliblety, cost, options etc of 300BLK there is no way the 8.6blk is going to put a dent in that market.

When it comes shooting deadly at 125yrds a 300gr round is clearly going to do more damage than a 220 going the same speed. They are different critters.

So Q comes out with the 8.6 blackout. Cut down 6.5 Creedmore case with a .338 projectile. The 6.5 case cuts down lower for a nice long heavy .338 round, they then put a short 1:3 twist in the barrel (basically threads!) But the fast twist spins that heavier long 300gr round to stabilize for slow subsonic flight. Go super and your tossing a huge 210 gr round at 1900fps, that is going to have some punch. But if we are going loud with a .338 round lets just go .338 Lalpua and get the job one and done.

Ok so the subsonic is why we want any of these really. So our gain here is 300 grains stabilized hitting with 80 more grains of mass at the same speed over a 220gr 300BLK. That is a punch.

I just dont think this round is going to knock 300BLK off its spot. Cost wise the ammo for 8.6Blk makes 300BLK look budget, both new and to load it.

8.6blk is made from cut down 6.5 Creemore cases, but who finds those all over the range like 5.56 cases! Most 6.5C are bolt guns and at the new cost of 6.5C not many are just chucking them on the deck, let alone slapping 30round mag after mag in. I have only found 6.5C a few times at the range and usually less than one 20 round box worth. So you are already starting with a relatively special, costly new cartridge (6.5C) that is mostly fired from a gun that holds the brass and most shooters only shoot a few doz rounds in a trip to the range.

The projectile, yes the same size wise as .338 but since more .338 projectiles are made for very fast flight they have supper heavy jackets on them, when shot at the lower speeds the jacket is going to hold it all together. Well this is the same for 300BLK shooting most 7.62 projectiles. BUT .338 cost vrs the very common 7.62 its a monster difference.

Bottom line I think the 8.6blk may have a home in the special bolt action sub 150yrd shots but otherwise just no change it will rivel what the 300BLK use is.

Thoughts? Anyone with or shot one?

View attachment 1285179
It's an interesting little beast. The videos of it being used in Africa for big game hunting is pretty impressive.

I got a Faxon Overwatch Tactical bolt-action "pistol" and 40 rounds of factory handloads from Faxon, 250gr Barnes. Haven't shot it though, before I got a scope for it I blew the engine in my Hilux. Now the gun's gotta go, last in-first out. :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top